The Student Room Group

Anyone else feel it's just simpler to live alone?

So on paper we should want a companion. But even as the opportunity arises, I find it just brings more questions about the complications of living together. Does this mean it's the wrong person? I just feel I've got my set up, nice little house and I enjoy my errands and know the local area and cafe etc.
Do I need the complication of living with someone? Sorting out the financial arrangement for a start. Does anyone else just always end up preferring to live alone?
I think I should find friends and a life goal they are key to happiness, not necessarily living with someone, especially as I'm not married with kids.

Sodo you prefer to live alone or are you planning moving in with someone, or do you already?
Reply 1
i live with my boyfriend. i cant imagine living on my own tbh. a few days sure but permanently? i dont think i could cope. too many responsibilities. and id get super lonely
Personally I think being single or living alone is better bc being single u don't have to worry abt drama abt break ups at stuff like that but that's just a personal view point
Living alone is good for someone who can cope with loneliness, for every other one it is a pain. What I hated the most was the silence in the rooms.
Original post by SaucissonSecCy
So on paper we should want a companion. But even as the opportunity arises, I find it just brings more questions about the complications of living together. Does this mean it's the wrong person? I just feel I've got my set up, nice little house and I enjoy my errands and know the local area and cafe etc.
Do I need the complication of living with someone? Sorting out the financial arrangement for a start. Does anyone else just always end up preferring to live alone?
I think I should find friends and a life goal they are key to happiness, not necessarily living with someone, especially as I'm not married with kids.

Sodo you prefer to live alone or are you planning moving in with someone, or do you already?

I quite like living alone... it's something I tried doing after a housemate at Uni decided to hog the bathroom one morning and I was late for an important meeting that could have landed me a job. This was despite me asking everyone to leave the bathroom free at a specific time. I'm still pretty p:ssed off about that TBH.

It's nice, as your place is your territory to have how you like (e.g. you don't have to bother cleaning, or your place is always spotless). And it's knowing that housemates bad habits aren't going to annoy you. And... TBF, that works both ways; I know I'm not annoying / upsetting anyone with my quirks and perks. No arguments or politics to concern yourself with. You can bring back "guests" and entertain them, without worrying about disturbing housemates or treading on their toes.

Main downside is that things like rent, bills etc. can obviously be more expensive, as you're responsible for managing everything. Even so, it can be a good learning curve and you fast develop your organising and budgeting skills.

If you're really worried about getting lonely, maybe get a dog or a cat. They'll be loyal, always pleased to see you... unconditional love, and they don't answer back. 😎
Depends in my opinion
Reply 6
There are advantages of living alone, in my opinion they are outweighed by the advantages of living with a decent partner. Generally the people happiest being single can probably end it pretty much when they choose. I have found a weekend relationship a good blend of the advantages in the past
Original post by Ciel.
i live with my boyfriend. i cant imagine living on my own tbh. a few days sure but permanently? i dont think i could cope. too many responsibilities. and id get super lonely

That confirms my statement. Loneliness may good for days, not for longer. All the more when people are in a relationship.
Reply 8
Before my mysterious illness (still didn't find what's wrong with me), I thought I would be ok alone, but I like living with house mates. Now I know it's a necessity to have someone close you can trust. It doesn't have to be your couple but a close friend at least. We've got so much closer with all the housemates.
Now I'm almost 100% back to normal but still feel a lot better knowing I'm not alone.
Reply 9
God I loved living on my own. But if I didn't get out the house of a weekend I would get a proper cabin fever that I don't egt when there are other people around.
Reply 10
Living on your own is awesome in a few ways... The freedom you have is super nice.

I do think however that if you find someone you are comfortable living with, and like to share things with, that definitely outweighs being on your own all the time. Having someone else be able to share the chores is nice too :P
Yes, it's so much simpler and more private.
No more housemates, shared kitchens or bathrooms.
I've lived alone for most of my adult life and will never live with another adult again.
Advantages:
Personal freedom.
The interior decoration is entirely your choice.
Bring someone home with you is not going to cause issues.
You can walk around in the nude when you damned well please.
No squabbling over the fridge.

Disadvantages:
It is more expensive.
All the housework is your responsibility.

I'm currently really enjoying living by myself. Certainly better than sharing a house with people who aren't fully housetrained.
(edited 2 months ago)
Ideally I would never live with a partner and permanently live in 2 separate places.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending