The Student Room Group

Living with boyfriend

I’m thinking of going to uni this September. I’m deciding between living at home and commuting 1hr+ each day or moving closer and living with my boyfriend. I would be able to apply as an independent student as I’m currently in full time employment. However would not be able to work alongside my uni course from September. If I moved out would I have to declare my current income as well as my partners. Or would it just be based on my partner as I won’t be earning?
Original post by Bonniesummer
I’m thinking of going to uni this September. I’m deciding between living at home and commuting 1hr+ each day or moving closer and living with my boyfriend. I would be able to apply as an independent student as I’m currently in full time employment. However would not be able to work alongside my uni course from September. If I moved out would I have to declare my current income as well as my partners. Or would it just be based on my partner as I won’t be earning?

Hi @Bonniesummer

I am not too sure if I completely understand what you're asking, but I think I will be in a similar situation to you in September.

So, I'll be starting my PGCE in September (still a student, living on student loans) and moving into a house with my boyfriend, who will be working full-time. I am still going to be claiming my living-out student loan, but that is because both of our names will be on the tenancy, and it is a two-bedroom house. So I can pass off as living in shared accommodation, which I essentially am.

I will still treat myself as independent, so I wouldn't include my partner's income as part of the household income; I would just say I am a full-time student with no earnings.

I hope this makes sense! Please do get in contact with Student Finance England to make sure you fully understand what you are entitled to.

Anastasia,
BCU Student Rep.

Hi there,

Im not sure actually. I think the best thing to do in this situation would be to get in contact with student finance England so they can explain all of the options you have and how they can best support you. If you gave them a ring or something I think they would be much better equipped to answer your questions and give you advice on what to do.

I hope this helps,

Ellen
Y4 Medical Student
Uni of Sunderland Digital Ambassador
If your not married, and are financially independent from your boyfriend then I think your an independent student. (21+)

Though if your under 21 and just leaving your parents home, they may still consider your parents income.

Speak to the experts at Student Finance England or the finance team at the uni your planning to attend.
Asked for the the thread to be moved t the Ask SFE section.

Hi there,

If you are over 25 and living with your partner, we would take your partner's income into consideration when calculating your Maintenance Loan funding. If you are under 25 then you'd still be considered as dependent on your natural/adoptive parents so we would take their income. if you're under 25 and living with a partner then it would still be your parental income we require. Hope this clears it up.

Thanks, Ross

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending