The Student Room Group

I Plagiarised Badly in Uni Exam...

I literally copied my classmates exam answer instead of straight getting detected by Turnitin similarity. I screenshoted the answer onto the document. I was trying to reword it so I know what it means but I didnt havve enough time. They can obviously tell when marking because they cant highlight any text. I really fxxked up big time. I'm probably gonna fail this year just because of that. And, I heard most people get interviewed by the examination board. I can't get no sleep or work done anymore. It's my own fault.

I know I did wrong I just panicked. The only exuse I could use is that we did not need references and I did not want to see that document in the straight up red 50% similarity. And, that I used many different Internet websites for help. And, didnt know how to refence probably.
(edited 3 years ago)
None of those “excuses” are reasons or excuses for plagiarism.
Yes I know its too late. I regret it hugely. I should've just wrote my own answer and failed the exam
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Answer Please
I literally copied my classmates exam answer instead of straight getting detected by Turnitin similarity. I screenshoted the answer onto the document. I was trying to reword it so I know what it means but I didnt havve enough time. They can obviously tell when marking because they cant highlight any text. I really fxxked up big time. I'm probably gonna fail this year just because of that. And, I heard most people get interviewed by the examination board. I can't get no sleep or work done anymore. It's my own fault.

I know I did wrong I just panicked. The only exuse I could use is that we did not need references and I did not want to see that document in the straight up red 50% similarity. And, that I used many different Internet websites for help. And, didnt know how to refence probably.

You're aware that you also got your friend into trouble too right? He/she might also be failed by the examiners
Its too late. Don't know what happens now. First time I have Plagiarised and to this extent.
(edited 3 years ago)
Its too late. Don't know what happens now. First time I have Plagiarised and to this extent.

Have a look at your university’s plagiarism policy/ code of conduct and it will let you know what to expect for both you and your friend.
It would be between Serious and Major.
Serious = Resubmit with loss of attempt. Resubmission mark Capped at threshold pass mark. For the module.
Major = Invoke disciplinary process.
I'm probably looking at the major and failed the module or failed the year.
that's peak man
Serious = Resubmit with loss of attempt. Resubmission mark Capped at threshold pass mark. For the module.

And your friend too.

I think you should at least warn your friend about it
Omg why would you do such a thing?
I get that you panicked but honestly, your poor classmate is gonna feel horrible now!
Imagine that, you revised the best you could juuuuust for a classmate to copy and plagiarise you because they couldn't at least try.
Keep us posted pls. It'll be interesting to see how this turn out
Original post by Anonymous
Keep us posted pls. It'll be interesting to see how this turn out

Right!!
So I feel a lot of the responses are just harsh/unhelpful - while I can’t offer any help I can say I hope it wasn’t as bad as an expected outcome, im going through similar currently well not similar but sort of, what did happen? What was the outcome?

Wishing you luck
damn that’s pretty horrible, it’s a terrible mistake but a learning experience. wish you the best and hope things weren’t too bad 😬
I don’t see any viable way this goes well.

Honestly id prepare for the worst and hope for the best. Realistically the disciplinary panel may feel terminating your studies is reasonable with such egregious misconduct.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending