The Student Room Group

GCSE French

Hi, I need help writing a higher tier essay on holidays for GCSE French. Does anyone here have high quality examples?

Much appreciated,
Kiper
Hi Kiper! Below are some phrases you can mush together for your essay -- remember that to achieve high marks you must have opinions and justifications / reasons e.g. opinion: I like hot chocolate, justification: because it warms me up in the winter / because it tastes nice etc.

NB: I am female so some of the sentences involving 'I' will be in the feminine form + the language gets better as you go down, also please let me know if your teacher says anything bad about the language since I'm also taking GCSE French and these are some of my revision sentences.
èéâàîê
seaside = au bord de la mer
I stay there for a fortnight = J'y reste quinze jours
I prefer active holidays = Je préfère les vacances actives
scuba-diving = la plongée sous-marine
fishing = va à la pêche
windsurfing = la planche à voile
go down the Amazon in a canoe = descendre l'Amazone en canoë
I would like to try some extreme sports = j'aimerais essayer des sports extrêmes
to see the gorillas in the wild = voir des gorilles en liberté
or go on a safari in Africa = ou faire un safari en Afrique
I stayed too long in the sun and as a result, I got sunburnt = Je suis restée trop longtemps au soleil et par conséquent, ja'i pris un coup de soleil
i fell in the pool, everyone laughed, it was embarrassing = je suis tombée dans la piscine, tout le monde a ri, c'était gênant
During the holidays = pendant les vacances
Normally we go to France/Italy = Normalement nous allons en Italie / en France
I go to Spain with my family = Je vais en Espagne avec ma famille
Sometimes we go to the US = Quelquefois nous allons aux états-Unis (capital E for etats)
My sister goes to Greece = Ma sœur va en Grèce
We stay in a luxurious hotel = nous descendons dans un hôtel luxueux
I would like ti travel the world = Je voudrais faire le tour du monde
I went to Nice in order to do some shopping = je suis allée à Nice pour faire du shopping
I visited my cousins = j'ai rendu visite à mes cousins
I bought a new T-shirt = J'ai acheté une nouveau T-shirt
which cost an arm and a leg (the french version is which cost the eyes on my head) = qui a coûté les yeux de la tête
night club = boîte de nuit
processions and fireworks les défilés abd les feu d'artifice
Last year, we went to the Avignon Drama festival, it's in Edinburgh = L'année dernière, on est allés au festival de théâtre d'Avignon, c'est comme Edimbourg
There were free shows on the streets = Il y avait des spectacles gratuits dans la rue
Next year, for New Year, I am going to go to Australia = L'année prochaine, pour le Nouvel An, je vais aller en Australie.
After eating, we will go to the beach to swim = Après avoir mangé (after eating is a rlly good phrase to use btw) nous irons à la plage nous baigner
The town is lively, there is a market every week and a festival in the summer = La ville est animée, il y a un marché chaque semaine et un festival l'été
Tourists can visit museums or walk along the Thames = les touristes peuvent visiter les musées ou se balader le long de la Tamise.
Public transport enables me to go anywhere = Les transports em commun me permettent d'aller partout
There is a lot of things to do and see = Il y a beaucoup de choses à faire et à voir
In the countryside = à la campagne
There is less danger: you are not scared of getting attacked = il y a moins de danger: on n'a pas peur d'être attaqué
I like the open air = Le plein air me plaît beaucoup
Life is more relaxed = La vie est plus détendue
You can go for long walks along the river = On peut faire de longues randonnées le long de la rivière

Good luck!
Mili xx
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by RedVelvet16
Hi Kiper! Below are some phrases you can mush together for your essay -- remember that to achieve high marks you must have opinions and justifications / reasons e.g. opinion: I like hot chocolate, justification: because it warms me up in the winter / because it tastes nice etc.

NB: I am female so some of the sentences involving 'I' will be in the feminine form + the language gets better as you go down, also please let me know if your teacher says anything bad about the language since I'm also taking GCSE French and these are some of my revision sentences.
èéâàîê
seaside = au bord de la mer
I stay there for a fortnight = J'y reste quinze jours
I prefer active holidays = Je préfère les vacances actives
scuba-diving = la plongée sous-marine
fishing = va à la pêche
windsurfing = la planche à voile
go down the Amazon in a canoe = descendre l'Amazone en canoë
I would like to try some extreme sports = j'aimerais essayer des sports extrêmes
to see the gorillas in the wild = voir des gorilles en liberté
or go on a safari in Africa = ou faire un safari en Afrique
I stayed too long in the sun and as a result, I got sunburnt = Je suis restée trop longtemps au soleil et par conséquent, ja'i pris un coup de soleil
i fell in the pool, everyone laughed, it was embarrassing = je suis tombée dans la piscine, tout le monde a ri, c'était gênant
During the holidays = pendant les vacances
Normally we go to France/Italy = Normalement nous allons en Italie / en France
I go to Spain with my family = Je vais en Espagne avec ma famille
Sometimes we go to the US = Quelquefois nous allons aux états-Unis (capital E for etats)
My sister goes to Greece = Ma sœur va en Grèce
We stay in a luxurious hotel = nous descendons dans un hôtel luxueux
I would like ti travel the world = Je voudrais faire le tour du monde
I went to Nice in order to do some shopping = je suis allée à Nice pour faire du shopping
I visited my cousins = j'ai rendu visite à mes cousins
I bought a new T-shirt = J'ai acheté une nouveau T-shirt
which cost an arm and a leg (the french version is which cost the eyes on my head) = qui a coûté les yeux de la tête
night club = boîte de nuit
processions and fireworks les défilés abd les feu d'artifice
Last year, we went to the Avignon Drama festival, it's in Edinburgh = L'année dernière, on est allés au festival de théâtre d'Avignon, c'est comme Edimbourg
There were free shows on the streets = Il y avait des spectacles gratuits dans la rue
Next year, for New Year, I am going to go to Australia = L'année prochaine, pour le Nouvel An, je vais aller en Australie.
After eating, we will go to the beach to swim = Après avoir mangé (after eating is a rlly good phrase to use btw) nous irons à la plage nous baigner
The town is lively, there is a market every week and a festival in the summer = La ville est animée, il y a un marché chaque semaine et un festival l'été
Tourists can visit museums or walk along the Thames = les touristes peuvent visiter les musées ou se balader le long de la Tamise.
Public transport enables me to go anywhere = Les transports em commun me permettent d'aller partout
There is a lot of things to do and see = Il y a beaucoup de choses à faire et à voir
In the countryside = à la campagne
There is less danger: you are not scared of getting attacked = il y a moins de danger: on n'a pas peur d'être attaqué
I like the open air = Le plein air me plaît beaucoup
Life is more relaxed = La vie est plus détendue
You can go for long walks along the river = On peut faire de longues randonnées le long de la rivière

Good luck!
Mili xx

ty mili appreciate it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending