The Student Room Group

How to avoid inappropriate behaviour?

I'm just looking for some advice really, I never really went clubbing before I came to uni and all my friends here are into clubbing so I have started to go quite often. Most times I go I have had boys touching me inappropriately, rubbing against me, even putting their hand up my skirt!! How do I avoid this without just not going out anymore? I enjoy dancing but some of the occasions have ruined the whole night for me. Thanks
Original post by KianaP
I'm just looking for some advice really, I never really went clubbing before I came to uni and all my friends here are into clubbing so I have started to go quite often. Most times I go I have had boys touching me inappropriately, rubbing against me, even putting their hand up my skirt!! How do I avoid this without just not going out anymore? I enjoy dancing but some of the occasions have ruined the whole night for me. Thanks

Despite it being common, they are technically committing sexual assault... which means their actions could not only potentially land them with a criminal record, but could get them on the sex-offenders register (in theory, at least).

You've got to fight fire with fire. Next time it happens, just give them a firm, "F**k off, or you'll get a slap!" or "Touch me again, and I'll report you to security". There's little point trying to be nice about it, as they typically don't get the message. FYI, I've worked in nightclubs as a DJ, and I know for a fact most security guys would have no qualms about taking them outside for a "friendly chat". I have seen some girls shove guys away or throw their drinks over them... but I personally think that's too much in the first instance. IMHO, a verbal warning should be given first before resorting to physical moves. If they persist after that, then the gloves are off.

Alternatively, if you can actually dance, then be feisty and do it with a lot of energy. For example, if you look at Go-go dancers (those dancers you see in clubs on stage / podiums), they'll often dance in sexy in an aggressive way Either way if you're dancing like that, you're far more likely to "accidentally" elbow or knee them lol. I understand it's not really practical if it's in a really crowded place, but it can work when it's, say 1/2 full.

Also, you say you're at Uni... I'm assuming there are some guys who you know will also be out? Most guys will look after their girl-mates if they're out with them, so if they spot someone getting too close for comfort, they can tap his shoulder and say "Oi mate, that's my missis." Almost certainly they'll back off.

EDIT:- Also, if you go to clubs that are more music orientated (as opposed to drinks orientated), people (generally) tend to be much better behaved. I understand you probably go to the Students Union, but there must be various music societies who have their own theme nights, no? If not, ditch the union and have a look around town. As an extra incentive, you'll get more of the songs you actually really like 😉
(edited 2 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending