The Student Room Group

One Britain One Nation

What do you think about One Britain One Nation day on the 25th June which the government has supported? At school, students will sing a patriotic song, dress in red, white and blue and hold parades.

The lyrics include:
"We are Britain and we have one dreamto unite all people in one great team""united forever, never apart". and ends with "Strong Britain, Great Nation".
It was started by retired police officer Kash Singh.

Scroll to see replies

What do you think about the recently announced One Britain One Nation day that the UK Government has given support to? In schools this will involve students singing a patriotic song, dress in red, white and blue and hold parades.

The lyrics include:
"We are Britain and we have one dream, to unite all people in one great team""united forever, never apart". and ends with "Strong Britain, Great Nation".
It was started by retired police officer Kash Singh but now the DoE has got behind it.
Reply 2
All for pledge of allegiance and instilling patriotism ect.. (think how many young folk value Europe or Scotland/Ireland over the UK) but I'm not a fan of the new song and much prefer the traditional rule Britannia or god save the Queen.
(edited 2 years ago)
Have Brits really become so servile and meek that we'll engage is such superficial patriotism and flag waving because the state tells us to?
Reply 4
Original post by benrichardson
What do you think about the recently announced One Britain One Nation day that the UK Government has given support to? In schools this will involve students singing a patriotic song, dress in red, white and blue and hold parades.

The lyrics include:
"We are Britain and we have one dream, to unite all people in one great team""united forever, never apart". and ends with "Strong Britain, Great Nation".
It was started by retired police officer Kash Singh but now the DoE has got behind it.

Promoting British nationalism is it not? To prevent Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland from leaving the United Kingdom I guess. If you are fighting a war then I can understand but this is a bit too much in my opinion.
It's both creepy and cringe worthy, just like all pledges of allegiance.
If I don't get a day off then I simply don't give a ****.
(edited 2 years ago)
Just need lib/lab/con to merge into IngSoc and then it will all fit.
Reply 8
Complete balls.
Original post by Rakas21
All for pledge of allegiance and instilling patriotism ect.. (think how many young folk value Europe or Scotland/Ireland over the UK) but I'm not a fan of the new song and much prefer the traditional rule Britannia or god save the Queen.

"think how many young folk value Europe or Scotland/Ireland over the UK"

Why does this matter, why do we need to "instil patriotism". I would prefer people formed their opinion about various governmental bodies based on evidence and philosophical positions, rather than blind patriotism.
One Britain!
One People!
One Boris!
:tongue:
Great Britain is three nations. Better Together as the 2014 no campaign in the Scottish referendum argued, a 'precious union' according to Theresa May. Asking children to sing this song is like asking them to sing that two times two is five.
Original post by Starship Trooper
One Britain!
One People!
One Boris!
:tongue:

In the Science we trust.
Reply 13
Original post by barnet1471
Great Britain is three nations. Better Together as the 2014 no campaign in the Scottish referendum argued, a 'precious union' according to Theresa May. Asking children to sing this song is like asking them to sing that two times two is five.

Recognising that Britain was formed by a union is not the same as denying that Britain is a nation. For my part, I don't particularly buy into the theory of "nations" in the sense of an unambiguous cultural or ethnic unit that exists independently of the boundaries of a state - but it is pretty silly to deny that Britain is as much of a nation as the United States, Canada or France.

You can merrily identify the UK as being four countries within a country or whatever construct you like. The reality is that these labels are largely meaningless except to identify sovereign states. That's of course not to say that people don't identify with them, but the problem is that peoples identities are complex, often overlapping and sometimes quite contradictory. They don't fit into some notion of absolute collective attachment to one notion of identity.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by UniStudent65675
"think how many young folk value Europe or Scotland/Ireland over the UK"

Why does this matter, why do we need to "instil patriotism". I would prefer people formed their opinion about various governmental bodies based on evidence and philosophical positions, rather than blind patriotism.

One might argue that we operate within a society - and that things like democracy, the rule of law and so on depend on some level of recognition of the state as a social and political unit. That does not suggest that there must necessarily be one view of anything in particular, but rather an acknowledgement that there is a shared, common project that can only really exist so long as there is a decent level of shared, common understanding of it.

If you're white, British and your family came over with William the Conqueror this is unlikely to matter, but we are now a multi-ethnic country that should recognise the need to work to be inclusive.
How did today's celebrations go?
Original post by jameshanson01
How did today's celebrations go?

I doubt if there was much coverage. Something about a man called Matt dominated the news.
Reply 17
Original post by Rakas21

So you're only for patriotism when it's patriotism you agree with then....?
Original post by Quady
So you're only for patriotism when it's patriotism you agree with then....?

Well you can be a Scottish patriot or a British patriot. Unsuprisingly I am the later.
Original post by Rakas21
Well you can be a Scottish patriot or a British patriot. Unsuprisingly I am the later.

Couldn't you be both? (I don't mean like you personally but a hypothetical person). (could also be neither)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending