The Student Room Group

Advanced higher maths or modern studies?

Hi, i am currently in fifth year and i will be starting sixth year in a few weeks however i am not sure on what subject to take for my third advanced higher. i am definitely taking adv chemistry and adv biology but i’m not sure between maths and modern studies. i’m applying for medicine and maybe psychology or law or anything similar to that as my fifth choice but i’m not sure if just the skills that modern studies has such as essay writing and whatever will be more beneficial than maths as i will be taking two sciences? i just want to see the advantages and disadvantages of taking either along with the subjects i’m taking and i am thinking about maybe taking four advanced highers because i don’t think i will be able to choose and just want some advice because i don’t think i will be able to handle four 😅 thank you :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Hi,
I am just finishing S6 and I did 3 advanced highers: biology, chemistry and maths and am going to study medicine at the university of Glasgow hopefully.
I'll start by saying I actually started off doing 4 advanced highers, my 3 plus English. I, much like you, thought the essay writing would benefit my future in medicine (that isn't something I can comment on yet) and I also enjoyed the subject a lot for literary analysis. I did the 4 subjects together in that period of online learning and as I did find it challenging it was very much manageable. However as school opened I realised how I'd much rather my time doing other activities that would also benefit my application. You'll have to sit the UCAT and then prepare for interviews as well as other application stuff which in itself feels like a whole other subject. There was also the fact that I really wanted to enjoy my last year with my friends and relax more before the storm of uni. Hence my decision to drop English. So I'd take 4 advanced highers at my own risk.

In terms of subject choice, either is acceptable and honestly I don't think it matters to unis that much. You're better off doing something you enjoy or you know you're good at to secure the grade. Id also consider the coursework associated and how that might effect ur time management. Obviously this year course work was cancelled but AH Maths doesn't have any coursework which can be seen as a good or bad thing.

I've rambled a lot but I hope this helps you make a decision.

p.s. Law isnt really a related subject to medicine and has a separate entrance exam so I dont think you could apply for that as your 5th choice.
Schools are unlikely to allow you to take 4 adv highers. it's not necessary for any uni application and it's way too much work.

I'm not sure what the requirements for medicine are, tbh. Do they want 3 STEM-related advanced highers? Would it look good to have an essay based subject like modern studies to show that you're flexible in education and can do other things?

I'm biased of course because I'm just finishing advanced mods and I was never a fan of maths (only did nat5 lol, didn't bother with higher in 5th year). Mods is a really interesting subject. It could also depend on what part of the mods course the school offers. There's politics, crime, and social inequalities. All have research methods, too. I think the coursework is fairly interesting (from politics anyway because that's what we did) and i enjoyed writing my dissertation even though it's very long.
hello! thank you so much for replying :smile:) AH congratulations!! i hope everything goes well :smile: right okay yeah that’s something i was also taking into consideration because just preparing to apply for medicine will take up a lot of my time :frown: oh phew thank you!! ahh the law thing :frown: i don’t know if this is worth mentioning but the reason why i want to apply for law or criminology or whatever is because i wanna do those more than medicine? my parents are currently wanting me to do medicine and ah maths on top of that so i thought that law could’ve been an option but thank you that does make sense since i guess my personal statement and whatever will be more tailored towards medicine so a medicine related subject is more helpful.

thank you so much! it really has i definitely don’t want to take four advanced highers now 😅
Its not really my place to say but maybe you could talk to your parents more about what you want to do in future before the application process really starts. That way you can be solid in your choice and fully commit to one without thinking what the other would be like, law or medicine. I understand that your parents might not understand your choice but a point is to be made that if you aren't fully committed to something like medicine it could possibly effect your chances of getting in because it is very committed and if you'd rather be doing something else that can effect your work put in. But I completely understand meeting your parents expectations.
Original post by NamiBread
Its not really my place to say but maybe you could talk to your parents more about what you want to do in future before the application process really starts. That way you can be solid in your choice and fully commit to one without thinking what the other would be like, law or medicine. I understand that your parents might not understand your choice but a point is to be made that if you aren't fully committed to something like medicine it could possibly effect your chances of getting in because it is very committed and if you'd rather be doing something else that can effect your work put in. But I completely understand meeting your parents expectations.

yes thank you!! that’s definitely something i will do soon, for the fifth choice, does it have to be science related?
Original post by cchloepx
Schools are unlikely to allow you to take 4 adv highers. it's not necessary for any uni application and it's way too much work.

I'm not sure what the requirements for medicine are, tbh. Do they want 3 STEM-related advanced highers? Would it look good to have an essay based subject like modern studies to show that you're flexible in education and can do other things?

I'm biased of course because I'm just finishing advanced mods and I was never a fan of maths (only did nat5 lol, didn't bother with higher in 5th year). Mods is a really interesting subject. It could also depend on what part of the mods course the school offers. There's politics, crime, and social inequalities. All have research methods, too. I think the coursework is fairly interesting (from politics anyway because that's what we did) and i enjoyed writing my dissertation even though it's very long.

they do require you to do adv chemistry however i do think some uni’s want adv biology? not completely sure on that one. i thought maths because it’s just related to the other two so it could just help but that’s also what i was thinking! that it could show that i’m also good at another aspect academic wise other than just the sciences!

Yes! our school is doing law and crime which i find completely fascinating as we did a unit on crime in nat 5 which i loved. before this year maths was my strongest subject but now it’s mods? so that’s also another reason why i’m in a dilemma because if i’m good at mods now and if it still roughly follows the same structure as it does in higher then it won’t be as much of a problem for me since i do struggle with chemistry a lot so it would take some weight off my shoulders in that aspect.

I did ask my school about taking four adv and they did say that there’s not enough periods in a week for me to be able to do four adv and are advising me not to but aren’t completely flat out saying no however for medicine just preparing for the application process is just stressful eg interviews and stuff so i probably wouldn’t have enough time to do four anyways but i do seem to like them both.

What skills did you pick up from doing advanced mods? tbh i don’t really see much skills that could be picked up from doing adv maths since i’m sure chemistry anyway will be covering those as well considering that calculations do seem to play a fair bit in higher.
Original post by jannatafzal1233
they do require you to do adv chemistry however i do think some uni’s want adv biology? not completely sure on that one. i thought maths because it’s just related to the other two so it could just help but that’s also what i was thinking! that it could show that i’m also good at another aspect academic wise other than just the sciences!

Yes! our school is doing law and crime which i find completely fascinating as we did a unit on crime in nat 5 which i loved. before this year maths was my strongest subject but now it’s mods? so that’s also another reason why i’m in a dilemma because if i’m good at mods now and if it still roughly follows the same structure as it does in higher then it won’t be as much of a problem for me since i do struggle with chemistry a lot so it would take some weight off my shoulders in that aspect.

I did ask my school about taking four adv and they did say that there’s not enough periods in a week for me to be able to do four adv and are advising me not to but aren’t completely flat out saying no however for medicine just preparing for the application process is just stressful eg interviews and stuff so i probably wouldn’t have enough time to do four anyways but i do seem to like them both.

What skills did you pick up from doing advanced mods? tbh i don’t really see much skills that could be picked up from doing adv maths since i’m sure chemistry anyway will be covering those as well considering that calculations do seem to play a fair bit in higher.

there's no requirements for any of the scottish universities for advanced highers so you can pick what combination you enjoy and and are likely to get an A in - there's no need to pick four advanced highers, and quite frankly I don't think the universities would care what your 3 subjects would be from the four you mentioned as long as you meet the grades - 3 is sufficient and your offer will be 3B's at AH for all but edinburgh which is 2B's - you will have to spend time gaining work experience, volunteering/working/hobbies (which you already should be doing), UCAT and interviews which can take quite a bit off your studying time.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Omair1201
there's no requirements for any of the scottish universities for advanced highers so you can pick what combination you enjoy and and are likely to get an A in - there's no need to pick four advanced highers, and quite frankly I don't think the universities would care what your 3 subjects would be from the four you mentioned as long as you meet the grades - 3 is sufficient and your offer will be 3B's at AH for all but edinburgh which is 2B's - you will have to spend time gaining work experience, volunteering/working/hobbies (which you already should be doing), UCAT and interviews which can take quite a bit off your studying time.

oh wow that’s great then!! we were told that chemistry was a must but glad that’s out of the way then. thank you so much, this was really helpful!
I'd check each universities website for their entry requirements because most expect chemistry.
For your 5th choice, I'm not really sure if it has to be science related. I myself put down pharmacy and many other I know didnt even put a 5th option. I've attached an article that might help you with your choices more.
I'd check each universities website for their entry requirements because most expect chemistry.
For your 5th choice, I'm not really sure if it has to be science related. I myself put down pharmacy and many other I know didnt even put a 5th option. I've attached an article that might help you with your choices more.

https://www.themedicportal.com/blog/medicine-applications-make-5th-ucas-choice/

The crime section seems so interesting tbh. My boyfriend did it last year when he did adv mods and I’m low-key jealous cause it seems like so much more fun than politics.

I think advanced mods is good because it teaches you bigger essay skills. You’ll be marked on analysis, synthesis, evaluation, and comparison, whereas in higher mods most of your marks come from analysis and knowledge, as well as a little evaluation. But I think adv mods really solidifies useful essay skills.

Research methods can be a bit boring sometimes but they do introduce some critical thinking skills and arent too hard.

I think the dissertation is important because as far as I’m aware Chem and bio don’t do dissertations. The mods dissertation will allow you to write an extended piece (5000+ words) and will also teach you some more basic stuff that’s useful for uni like referencing, appendices, formatting, etc.

Overall I just think it was a good subject. It’s not a HUGE step up from higher modern studies once you get the hang of the essay layouts. I also don’t think the timing is that bad. In the higher exam you have roughly 40~ minutes for a 20 mark essay. Adv mods essays are 30 marks and you have an hour so I don’t feel like you’re rushing. I probably would’ve had a good 5-10 minutes at the end of my exam last week if I didn’t keep breaking cause my hand was sore lol.

ahhh okay yeah that’s something our teacher has touched upon as well? apparently if your school offered adv bio and chem they would be why didn’t you take it which is fair. thank you! i’ll give this a read!
The crime section seems so interesting tbh. My boyfriend did it last year when he did adv mods and I’m low-key jealous cause it seems like so much more fun than politics.

I think advanced mods is good because it teaches you bigger essay skills. You’ll be marked on analysis, synthesis, evaluation, and comparison, whereas in higher mods most of your marks come from analysis and knowledge, as well as a little evaluation. But I think adv mods really solidifies useful essay skills.

Research methods can be a bit boring sometimes but they do introduce some critical thinking skills and arent too hard.

I think the dissertation is important because as far as I’m aware Chem and bio don’t do dissertations. The mods dissertation will allow you to write an extended piece (5000+ words) and will also teach you some more basic stuff that’s useful for uni like referencing, appendices, formatting, etc.

Overall I just think it was a good subject. It’s not a HUGE step up from higher modern studies once you get the hang of the essay layouts. I also don’t think the timing is that bad. In the higher exam you have roughly 40~ minutes for a 20 mark essay. Adv mods essays are 30 marks and you have an hour so I don’t feel like you’re rushing. I probably would’ve had a good 5-10 minutes at the end of my exam last week if I didn’t keep breaking cause my hand was sore lol.

the crime section does seem interesting i’m so glad my school does it. yeah i don’t think they do? i think they have projects instead and ig doing dissertation’s in adv before actually going to uni will be helpful as i wouldve already done one. oh wow! that’s a lot of time i think higher tbh was kinda short so i’m glad there’s time haha. thank you so much this was really helpful :smile:!!

oh btw i have another question, since modern studies is a scotland only subject, will england uni’s or uni’s abroad accept it as a valid advanced higher? because i’ve read that the closest thing england has to modern studies is general studies and apparently it’s not considered a valid a level?
oh btw i have another question, since modern studies is a scotland only subject, will england uni’s or uni’s abroad accept it as a valid advanced higher? because i’ve read that the closest thing england has to modern studies is general studies and apparently it’s not considered a valid a level?

I’d say modern studies would be more linked to politics, for the politics section anyway. Crime could be more similar to sociology.

I didn’t apply for politics/IR that would be the subjects to ask for modern studies probably but I have firmed Leeds for Italian and Japanese and they asked for a B at Higher or an A at advanced higher (don’t even ask why I don’t get it either) so considering modern studies is the only advanced higher I do, I’d assume that it is a valid advanced higher for English unis.
You could shoot them an email to ask just in case. But I feel like it’s not fair to compare general studies and modern studies because from what I’ve been told general studies seems to be like.. just teaching people to have surface knowledge of different things like politics, literature, language, etc. which I just don’t think is comparable to modern studies at all.

I wish English unis were more knowledgeable of the Scottish education system tbh :/ like I wanted to apply to UCL and they asked for 3 advanced highers all at As. For a languages degree LOL. Cambridge wanted less than that.
English unis don’t seem to be aware of how advanced highers work here. They’re harder than A-levels and most students don’t actually have the chance to do 3 advanced highers. Timetabling often just doesn’t allow it, especially when you have to travel to other schools to do them.
I’d say modern studies would be more linked to politics, for the politics section anyway. Crime could be more similar to sociology.

I didn’t apply for politics/IR that would be the subjects to ask for modern studies probably but I have firmed Leeds for Italian and Japanese and they asked for a B at Higher or an A at advanced higher (don’t even ask why I don’t get it either) so considering modern studies is the only advanced higher I do, I’d assume that it is a valid advanced higher for English unis.
You could shoot them an email to ask just in case. But I feel like it’s not fair to compare general studies and modern studies because from what I’ve been told general studies seems to be like.. just teaching people to have surface knowledge of different things like politics, literature, language, etc. which I just don’t think is comparable to modern studies at all.

I wish English unis were more knowledgeable of the Scottish education system tbh :/ like I wanted to apply to UCL and they asked for 3 advanced highers all at As. For a languages degree LOL. Cambridge wanted less than that.
English unis don’t seem to be aware of how advanced highers work here. They’re harder than A-levels and most students don’t actually have the chance to do 3 advanced highers. Timetabling often just doesn’t allow it, especially when you have to travel to other schools to do them.

hii!! thank u so much for ur response! sorry for seeing this late but i did decide to go w adv h mods :smile:!! and i do agree w the education system part; some england uni’s require A*AA or smth like that but won’t include adv h equivalents bc since surely adv h’s are higher than a levels wouldn’t the grade requirements be lower than that of a levels :/ it’s just tricky :/
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending