The Student Room Group

Thinking about potentially not going uni anymore

So essentially i I accepted an offer last year but defered due to covid and money problems and now I’m running into the same money problems and just some really bad anxiety about uni life with barely any money so i just wanna know if it is possible to contact the uni and say remove my place for my course, I’m not hundred percent either way i just really need help with this one

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If money is the sole issue, SFE can give you a max maintenance loan of around £9k. Also if you don't mind me asking what are you anxious about regarding uni life?
Original post by Anonymous
So essentially i I accepted an offer last year but defered due to covid and money problems and now I’m running into the same money problems and just some really bad anxiety about uni life with barely any money so i just wanna know if it is possible to contact the uni and say remove my place for my course, I’m not hundred percent either way i just really need help with this one

If you need to contact a specific uni, there should be an email on their website
Reply 3

Don't be hasty with this.

Which subject would you be reading?

Have you got everything set up with SFE?
Original post by SyedN
If money is the sole issue, SFE can give you a max maintenance loan of around £9k. Also if you don't mind me asking what are you anxious about regarding uni life?

its actually more like 13k
Original post by Balls_Deep_in_U
its actually more like 13k

For London , yes

Talk to a careers adviser / student support at the uni first op
Need some more context about your situation to advise fully
Reply 7
Original post by SyedN

Because my loan from SFE will only be £4000 ish and my family although make a lot of money have 7 mouths In total to feed not mention all the bills and that so they can’t really help me and I’m worried I won’t be able to find a job as in my area I’ve been applying for jobs ever since i defered and i only got maybe 1 or 2 temp jobs that got screwed cos of covid so it’s that plus getting my parents to send their stuff to the SFE has been a nightmare as well so yeah just not been a fun process so far lol
Reply 8
Original post by Kerzen
Don't be hasty with this.

Which subject would you be reading?

Have you got everything set up with SFE?

I’ll be doing japanese studies literally my dream subject, i just need my parents to send their stuff over then SFE is done but I already know it’ll only be about £4000 ish and my parents have already said they can’t really help me if I can’t get a job at where my uni is
Reply 9
Because my loan from SFE will only be £4000 ish and my family although make a lot of money have 7 mouths In total to feed not mention all the bills and that so they can’t really help me and I’m worried I won’t be able to find a job as in my area I’ve been applying for jobs ever since i defered and i only got maybe 1 or 2 temp jobs that got screwed cos of covid so it’s that plus getting my parents to send their stuff to the SFE has been a nightmare as well so yeah just not been a fun process so far lol

Are you saying that you won't receive enough from SFE to pay for your accommodation, food etc?

What is the shortfall between the cost of your accommodation and your SFE money?
Reply 10
Where are you going to be studying?
Original post by Kerzen
Are you saying that you won't receive enough from SFE to pay for your accommodation, food etc?

What is the shortfall between the cost of your accommodation and your SFE money?

For the accommodation i would want it’ll be about £2000 gap between the loan and rent the cheapest accommodation i could get is £3000 pound but I’ve been told that the extra money I’ll have left over from the loan will last maybe a month or 2 at most so yeah
Original post by Kerzen
Where are you going to be studying?

OBU (Oxford Brookes university)
Reply 13
Because my loan from SFE will only be £4000.

Why would you get so little?
Original post by Kerzen
Why would you get so little?

Cos the minimum is £4000 and my dad earns a lot at his job which is what the SFE bases their maintenance loans on init but as I’ve said they’re a lot of us to feed which means alothough it may seem like a lot it’s not enough for my family to be able to pay for me to live somewhere else hense the need for a job but I’m worried about that as i have stuggled to get employment now yet alone when i go
Reply 15
Cos the minimum is £4000 and my dad earns a lot at his job which is what the SFE bases their maintenance loans on init but as I’ve said they’re a lot of us to feed which means alothough it may seem like a lot it’s not enough for my family to be able to pay for me to live somewhere else hense the need for a job but I’m worried about that as i have stuggled to get employment now yet alone when i go

Surely most of your father's salary doesn't go on the family's food bill!

On the assumption that your parents have submitted all the necessary paperwork and that the figure is the definitive figure according to SFE, have you spoken to your father about how much he and your Mum can contribute towards your time at Uni?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Kerzen
Surely most of your father's salary doesn't go on the family's food bill!

On the assumption that your parents have submitted all the necessary paperwork and that the figure is the definitive figure according to SFE, have you spoken to your father about how much he and your Mum can contribute towards your time at Uni?

I was using food as like an example but like rent, phone bills, car insurances, other stuff they’ve gotta pay for plus their planing on saving for a morgage to get a house, they have said that if things go wrong i can ask them for money but they’ve also said that it won’t be a lot of help as they can’t really afford it, and my parents haven’t sent the documents yet they’re doing it this week I’ve been trying to remind them to do it but they’ve been forgetting to do it XD but my mum has said that from the numbers she’s seen I’m probably going to get the minimum of the loan
Reply 17
I was using food as like an example but like rent, phone bills, car insurances, other stuff they’ve gotta pay for plus their planing on saving for a morgage to get a house, they have said that if things go wrong i can ask them for money but they’ve also said that it won’t be a lot of help as they can’t really afford it, and my parents haven’t sent the documents yet they’re doing it this week I’ve been trying to remind them to do it but they’ve been forgetting to do it XD but my mum has said that from the numbers she’s seen I’m probably going to get the minimum of the loan

If your parents haven't submitted their paperwork yet, it means that you are working on sums you are imagining. You don't know what the final sum offered by SFE will be.

What is the situation re accommodation, have you chosen somewhere in Halls?
Original post by Kerzen
If your parents haven't submitted their paperwork yet, it means that you are working on sums you are imagining. You don't know what the final sum offered by SFE will be.

What is the situation re accommodation, have you chosen somewhere in Halls?

I haven’t picked my halls yet but i have an idea of which ones I’m going for it’s putting them in the order i want them in that’s what I’m struggling to figure out, honestly this whole year has just been one panic after another trying to figure it all out
Reply 19
I haven’t picked my halls yet but i have an idea of which ones I’m going for it’s putting them in the order i want them in that’s what I’m struggling to figure out, honestly this whole year has just been one panic after another trying to figure it all out

Might it be worth picking the cheaper one in the choice, just in case you need to keep your costs down?

My concern at this point would be you missing out because accommodation is already being snapped up.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending