The Student Room Group

A level subject help!

so i’ve signed up for a sixth form and had my interview, but recently i’ve been thinking about doing art instead of biology. however i have not chosen art in GCSE. any advice on what to do 😰i have enjoy art so much recently and used to do it a lot. i am relatively good at it as i paint pictures of peoples pets. i just don’t know how to get into it without a GCSE in art!
Reply 1
Im sure that's fine, ik at my school someone didnt do art GCSE the art teacher asked to see their personal artbook or sketchpad and they were fine with it and allowed to do Alevel.

Idk if youve got a place and can talk to your art department at your 6th form, but if i were you the first thing I would do would be to email the sixth form abt it

gl, dont rush the decision you have ages to decide and you can still change once school has actually started. Have you thought abou taking both and then dropping one?
Reply 2
Original post by ruby.rose177
so i’ve signed up for a sixth form and had my interview, but recently i’ve been thinking about doing art instead of biology. however i have not chosen art in GCSE. any advice on what to do 😰i have enjoy art so much recently and used to do it a lot. i am relatively good at it as i paint pictures of peoples pets. i just don’t know how to get into it without a GCSE in art!

Hey,
I did GCSE Art and A level Fine Art. You will definitely be able to choose Art at a level however they will want to see some sort of portfolio demonstrating the skills you have. A level art is very different to gcse art which is why it doesn’t really matter if you didn’t take it. As long as you can show your own work you will be fine :smile:. Any questions feel free to ask!
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by MJubb22
Hey,
I did GCSE Art and A level Fine Art. You will definitely be able to choose Art at a level however they will want to see some sort of portfolio demonstrating the skills you have. A level art is very different to gcse art which is why it doesn’t really matter if you didn’t take it. As long as you can show your own work you will be fine :smile:. Any questions feel free to ask!

thankyou so much, made me feel better and less panicky 😰 i’m glad i don’t need gcse art, i chose my options ages ago which was unfair as i didn’t know what id be doing in the future!
Original post by Rara345
Im sure that's fine, ik at my school someone didnt do art GCSE the art teacher asked to see their personal artbook or sketchpad and they were fine with it and allowed to do Alevel.

Idk if youve got a place and can talk to your art department at your 6th form, but if i were you the first thing I would do would be to email the sixth form abt it

gl, dont rush the decision you have ages to decide and you can still change once school has actually started. Have you thought abou taking both and then dropping one?

all my friends and a few teachers are telling me to make my decision soon! then my parents are telling me to take my time, so that’s why i’m here asking other students. so i’ve been all panicky, but thankyou i feel better about it now. yes i got in the sixth form and i will attempt to email the art department, thankyou so much for your advice !
-sorry taking both and dropping what?
Reply 6
all my friends and a few teachers are telling me to make my decision soon! then my parents are telling me to take my time, so that’s why i’m here asking other students. so i’ve been all panicky, but thankyou i feel better about it now. yes i got in the sixth form and i will attempt to email the art department, thankyou so much for your advice !

Bio and art and dropping one once youve experienced the course more .
Yh panic, you have enough time to decide and you dont want to rush!
Reply 7

If it’s any help I studies bio and art along side chem I can give you advice if you need it !
Original post by MJubb22
If it’s any help I studies bio and art along side chem I can give you advice if you need it !

ahhh thankyou! i’m still trying to decide, sorry for this late reply havent got any notifications from this.
Reply 9
It's good to know what you're taking now so you can be prepared for when you start but I know loads of people who changed their a levels all the way up to October of year 12 so don't rush the decision!
Original post by izzys1
It's good to know what you're taking now so you can be prepared for when you start but I know loads of people who changed their a levels all the way up to October of year 12 so don't rush the decision!

thank you for the advice!

Quick Reply

Latest