The Student Room Group

Shared Bills with Housemate

Hey!I am looking for some advice on what to do about my house bills. This year I shared an account with EON (now EON Next), where the account in my name but the housemate was paying the direct debit agreement.Some of the direct debits show as being refunded on the bills and now the contract is drawing to a close, the account is in debt as it hadn't been paid. My housemate has removed themselves from the direct debit agreement and has since moved out (but is still on the tenancy agreement). When texting her to ask for half of the money she has read the messages but hasn't responded. Who is legally responsible to complete this payment? I don't understand why my name is the only one on the account when she is the primary bill payer and EON Next apparently don't have any access to the EON files. Is there anything I can do to make my housemate liable for half of these costs?
Might be worth speaking with your local Citizen's Advice Bureau about this, seems like a tricky situation :s-smilie:
Reply 2
Original post by meganscobie1
This year I shared an account with EON (now EON Next), where the account in my name

So the account is only in your name?
Original post by Reue
So the account is only in your name?

from what I can see yes, however I am not sure whether she removed her name from it somehow when she took her bank details off as I never would have agreed to have it in my name only if i wasn't in charge of payments
Reply 4
Original post by meganscobie1
from what I can see yes, however I am not sure whether she removed her name from it somehow when she took her bank details off as I never would have agreed to have it in my name only if i wasn't in charge of payments

You need to check with the company if your housemate did have their name on the account, and under what authorisation it was removed.

If their name has never been on the account then you are liable for the whole bill to the company and will need to sue your ex housemate separately

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending