The Student Room Group

paying for accomodation

since the pandemic has been in place not much direction has been given to me about accommodation fees and I can't find information about it anywhere. when at uni my accom is £6,107/ year but as I clearly won't be affording that as a student. does this come out of my maintenance loan? if so is it in small amounts or the full 138.81/week? because my maintenance is only £4,000 so where does the money poof from for accommodation and also how am i going to afford to eat as well lol - really stressed pls help :/
Reply 1
Original post by daizdaiz
since the pandemic has been in place not much direction has been given to me about accommodation fees and I can't find information about it anywhere. when at uni my accom is £6,107/ year but as I clearly won't be affording that as a student. does this come out of my maintenance loan? if so is it in small amounts or the full 138.81/week? because my maintenance is only £4,000 so where does the money poof from for accommodation and also how am i going to afford to eat as well lol - really stressed pls help :/

Unfortunately, you need to make up the rest of the money, it's sad. But, savings or a job is gonna make up that last bit of payment.

For most students they pay the accommodation fees using their maintenance loan. If your maintenance loan doesn't cover it then you'll have to make the difference up as well as making sure you have enough funds for other essentials like food, laundry, going out, travel etc. For a lot students where their maintenance loan doesn't cover their living costs they ask their parents/ family to chip in or you can try find a job over summer to earn enough to cover the difference. Universities usually have a few bursaries too so you could see if you qualify for any of those.

If none of those options are applicable then you might need to look into getting alternative, cheaper accommodation. Private accommodation is usually cheaper than uni halls or even looking into shared bathroom options because they're usually cheaper too. Some students take a gap year purposely to work and save enough money to afford uni so if there's no other option you might have to consider doing that.

The payment plan can vary between universities so it's best to ask the specific uni directly. Just as an example, the uni I'm going to splits the rent into 3 instalments so if the room costs £6000 then I'd be paying £2000 every term roughly.

Did you apply for the maximum maintenance loan up to £9,000+?
Reply 4

At which University are you going to be studying?
Reply 5
Yes I did, however I’m only given 4,200 ish dispite my mum literally not having a job and student finance knowing that... so idk what happened there :|
Original post by mspaghetti
Did you apply for the maximum maintenance loan up to £9,000+?
Yes I did, however I’m only given 4,200 ish dispite my mum literally not having a job and student finance knowing that... so idk what happened there :|

You should be able to appeal to student finance as they may have given you the incorrect amount?
It is based on household income- does your Dad earn a fair bit? If no Dad on the scene and your Mum has no job then you ought to get the maximum. I think they give you the minimum to start with and then assess for the extra once your parents have submitted all their income evidence
Reply 8

It might be useful to create a thread on the Ask Student Finance England forum to ask them about this, in case there has been an oversight.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=910

you should really call student finance asap because if you have no second income (from your dad) you should definitely receive around the maximum

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending