English GCSE, Paper 2 Question 3, Touching the void extract

Watch
AAA_000
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
How does the writer use language to describe how he feels.
The terrible sliding stopped, and I hung silently against the slope. Three faint tugs trembled the taut rope, and I hopped up on to my leg. A wave of nausea and pain swept over me. I was glad of the freezing blasts of snow biting into my face. My head cleared as I waited for the burning to subside from my knee. Several times I had felt it twist sideways when my boot snagged. There would be a flare of agony as the knee kinked back, and parts within the joint seemed to shear past each other with a sickening gristly crunch. I had barely ceased sobbing before my boot snagged again. At the end my leg shook uncontrollably. I tried to stop it shaking, but the harder I tried, the more it shook. I pressed my face into the snow, gritted my teeth, and waited. At last it eased.
Last edited by AAA_000; 2 months ago
nayl_ahmed
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by AAA_000)
The terrible sliding stopped, and I hung silently against the slope. Three faint tugs trembled the taut rope, and I hopped up on to my leg. A wave of nausea and pain swept over me. I was glad of the freezing blasts of snow biting into my face. My head cleared as I waited for the burning to subside from my knee. Several times I had felt it twist sideways when my boot snagged. There would be a flare of agony as the knee kinked back, and parts within the joint seemed to shear past each other with a sickening gristly crunch. I had barely ceased sobbing before my boot snagged again. At the end my leg shook uncontrollably. I tried to stop it shaking, but the harder I tried, the more it shook. I pressed my face into the snow, gritted my teeth, and waited. At last it eased.
What year is this extract?
AAA_000
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by nayl_ahmed)
Nianana8392
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi do you know what language technique would " freezing blasts of snow biting into my face" be ?
nayl_ahmed
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Nianana8392)
Hi do you know what language technique would " freezing blasts of snow biting into my face" be ?
its personification I believe
Nianana8392
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thank you
Nianana8392
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Can anyone help me regarding what can I put for the structure ? Please
n312s
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by AAA_000)
can someone please right something for this question please or if someone already has a piece of writing for it please tell me as I have this question coming up for my test in like 2 days! And thank you!
Habiba alaa
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What is the personification
nayl_ahmed
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Habiba alaa)
What is the personification
snow biting. Snow can't actually bite, but the writer compared the cold of the snow to the human action of biting.
notsayinname
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
do u have any points on what to write about it. i only need two if u have any?
notsayinname
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
snow biting. Snow can't actually bite, but the writer compared the cold of the snow to the human action of biting.
do u have any other language points - i have my test tomorrow lol
Elisabeth3210
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I have that test tommorow too lol, is there an english genius out there who is going to come save us. I'm annotataing the text now
I don't think its that bad of a text to get techniques from
notsayinname
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Elisabeth3210)
I have that test tommorow too lol, is there an english genius out there who is going to come save us. I'm annotataing the text now
I don't think its that bad of a text to get techniques from
lol i have one point and used semantic field of pain “burning...agony..nausea” but i can’t think of another point. do u have any i could use?
Elisabeth3210
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It also seems to be like a semantic field of his loss of control. his leg shook uncontrollably and he repeatedly said "i tried"
Elisabeth3210
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
There are also contrasts between the freezing wind and him still burning
Last edited by Elisabeth3210; 1 month ago
notsayinname
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It also seems to be like a semantic field of his loss of control. his leg shook uncontrollably and he repeatedly said "i tried"
oooo yes i’m going to use that thank you also if u want this info i’m going to reinforce the semantic field of pain with the personification (freezing blasts of snow) to show how cold it acc was but he says he was glad which shows he is in immense/extreme and perhaps confused with his surroundings
notsayinname
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by notsayinname)
oooo yes i’m going to use that thank you also if u want this info i’m going to reinforce the semantic field of pain with the personification (freezing blasts of snow) to show how cold it acc was but he says he was glad which shows he is in immense/extreme and perhaps confused with his surroundings
immense/extreme pain*
notsayinname
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
There are also contrasts between the freezing wind and him still burning
my teachers told me this was more to do with structure and we shouldn’t write to much detail with contrast as u would waste ur time
Elisabeth3210
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
yep its strange that he's saying hes "glad" to have the snow "biting him" . I guess that infers the immense pain he is in. Can you think of anything else to add to that?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (112)
40.73%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (29)
10.55%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (21)
7.64%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (62)
22.55%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (32)
11.64%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (19)
6.91%

Watched Threads