The Student Room Group

Is this a good EPQ question that will let me get A*?

What is the best treatment for Parkinson's disease?
After I do my research I'll alter the question slightly to, out of the few selected treamtnets, which is the best out of them?

I'm kinda scared I've properly started too late so any support and guidance is GREATLY appreciated - my deadline is in september.

as for the structure of my epq - so i was wondering about this.
In the epq ill do my intro, then what parkinsons is, then exactly what the treatments are and how they will work (including reasons for selecting those treatments), and then how valid/ relaible they are, then compare them against the other to say which is the best.

my question for this part is, must i know which im going to select as the best treatment before i start and then argue why that is the case throughout, or must i kinda figure that out as i show the pros and cons of each treatment?
also should i have conducted an experiment for this to get high marks? I couldnt exactly think of a way an experiment could prove which treatment is the best, since i get that answer through many experiemnts having been done and tested and treatments studied over time...

whatare your thoughts on this question? Will it allow for an A* EPQ?
Original post by 2026_helia
In the epq ill do my intro, then what parkinsons is, then exactly what the treatments are and how they will work (including reasons for selecting those treatments), and then how valid/ relaible they are, then compare them against the other to say which is the best.

as long as there's depth of analysis its fine
After I do my research I'll alter the question slightly to, out of the few selected treamtnets, which is the best out of them?

I'm kinda scared I've properly started too late so any support and guidance is GREATLY appreciated - my deadline is in september.

my question for this part is, must i know which im going to select as the best treatment before i start and then argue why that is the case throughout, or must i kinda figure that out as i show the pros and cons of each treatment?
also should i have conducted an experiment for this to get high marks? I couldnt exactly think of a way an experiment could prove which treatment is the best, since i get that answer through many experiemnts having been done and tested and treatments studied over time...

You arent late at all! I did it all in about 4 weeks (of hard work) and managed to get an A* my supervisor was not happy at all! Coz i did nothing last time it came round to it

Hello there,

Your question sounds fine and your structure sounds good too. With EPQ, it is essential to have a good production log and A LOT of evidence to show organisation and planning. I’d recommend creating a few mindmaps, a Gantt Chart or anything else that has deadlines so it shows you are sticking to them. In your production log, write down everything. I conducted an interview but that was extra I know may people don’t so don’t worry about primary data, I just did it because I had the opportunity to.
Reply 4
Original post by Sm 002 u mug
You arent late at all! I did it all in about 4 weeks (of hard work) and managed to get an A* my supervisor was not happy at all! Coz i did nothing last time it came round to it

no way, that is AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I reaaaaaaaaaaally want to ask some questions about the EPQ, would you mind if I DM'd you?? You're so amazing for getting an A* in a dissertation you literally put together in a month!
Reply 5
Original post by HoldThisL
as long as there's depth of analysis its fine

analysis of use of resources, or question?
Reply 6
Original post by EliteBoy8
Hello there,

Your question sounds fine and your structure sounds good too. With EPQ, it is essential to have a good production log and A LOT of evidence to show organisation and planning. I’d recommend creating a few mindmaps, a Gantt Chart or anything else that has deadlines so it shows you are sticking to them. In your production log, write down everything. I conducted an interview but that was extra I know may people don’t so don’t worry about primary data, I just did it because I had the opportunity to.

Would it take a dump on my marks to say in my production log or show that I struggled for time but I made up for it in the end, so like my time management wasnt consistent but I made up for it in the end? or should I just edit as I go, bluff the parts I may not have really been productive in (but made up for later) then edit to make them look better when I finish?
In my proposal form it says i should have finished my lit review right now but i have to actually start the research. then my plan has shifted to doing the discussion first then the lit. review. partially the reason why i started late in the first place us because of how long it took me to come up with a question i was happy with (so it was feb that i actually stuck to my question, then i procrastinated a bit, then revised for exams until now). also i did a presentation on my findings in a medical society at my school, would it be really benefical to put that into my project log too?

sorry for the length of this message!
Would it take a dump on my marks to say in my production log or show that I struggled for time but I made up for it in the end, so like my time management wasnt consistent but I made up for it in the end? or should I just edit as I go, bluff the parts I may not have really been productive in (but made up for later) then edit to make them look better when I finish?
In my proposal form it says i should have finished my lit review right now but i have to actually start the research. then my plan has shifted to doing the discussion first then the lit. review. partially the reason why i started late in the first place us because of how long it took me to come up with a question i was happy with (so it was feb that i actually stuck to my question, then i procrastinated a bit, then revised for exams until now). also i did a presentation on my findings in a medical society at my school, would it be really benefical to put that into my project log too?

i wrote that of my time management in epq so no, but i also did the accelerated route where you submit much earlier. in context though its not worth dedicating much time to because the production log is about which specific aspects went well and time management is broad

externally undertaken work like that is probably not assessed

No! Make sure you mention every struggle! AQA (or any other exam board) want to see progression. It’s not about the perfect EPQ student, but rather they want to see you develop into one. I mentioned COVID-19, mocks, competitions that I entered, legit everything that took place during my EPQ. I would then talk about how I changed my Gantt Chart (or deadlines) in order to facilitate the changes. Don’t worry you can mention that you found a certain but difficult and decided to approach another section so you can get words on document. Your presentation’s plan should be in production log under “Presentation Record A”, but I think you can still reflect on it under “Summary and Reflection” which is the final section of the production log. Please bear in mind that the production log I am describing is the one for AQA, I don’t know your exam board so I won’t be sure.

No worries about the lengthy message, I was stressed out about my EPQ at one point, thankfully it is over but it was a pleasurable journey which I would recommend to all !

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending