The Student Room Group

I want to move out

I am over 18.

For several days I've been having thoughts about moving out. I always trust my gut instincts and I just believe it's the right time to move out and be more independent in life.

I've told my parent about moving out, but they've told me that I've only been fantasying and dreaming about it. I know it's not a dream nor a fantasy.

I'm in my mid 20s and they're the only parent I have left. I just wanted them to support me. Instead they prefer that I just live at home with them because I have the shelter, food, warmth etc.. already.

I get not support from my parent. I don't mean finically, but at least just listening and agreeing/ respecting my plans that I want to make in my life.

I work and get a really good salary, my parent just doesn't want me to move out. My parent literally takes up all of the space in my house, I can't chill in the living room nor in the kitchen because they're always smoking... Instead I spend all my time in my decent size bedroom to get away from the smoke.

I'm use to it now, LOL I've even written done my future flat rules for people visiting my future apartment.

It's not my parents smoking which is causing the issue. I'm in my mid 20s and I just want independence

Any advice?
Reply 1
Look at your budget (taking all bills and outgoings into consideration), decide how you want to live and move out. There's not much more to add when you're a working adult...
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I am over 18.

For several days I've been having thoughts about moving out. I always trust my gut instincts and I just believe it's the right time to move out and be more independent in life.

I've told my parent about moving out, but they've told me that I've only been fantasying and dreaming about it. I know it's not a dream nor a fantasy.

I'm in my mid 20s and they're the only parent I have left. I just wanted them to support me. Instead they prefer that I just live at home with them because I have the shelter, food, warmth etc.. already.

I get not support from my parent. I don't mean finically, but at least just listening and agreeing/ respecting my plans that I want to make in my life.

I work and get a really good salary, my parent just doesn't want me to move out. My parent literally takes up all of the space in my house, I can't chill in the living room nor in the kitchen because they're always smoking... Instead I spend all my time in my decent size bedroom to get away from the smoke.

I'm use to it now, LOL I've even written done my future flat rules for people visiting my future apartment.

It's not my parents smoking which is causing the issue. I'm in my mid 20s and I just want independence

Any advice?

It’s your choice if you’re financially stable enough move out they legally cannot keep you there.

Just view your options look at places you’d likely rent and work out a budget for bills, gas electric, rent food esc
Reply 3
I am over 18.

Any advice?

It sounds like you have a good idea of what you want to do and that you are capable of providing for yourself. Moving out and gaining independence is a difficult step to take and I think it should be respected that you want to take it. It is understandable that your parents would be a little apprehensive and worry about you, but it is important to recognize that you have grown up and are now able to make these decisions yourself.

I would advise talking with your parents again and reiterating that you are ready and mature enough to move out. Ask them to listen to your reasons for wanting to move out and if possible come up with a compromise that they can be comfortable with. It could be a good idea to develop a plan together that outlines how and when you can be independent, including living arrangements, finances and other considerations so that you can ensure you are prepared to make this move.
I am over 18.

Any advice?

Ultimately it’s your choice :smile: I spent a long time trying to please my mother, doing everything she wanted me to do. It only ate away at my mental health in the end. When I moved out I felt a lot better although living alone comes with its own disadvantages.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending