The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
JohnnyHouse
Going uni is gonna suck for going out, i'm used to spending about £100 every time I go out, what are u surposed to do?

woah!

well here in manch there are sooo many shots for £1, you don't have to go to clubs that you have to pay loads to get in, and you'll live in halls close-ish to the centre probably, and be able to share taxis.

i'd struggle spending £100, seriously! woahh lol
Reply 21
bluelou
One in London?

Erm...no. Too expensive. There's more than than the capital.

Ideally somewhere with top nightlife and a compact city centre (or good public transport) and, most of all, value for money.

This is why Newcastle usually gets the credit as the party capital of the country but Cardiff, Manchester, Glasgow and a few others certainly deserve to be up there with it.

But we all look for different things "socially". Some don't like clubbing and may prefer theatre and bars. Some love sport as their social activity and go for collegiate universities (as these offer a unqiue and close social environment of their own).

We aren't all the same.
Reply 22
London isn't all that expensive if you know what is going on where and when. In fact I'm spending a lot less money going out here than at home.
rakata
woah!

well here in manch there are sooo many shots for £1, you don't have to go to clubs that you have to pay loads to get in, and you'll live in halls close-ish to the centre probably, and be able to share taxis.

i'd struggle spending £100, seriously! woahh lol

Yeh I like to go out not having to worry about running out of cash or not, I have spent £250 before I swore never to bring my bank card out with me again, i'm quite embarrassed about that actually, spending that amount is a complete waste, I think £40 is a reasonable amount for a night out, I can drink loads though and tend not to stop,

Phew thank god i've been staying in lately.
Reply 24
bluelou
i'm guessing the worst is at oxbridge...? or not?

Why? College evironment, sport, decent size cities that can still offer a mix of bars and clubs?

ohaidani
there's actually a book you can buy with student reviews of every uni in it. i can't remember what it's called, i think it might be virgin's (as in the richard branson company..haha).

Virgin Alternative Guide to British Universities

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Virgin-Alternative-Guide-British-Universities/dp/0753512238/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1223718976&sr=8-1

smarty
is there a website that tells u stuff like this?

http://travel.uk.msn.com/inspiration/gallery.aspx?cp-documentid=9206286&imageindex=10

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/education/student/news/article4164023.ece

:wink:

You'll get different results with different surveys, but I think it's fair to say Newcast,e generally dominates them. Whether or not it is a party capital, or stop student city, is a matter of debate.

There'll be alternative guides around (Push?) plus books like the Virgin Guide.
Reply 25
It depends what you want. As someone said above St Andrews doesn't have any nightclubs but does have the largest number of pubs in a town its size in the UK or something, and the Union is very active and tries to make up for the shortfall in clubs (but doesn't always succeed!). There's also a deal between the student union here and a very popular club in Dundee which is only about 20-25mins away from St Andrews. There's also the largest number of sports clubs and socieites for a Uni its size in the UK, so its all good...BUT its majorly expensive thanks to St Andrews title as 'Home of Golf', rich American tourists really push up the prices, the union does its best but its still very expensive. So it depends what you want from a Uni and you have to look a bit deeper sometimes....

But if you want a good party Uni the North is the place to be! I've got friends at Sheffield, Leeds, Newcastle, Liverpool, Manchester, Glasgow, Birmingham and Cardiff (not that northern I know!) who all say that the social scene is amazing.
Reply 26
Wasps26

But if you want a good party Uni the North is the place to be! I've got friends at Sheffield, Leeds, Newcastle, Liverpool, Manchester, Glasgow, Birmingham and Cardiff (not that northern I know!) who all say that the social scene is amazing.

Cardiff isn't northern at all, no. It's southern :wink: As southern as London (if not more so)

As are all of the other cities (with the exception of Glasgow, which is in the north, and Newcastle, which is fairly middle).

Unless you're referring to the north of England and Scotland and not north of the UK? :wink:

I should stop being pedantic....it got me in trouble last time.
Reply 27
Ed.
London isn't all that expensive if you know what is going on where and when. In fact I'm spending a lot less money going out here than at home.

Yeah, my friend said on student nights drinks are around £2 each, but at the weekend £6 - sounds expensive but it's not different to Chicago's where we live, and it's a tiny town with no where to go.
Reply 28
Manchester got loooooads of clubs and it's cheaper than London. That said, in London they do do loads of cheap discounts for students in local bars and there is quite a lot of access to cheaper tickets at clubs like Fabric/,Ministry (which are incredible :wink:)- so don't let the initial expensiveness put you off!
Reply 29
jodie_lee
Yeah, my friend said on student nights drinks are around £2 each, but at the weekend £6 - sounds expensive but it's not different to Chicago's where we live, and it's a tiny town with no where to go.

Ha ha, Chicago's is the only place to go in my crappy home town as well. I went to a student night on monday that was £3/5 entry dependent on when you got there and £1 drinks and this is in the heart of London.
Reply 30
I don't think it really matters, personally.. i was really worried about my uni being rubbish for social life / going out, as its quite small & secluded in a seaside town etc... but now i here its jsut great. Okay so maybe not quite so hectic as living in a big city uni, but we go out loads & clubbing etc.. its great really :smile: so dont worry toooo much about the social life, cause whereever you go is gonna be full of students out for a good time same as you!
Overground
I'd assume any big provincial city would be good for social life, particularly in the Midlands/North/rest of UK because it's cheaper to go out and stuff. London is very expensive. You could have loads of fun in Birmingham, Leeds, Sheffield, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Manchester, Cardiff, Nottingham, Newcastle, Liverpool...

I concur with this. Pick a decent uni with the city centre on your doorstep, and you're set. Cardiff is an excellent choice, if I may say so myself; everyone on the main campus of the uni lives in Cathays, which has a few pubs, bars and shops dotted about, and the walk to town takes 20 minutes at most, although a bit longer if you're in the Talybont student village. You're free to go out whenever you want and you're never stranded because you can always walk back without much difficulty, or take a taxi if you're lazy.
Reply 32
Newcastle and Liverpool, I'd say.
Norwich, Manchester, Dundee, Reading etc.
JohnnyHouse
Going uni is gonna suck for going out, i'm used to spending about £100 every time I go out, what are u surposed to do?

That's crazy. I live in the city centre of Manc though so its not a problem getting to any clubs. I take out £20-£30 from the ATM and don't take my debit card out with me for fear of losing it/spending on it.
I rarely go over £15 on a night out though tbh. Manc is great!!
Reply 35
JohnnyHouse

Really!?
.... How?
You are going to get so many different opinions here so I don't how you could come to any conclusion!
I can see why you would think London, its such a vast city with so much to do, you could never be bored. But its not easy on your wallet.
I've heard very good things about Manchester.
Reply 37
Warwick...
JohnnyHouse

Well... if it's any consolation, you'll probably spend less when at uni... but £100... how? Are you buying everyone's drinks, or do you round off each night with a visit to a prostitute?
Reply 39
Liverpool. We have the biggest student union in the UK.

Latest

Trending

Trending