The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL Natural Sciences - GEE & Earth and Environment

I am currently deciding which universities to firm and insure. I’m certain on my firm choice, but am between Durham and UCL for my insurance. I was pretty set on Durham since the course is known for being “more well organised”, and I have been allocated to Castle which I love. However, after doing more research, I have found that the Genetics, Evolution and Environment & Earth and Environment streams at UCL really cover what I am interested in.
Is the natural sciences course at UCL really as bad as people make it out to be? I’ve heard that the course is badly structured and there are loads of timetable clashes.
I prefer the course content at UCL but I don’t think there would be much point in me choosing a course at a University where natural sciences takes more of a back seat, and straight science degrees get the priority when it comes to timetabling! At the same time, I wouldn’t want to go with Durham and trust what I have read online about UCL if there is little truth in what people have been saying.
Any help would be greatly appreciated :smile:
Original post by cocosd
I am currently deciding which universities to firm and insure. I’m certain on my firm choice, but am between Durham and UCL for my insurance. I was pretty set on Durham since the course is known for being “more well organised”, and I have been allocated to Castle which I love. However, after doing more research, I have found that the Genetics, Evolution and Environment & Earth and Environment streams at UCL really cover what I am interested in.
Is the natural sciences course at UCL really as bad as people make it out to be? I’ve heard that the course is badly structured and there are loads of timetable clashes.
I prefer the course content at UCL but I don’t think there would be much point in me choosing a course at a University where natural sciences takes more of a back seat, and straight science degrees get the priority when it comes to timetabling! At the same time, I wouldn’t want to go with Durham and trust what I have read online about UCL if there is little truth in what people have been saying.

Hi, unfortunately I can't help you to choose between Durham and UCL. But if you put Durham as your insurance and you end up going there they are going change your college. From what I understood you can be in your allocated college only if you firm your offer. On the other hand if durham is your insurance they will change your college if it's overbooked and in general Castle is always overbooked so you can end up in a college that you don't like
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, unfortunately I can't help you to choose between Durham and UCL. But if you put Durham as your insurance and you end up going there they are going change your college. From what I understood you can be in your allocated college only if you firm your offer. On the other hand if durham is your insurance they will change your college if it's overbooked and in general Castle is always overbooked so you can end up in a college that you don't like

Wow, I didn't know that - thanks for letting me know. I guess it is just down to the course at the end of the day. I am just really worried about making the wrong decision!
Original post by cocosd

what about where you want to live?

uni experience in London will be very different to the uni experience in Durham
Reply 4
what about where you want to live?

uni experience in London will be very different to the uni experience in Durham

I live just outside of London at the moment and love it here - it's what I've known my whole life. Durham is really beautiful though and it might be nice to have a change of scenery. The only issue I have with its location is that it's 3 hours away from home, and I have never been that far away from my family. I am not sure I will get my firm choice with how grading is panning out this year so I really need my insurance to be perfect.

I'm really in two minds about the whole situation which doesn't help considering the deadline is fast approaching and I still haven't applied for UCL accommodation (if I choose to insure it).
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by cocosd
I live just outside of London at the moment and love it here - it's what I've known my whole life. Durham is really beautiful though and it might be nice to have a change of scenery. The only issue I have with its location is that it's 3 hours away from home, and I have never been that far away from my family. I am not sure I will get my firm choice with how grading is panning out this year so I really need my insurance to be perfect.

I'm really in two minds about the whole situation which doesn't help considering the deadline is fast approaching and I still haven't applied for UCL accommodation (if I choose to insure it).

Living away from your family is going to be difficult ngl, but in general almost everybody at Durham is going to be far from the family so we should be able to cheer each other up when we are sad. Also I think the most difficult part is going to be the first term and after it we should be able to settle in.
Reply 6
Living away from your family is going to be difficult ngl, but in general almost everybody at Durham is going to be far from the family so we should be able to cheer each other up when we are sad. Also I think the most difficult part is going to be the first term and after it we should be able to settle in.

Yeah, I see what you mean. I feel like I will settle in quickly. I am more worried about the course to be honest. The UCL one covers a lot more of what I would like to study, but if it is badly organised then I would choose Durham over it just so that I won't have to worry about timetable clashes
Original post by cocosd
Yeah, I see what you mean. I feel like I will settle in quickly. I am more worried about the course to be honest. The UCL one covers a lot more of what I would like to study, but if it is badly organised then I would choose Durham over it just so that I won't have to worry about timetable clashes

Unfortunately I can't help for the course because I have applied for a totally different subject, hopefully someone else can help you
Reply 8
Unfortunately I can't help for the course because I have applied for a totally different subject, hopefully someone else can help you

Not to worry, thanks for your help :smile:
I don't know whether this is a thing but u could always insure durham and then if u get the grades you could phone them up on results day to see if they will let u on- I'm in a v similar position as not sure what to firm
Reply 10
I don't know whether this is a thing but u could always insure durham and then if u get the grades you could phone them up on results day to see if they will let u on- I'm in a v similar position as not sure what to firm

Yeah I was thinking that but I’m not sure whether to risk it or not.
I think I’m leaning towards UCL now just because I prefer the course.
If it helps you decide: Yesterday I spoke to someone who does natural sciences at UCL and apparently the course has become a lot more organised over the past few years, and any timetabling issues are easily resolved by emailing the course organiser. They did say though that we need to be familiar with the course modules because some people aren’t interested in specific ones but they are compulsory, unlike Durham where there’s a bit more leniency.
Hopefully we will be okay !!
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending