The Student Room Group

My university was awful.

I just spent an hour typing up my experience for Student Room to tell me it's too long and now I have lost the whole thing I typed, so I'll say it much shorter this time: ULaw is a really awful university and I would not recommend that anyone who wants to study law goes there. Go to a public university where will surely get so much more support from tutors, and potentially not be threatened that if you leave the university, you won't get any of your fees back, despite them not having to teach you anymore. I would say you should research every other non-private university and ULaw would be your last resort, but even then I'd say don't do it. From my experience, all they want is your money, they don't care about education or making the next generation of Lawyers.

Scroll to see replies

What you wrote must have been a whole book because I've seen some eye-wateringly long posts on this site before and they were posted without any problems.
Original post by Sorcerer of Old
What you wrote must have been a whole book because I've seen some eye-wateringly long posts on this site before and they were posted without any problems.

They could have misclicked and not saved the post somewhere thus losing the post. Firefox and Brave seems to save what you wrote if you accidentally click somewhere else and go back.
Original post by Talkative Toad
They could have misclicked and not saved the post somewhere thus losing the post. Firefox and Brave seems to save what you wrote if you accidentally click somewhere else and go back.

I guess but OP specifically said TSR told him his post was too long??
Reply 4

It was everything that needed to be said and was quite long tbh :smile:
Original post by rsayle
It was everything that needed to be said and was quite long tbh :smile:

Damn, that's a shame. I think I would have enjoyed reading that: long, detailed posts criticising a university usually make for quite good reads imo.
I guess but OP specifically said TSR told him his post was too long??

In that case then I have no idea.

This is the first time I’ve seen someone criticise the University of law.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 7
Complaining about undergraduate law at University of Law is like buying a Toblerone and then complaining that its triangular.
Reply 8
Original post by Trinculo
Complaining about undergraduate law at University of Law is like buying a Toblerone and then complaining that its triangular.

This was a postgraduate course, and yes I am aware that it is very likely that nothing would come from bad reviews about a university, but it is something I felt needed to be said.
Reply 9

If you look on TrustPilot, there are a lot of 1 star reviews for ULaw.
Reply 10
Damn, that's a shame. I think I would have enjoyed reading that: long, detailed posts criticising a university usually make for quite good reads imo.

It was a pretty long and detailed post, included everything I had to say about the university. I wish I copied it into a word doc :|
Original post by rsayle
It was a pretty long and detailed post, included everything I had to say about the university. I wish I copied it into a word doc :|

Maybe one day you can rewrite it when you’re feeling more up to it!
Original post by rsayle
If you look on TrustPilot, there are a lot of 1 star reviews for ULaw.

Looks like it.
What are the teachers like there?

Really?? I used to criticise it all the time when I used to post on here regularly.

They used to accept a lot of people onto their postgrad Law courses who had next to no realistic chance of getting a training contract to become a Solicitor. And be dishonest about it. Doubt anything has changed.

Also, not a good place to do an undergraduate course in Law due to lack of facilities and accommodation. May suit a limited number of people who want to live at home in London anyway and don't care about having the usual student experience. But there are normally better options than them, despite their aggressive marketing.
Original post by harrysbar
Really?? I used to criticise it all the time when I used to post on here regularly.

They used to accept a lot of people onto their postgrad Law courses who had next to no realistic chance of getting a training contract to become a Solicitor. And be dishonest about it. Doubt anything has changed.

Also, not a good place to do an undergraduate course in Law due to lack of facilities and accommodation. May suit a limited number of people who want to live at home in London anyway and don't care about having the usual student experience. But there are normally better options than them, despite their aggressive marketing.

I didn’t know this, thanks for the information,
Original post by harrysbar

Ah, there you are, Harrys! It is such a shame that this uni has taken OP's money for such a rubbish experience. Thanks for warning others about this.
This is just too funny hahahaha
Original post by LawStudent456
This is just too funny hahahaha

Whoops 😂.
For post grad law 80% of potential solicitors use University of Law or BPP. Both tend to have good lecturer and are places to go for the post grad professional exams. On the issue of fee refunds I would imagine the contract terms and conditions set out when refunds are payable. Universities also have rules about fees and if you drop out doing a year. There may in some cases also be student loan rules that apply too.
Original post by Oxford Mum
Ah, there you are, Harrys! It is such a shame that this uni has taken OP's money for such a rubbish experience. Thanks for warning others about this.

Hi Oxford Mum :smile:

Hope you're doing well. I expect you will be busy on Thursday helping your Oxford hopefuls

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending