The Student Room Group

Do universities care about school leadership positions a lot?

I'm a student currently studying in IB Prep Year. My grades are decent and consists of 6s and 7s, but the problem is I started working hard too late. I have extensive MUN experience, and got multiple awards as well as leadership positions as a chair or secretariat. However, in my junior forms I was not an impressive student, so I do not have any leadership positions in school, no matter in the prefect board, student union, clubs and societies etc, not even in the MUN Club. I'm aiming to study law in the UK (possibly more prestigious unis like Cambridge and UCL)- Do universities care about school leadership positions a lot? If they do, what else can I do to make up for my disadvantage?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by nicxlechxn
I'm a student currently studying in IB Prep Year. My grades are decent and consists of 6s and 7s, but the problem is I started working hard too late. I have extensive MUN experience, and got multiple awards as well as leadership positions as a chair or secretariat. However, in my junior forms I was not an impressive student, so I do not have any leadership positions in school, no matter in the prefect board, student union, clubs and societies etc, not even in the MUN Club. I'm aiming to study law in the UK (possibly more prestigious unis like Cambridge and UCL)- Do universities care about school leadership positions a lot? If they do, what else can I do to make up for my disadvantage?

Hi Nicole!

All of the things you mentioned doing will be appreciated by universities, as long as you mention them in some way in your personal statement, especially things like MUN which are related to what you are planning to study. More than the positions themselves, however, it is important you describe reasons why these things make you a good fit for your course. Explaining what you learned and what you accomplished as part of your MUN society, for example, is more important than the role itself in most places. Any interests or extracurricular activities whatsoever can be interesting.

If you are not yet at the stage of writing your personal statement for your university applications, it would probably be beneficial to check with your current school what help you can receive in showcasing who you are in your statement. Most schools will have some form of careers services, and they'll have helped students write hundreds of successful statements over the years. I suggest working with them to ensure you don't misrepresent yourself. There are also likely similar examples of personal statements online that are worth checking out to get an idea of how others have successfully shown off their achievements.

I hope this has helped, and good luck when it comes to applying for unis!

Cameron
Student Ambassador/Software Engineering Student
Not really, all that matters is grades, work experience and passion for the course
Original post by Nathanbeans
Not really, all that matters is grades, work experience and passion for the course

work experience isn't really important for Oxbridge/LSE/UCL law etc (or any law school) since law at most universities and definitely at oxbridge isn't vocational. The more important things are: grades, entrance exam scores, doing things that demonstrate interest in the theory of law (reading books on the oxford recommended reading list and forming your own opinions/arguments to write about on your personal statement etc)
OP oxbridge don't care at all about school leadership, MUN etc unlike in America where the top schools do. Oxbridge only care about how clever you are and how much you love the course so read books around it etc and maybe write some essays/start a blog about some interesting cases/facets of jurisprudence
You’re applying to study an academic degree not to chair a committee or lead a team.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending