The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

Freshers Week at Newcastle University 2021

Hi, I accepted an offer for Newcastle for this September, and I am kind of worried as I am not a heavy drinker or a party animal so to say. I mean I would drink occasionally but I wouldn't do it very much. I am just worried as the Uni has a reputation for being drinking heavy and clubbing every night. I am just wondering if many people don't drink or like clubbing and like doing other things and if it is easy to meet these people. Is there?
and what other activities are there to do?
If other people are going to Newcastle Uni this September as an Undergraduate and in the same situation, PM me.
Not every Newcastle student is into clubbing. Pre covid my friends and I would rather go to a pub quiz (drinking optional) than go clubbing.
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Nautilus
Not every Newcastle student is into clubbing. Pre covid my friends and I would rather go to a pub quiz (drinking optional) than go clubbing.

Thank you, that's good to hear :smile:
Original post by Buttons!!!
Hi, I accepted an offer for Newcastle for this September, and I am kind of worried as I am not a heavy drinker or a party animal so to say. I mean I would drink occasionally but I wouldn't do it very much. I am just worried as the Uni has a reputation for being drinking heavy and clubbing every night. I am just wondering if many people don't drink or like clubbing and like doing other things and if it is easy to meet these people. Is there?
If other people are going to Newcastle Uni this September as an Undergraduate and in the same situation, PM me.

Hiya, I'm considering accepting an offer for Newcastle for 2021 and I don't drink, so also a bit nervous about the drinking and going out side of things. More than happy to be sociable, just not big on the pubs and clubs side, so hoping to find some similar folks. Feel free to be in touch 😊
It is perfectly possible to have a good social life in Newcastle without getting drunk. The only advice I would give is try not to show your disapproval of those who like drinking as you will be viewed as a killjoy. Rather than say "I don't drink" with a pursed mouth, say "I don't like alcohol"
Reply 5
Heyy! I’m in the same situation. I am going to Nc or Northumbria (idk yet) and I am pretty nervous about it, also cause I am moving from abroad and I don’t know anyone in the UK. Also It’s not like I don’t drink at all but also not very often. I would like to be sociable too in different way than clubbing:biggrin:, so I am glad some of u here have it same. If anyone wanna get in touch, also feel free x
Hi there,

Newcastle is so much more than it's reputation with alcohol. The city is is really compact with so much to do. Such as mini golf, axe throwing, bowling and more. We are also a short metro journey from the beach and some beautiful countryside. I'm a recent graduate, who stills lives in Newcastle, and I never felt any pressure to party all the time.

During freshers week the Students Union does activities during the day which is a great way to meet people with similar interests without drinking. We also have a sober society who do a large variety of social activities.

Don't let the reputation (or certain tv programs :wink:) put you off or intimidate you. Newcastle is such a wonderful city and you won't be bored or struggle to have fun.
Thanks,
Frances
Original post by Buttons!!!

Sadly Newcastle has this reputation (which rather annoys me) but in all honesty drinking and clubbing goes on at ALL universities so please do not let this put you off. There are some unis that have big drug problems but again this doesn't mean that you have to participate. There is so much more to Newcastle than just the nightlife. It is a great uni and you will not be disappointed.
@Buttons!!! @sa_17t
I’m joining Newcastle Uni this September and I feel the same!!
I can enjoy a drink from time to time - but clubbing and partying is not really my scene, so I’m a bit nervous for Freshers Week, but hoping to do plenty of the daytime activities.
I’m excited though as there’s so much to do in and around Newcastle, so I just hope I find plenty of people that want to do things other than nights out! Dm me if you like :smile:
Original post by biofrance
@Buttons!!! @sa_17t
I’m joining Newcastle Uni this September and I feel the same!!
I can enjoy a drink from time to time - but clubbing and partying is not really my scene, so I’m a bit nervous for Freshers Week, but hoping to do plenty of the daytime activities.
I’m excited though as there’s so much to do in and around Newcastle, so I just hope I find plenty of people that want to do things other than nights out! Dm me if you like :smile:

Newcastle is a great city. It's entirely up to you if you want to join the partying scene. Partying goes on at all unis - not just Newcastle. There is so much more to Newcastle as well though. You won't be disappointed.
Hi everyone!
I am one of the Freshers' Week Organisers this year - and I do not drink, or even go clubbing, at all. So it's something very important to me to make sure the list of programmes this year include enough of a variety of activities, including evening events, which are not drinking orientated. So don't worry about that! Just make sure you buy the official Newcastle University Freshers' wristband and not any of the third party ones!
https://www.nusu.co.uk/freshers
Original post by imaginewizard
Hi everyone!
I am one of the Freshers' Week Organisers this year - and I do not drink, or even go clubbing, at all. So it's something very important to me to make sure the list of programmes this year include enough of a variety of activities, including evening events, which are not drinking orientated. So don't worry about that! Just make sure you buy the official Newcastle University Freshers' wristband and not any of the third party ones!
https://www.nusu.co.uk/freshers

Thanks!! Do you know when the nusu wristbands are going on sale? 😊
Original post by biofrance
Thanks!! Do you know when the nusu wristbands are going on sale? 😊

It will be very soon, I don't have a definite date so don't want to confirm anything but within the next week or few weeks! If you sign up to the newsletter on that link, you will be sent an email when it is live! :smile:
Original post by imaginewizard
It will be very soon, I don't have a definite date so don't want to confirm anything but within the next week or few weeks! If you sign up to the newsletter on that link, you will be sent an email when it is live! :smile:

Okay, great!! Thanks for letting us know

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending