The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

saturn
do you think you'l move back in your parents though at the end of the course.
its just my parents have offered to extend the house so i can have a large bedroom, thing is im 19 and and wondered how many 20 odd year olds still live at their parents :redface:
stay with your parents, get a job and save up so that you can put a deposit down and buy a house. Can you afford say £300 a month rent, plus £50 a month food, plus £50 a month bills, plus going out, new clothes etc?Is it worth at least £400 a month so you have a bit of freedom? Renting is throwing your money down the drain anyway.
saturn
if you live at home that is what age do you think you'l get your own house?

I'm currently living in Halls at Uni, and next year my parents are buying a house that they're going to rent out to me and my friends - oops correction I must add I'm exempt from paying the rent :wink: :biggrin:

As for actually buying my own house - that's not going to happen any time soon as I'm a very poor student :frown:
Reply 22
Probably about six months after I get my first proper job, depending on pay etc. I am hoping this will be about this time next year.
Reply 23
sublime_envy
stay with your parents, get a job and save up so that you can put a deposit down and buy a house. Can you afford say £300 a month rent, plus £50 a month food, plus £50 a month bills, plus going out, new clothes etc?Is it worth at least £400 a month so you have a bit of freedom? Renting is throwing your money down the drain anyway.

Technically, renting a property involves paying for a property and living there. I have no choice.
Never. I am waiting for my parents to move out.
If i have a decent job by the time i'm 18 or 19 then i'll move out then. If not then when i do or when i get married or get a serious bf.
As far as I'm concerned, I moved out when I started university - going back during the holidays was just an enforced visit to my parents! Now I'm on a 37-week lease, however, I really have moved out. All the stuff I actually want to keep is now here with me at uni, and I'll go straight from here to a flat in London when I finish. I quite surprised my dad a while back by asking him to give me a lift "home" - meaning to uni!
im already out of my parents house coz i burnt the last one down.
Reply 28
next year, hopefully going to a boading school.
saturn
if you live at home that is what age do you think you'l get your own house?

I've already moved out of my parent's - I'm only 17 and still at school. Basically, as soon as you can. ( And don't think you have to support yourself. Lecching from parents is easier.)
I'll have to move out next year when I will hopefully be off to uni :biggrin: and after that I want to do a PGCE either at the same uni or another one. By the time I finish studying I'll be 23, so I wouldn't really want to live with my parents again, but I'd also be broke after 5 years as a student, so I'd probably have to until I could afford my own place.
Reply 31
i cant believe u people wanna move out of home like u do. (if any of u live near an indian area, go 2 your local video shop and rent out a film called baghban, its bound 2 have subtitles).

I live in a typical indian joint family and i love it. Thereis my grandad, my mum and dad, me, my 2 brothers, three of my dads brothers with their wives, and then there 7 children, 2 wives of cousins, and one nephew, so there are 22 of us altogether, and i cannot imagine living by myself or with a wife. when i go uni, im going 2 enjoy the 3 years of "freedom" to the max. However after the three years i should go back home, and do my duty as a son. Im guessing most peoples parents on this site are around 45-55 and in about 10-15 years time they will start having walking problems and getting ill. Surely we should be there to look after them at this time?

Especially with the way most of your families are (the normal mum, dad and kids family) it is even more important to stay at home. If you are from a single parent family, if you move out, why would you just leave your mum/dad to stay at home by themself? If you have both parents at home, i dont mean to be morbid, but then chances are one of them will die before 70, and then the other one will be by themself. I cannot imagine having my 70yr old mum/dad living by themselves somewhere whilst im out enjoying life, the fact is i wouldnt be able to enjoy my life! Imagine when we are elderly, when we struggle to walk up the stairs, never mind go and do the shopping, how will we manage without the help of our children?
I think i have allready moved out! :eek:

Cant see me moving back home after I finish Uni...
ladyshort4u
well ive been living away from home since i was 17 and when i go back to London in June permanently, I will go to Kenya for 2months then go to Uni in September and as I am going to a Uni away from London I will have 2 stay out for 3 years anyways - then i wanan do my masters so I'll bes omehere else for another year then after that I'm goan travel so basically I moved out at 17 and dont think I'll ever go back permanently to live there now - just for holidays/vacations etc!

how did u aford 2 support self?
Reply 34
saturn
do you think you'l move back in your parents though at the end of the course.
its just my parents have offered to extend the house so i can have a large bedroom, thing is im 19 and and wondered how many 20 odd year olds still live at their parents :redface:

God no, I might come back for christmas holiday, but then ill remember why i wanted to leave so badly
Reply 35
JenniferPowers
But the fact is, that the majority of our parents left home too. They managed. Their parents managed. Lots of people do it. It doesn't mean that you won't be there for your family when they need to, but at some point I want to leave so I can start a life/family of my own.

I know it seems like you're used to a completely different family structure, so I guess it's hard for you to understand why we would be so desparate to leave home, just as many people would find it hard to understand why you'd want to live with 22 people.

I guess we're all just different.

i see your point, but i dont want my parents to just manage i want them to enjoy the last years of their life to the max. ANd it is more practical as well, like when you have children, you dont have to leave them with any potential peodophiles, but you can leave them with your own parents.
Reply 36
canuck
In August, when i go to UNI. University is my escape :biggrin:

same here. once I'm 18, i'm outta here and onto better greater things. and once I'm done with the course I'll get a job, get my own apartment.....

can't live with your parents forever!
Reply 37
I want to leave home, but i don't want to leave home, if that makes any sense. :biggrin: I want to be free, but what happens after the fun wears off? When you have to pay bills, stock your own cabinets, etc. My problem is that I want to move too far away from my family. id like to go to uni in the uk to be exact. But being I don't know anyone there, I'll prolly get lonely. I won't even be able to visit them for Thanksgiving being there's no such thing there! :frown: ahh, well. with new countries comes new cultures i guess. :flybye:
Reply 38
My parents have already sat my sisters and me down (24,21 and 18 yrs old) and they said "You know you're not moving out of the house until your married?!"
Reply 39
AmericanChick
I want to leave home, but i don't want to leave home, if that makes any sense. :biggrin: I want to be free, but what happens after the fun wears off? When you have to pay bills, stock your own cabinets, etc. My problem is that I want to move too far away from my family. id like to go to uni in the uk to be exact. But being I don't know anyone there, I'll prolly get lonely. I won't even be able to visit them for Thanksgiving being there's no such thing there! :frown: ahh, well. with new countries comes new cultures i guess. :flybye:

what universities are you applying to? and why exactly do you want to go to the UK? isn't it just easier to go someplace wholly unfamiliar in the US...then you won't have to worry about passports and visas, and degree acceptance and stuff. do an exchange program for a year in the UK instead!

Latest

Trending

Trending