The Student Room Group

Predicted A*A*A but no offers for Mechanical Engineering

Hi,I applied to Cambridge Bath Edinburgh Kings College and Greenwich. I got an interview from Cambridge, but I was then rejected by them. I was later rejected by bath (these were my ideals). I got Kings College and Greenwich, but those are both low grades and I have no interest in going there (Kings only does general engineering). Still waiting on Edinburgh. I’m gonna go through clearing and looking at European unis. Why didn’t I get any good offers with these grades? what should I do?
What subjects are you taking?

Why did you choose two universities that you didn’t want to go to?
Original post by ChabbadyG
I got Kings College and Greenwich, but those are both low grades and I have no interest in going there

So why did you apply?
Reply 3
Original post by GabiAbi84
What subjects are you taking?

Why did you choose two universities that you didn’t want to go to?

Maths(A*) Physics (A*) and further maths (A).
I honestly didn’t thing I wouldn’t get any of my top three, and for some reason I didn’t realise kings college only did general engineering rather than mechanical. I’m still hoping for Edinburgh though and then we’ll see. But I’m definitely gonna do clearing.
Reply 4
Original post by McGinger
So why did you apply?

Honestly didn’t think I wouldn’t get any of my top three. My friend has the exact same grades and we applied to 3 of the same unis and two similar ones, and he got all of them before 2021... so I don’t understand why. And my teachers said my personal statement was one of the best they’d ever read.
Maths(A*) Physics (A*) and further maths (A).
I honestly didn’t thing I wouldn’t get any of my top three, and for some reason I didn’t realise kings college only did general engineering rather than mechanical. I’m still hoping for Edinburgh though and then we’ll see. But I’m definitely gonna do clearing.

It seems as if you didn’t research your options correctly... I suggest doing some research now and keeping a back-up plan just in case.
Honestly didn’t think I wouldn’t get any of my top three. My friend has the exact same grades and we applied to 3 of the same unis and two similar ones, and he got all of them before 2021... so I don’t understand why. And my teachers said my personal statement was one of the best they’d ever read.

There are likely to be very good options in Extra. Have a look at some universities decide in order then ring around. You can reject all your offers. It is difficult to know why Bath rejected you. Only they can answer that but it is likely there are excellent universities who will accept you. What grade GCSE Maths did you get. Bath are sometimes picky over that.

Honestly for engineering personal statement is generally not going to be a big impact unless it is truly shocking.

I suspect it was probably to do with your academics prior to A-levels not being as strong as other candidates, and with grade inflation their being limited spaces.

unfortunately UCAS predictions are almost meaningless nowadays as the accuracy of them generally is quite low, couple that to unis being careful with very high grade inflation the last couple years.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by swanseajack1
There are likely to be very good options in Extra. Have a look at some universities decide in order then ring around. You can reject all your offers. It is difficult to know why Bath rejected you. Only they can answer that but it is likely there are excellent universities who will accept you. What grade GCSE Maths did you get. Bath are sometimes picky over that.

Here are Bath's entry requirements for GCSE. This is the most likely reason for a rejection. That you havent met these. Bath tend to be stricter on this than most other universities. One option for you is to apply elsewhere such as Birmingham, Leeds, Sheffield or Swansea which are excellent for Mechanical Engineering and often not as strict as Bath over GCSE's. Your other opetion is to await and offer from Edinburgh although that might restrict your options.

GCSE grades are an important part of selection for this course and we typically expect students to have a good number of GCSEs at grade 7-9 or A-A*. You GCSE grades in Mathematics and Physics are particularly important and we typically expect grade 8-9 in at least one of these subjects.
Reply 9

Yeah I only really started studying in March of year 11 so my GCSEs are all over the place. 9 in maths 7 in physics :/ but also I got a 4 in English language and art so I’m wondering if they brought it down.
I actually go Edinburgh on Friday though, so I’m not as stressed any more 😂
Yeah I only really started studying in March of year 11 so my GCSEs are all over the place. 9 in maths 7 in physics :/ but also I got a 4 in English language and art so I’m wondering if they brought it down.
I actually go Edinburgh on Friday though, so I’m not as stressed any more 😂

It probably is your GCSE results but they wont matter in most places. It is unusual for a university to require more than grade 4 in English Language. As far as Edinburgh is that an interview. If so, good luck. However there will be very good universities in extra if you get rejected as I stated previously.
Edi is always late as hell. They were late this year, they were late as heck last year.

I don't personally think GCSEs/etc count that much, nor do PS's. I don't do Engineering (Physics is my thing) but my AS/A were A*A*A*, but my GCSE's were mostly B's and C's. My personal statement wasn't that great either. I'm not sure about whether the course was desperate for students or not, but I didn't even have interviews/etc, a lot of my fellow students did, so idk.

Anyway, I'd hold out, maybe Edi will still shoot you an offer.
Reply 12
It probably is your GCSE results but they wont matter in most places. It is unusual for a university to require more than grade 4 in English Language. As far as Edinburgh is that an interview. If so, good luck. However there will be very good universities in extra if you get rejected as I stated previously.

Thank you 🙏🙏
yeah it was a conditional offer so I just have to get AAA so that’s good
its quite weird, the reliance on GCSEs 😂
Hi,I applied to Imperial, Kings College, and UCL. I got rejected from imperial. I also got an offer at Kings College for general engineering. and im currently waiting on UCL for mechanical engineering with business finance. My predicted grades are A*(math) A*(physics) A*(Spanish) A(economics). I also think that general engineering at kings is the most fun course but its requirements are very low. Do you guys know why UCL has not replied yet? do you guys think I should go to UCL if I get accepted (because of its reputation) or kcl (fun course)
(edited 2 years ago)
yo i made an account just to figure out ur position now and ur experience, cus im in a position similar to urs.It says i have 3 days before i can talk to u directly, but reply to this if u see it please.im mainly tryna figure out UCL's mechanical engineering program, and if anyone can/has gotten in with an A predicted in maths, A* in physics (A in eng lit, A* in bio but i dont think that really matters - mainly the A in maths is my concern)

Quick Reply

Latest