The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Failed Coursework = Redo the year?

I am a foundation year student. Due to issues with student finance for most of 2021 I didnt have access to my online workshop and therefore couldnt do my coursework on time. I also had many personal issues throughout '21 such as 2 relatives passed away, leak in our property and issues with the landlord. In the case that I have failed I am afraid I will have to redo the year. In the online workshop it says - 'if you fail this module by not completing your work or not completing the work to a satisfactory standard, you will not pass the Foundation Year. You will not be allowed to progress to the next year of your degree course until the Coursework Module requirements have been satisfied'. On another page on required marks to pass it says eg maths 60% rts 60% coursework 60% etc and says 'if you do not achieve the pass mark in up to two modules you will be required to retake the assesment for the failed parts'. What should I get from this i'm unsure
Reply 1
How many modules did you pass?
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Original post by Noble.x
How many modules did you pass?

I passed all and aced the exams Its just the coursework module
Reply 3
Original post by userinuniversity
I passed all and aced the exams Its just the coursework module

Cant you redo it? Maybe on august?
Reply 4
Hi, I'll be starting the Engineering foundation year this year, but I'll be honest, I'm a bit scared of failing since I heard that pass rates were really low. I taught myself A-Level Maths in 6 months in my gap year but had an accident which left me hospitalised for weeks and I missed the exams. If I were to guess, I think I could've got a B grade from those 6 months of learning, but I guess I'll never know. Is there any chance you could maybe give me some information about just how hard the exams actually are to pass and what kind of marks you need, and any information on what the coursework actually entails (I'm guessing some lab reports but I don't know much about those yet either). If you could share your experiences I'd be really grateful!
Original post by Kml02
Hi, I'll be starting the Engineering foundation year this year, but I'll be honest, I'm a bit scared of failing since I heard that pass rates were really low. I taught myself A-Level Maths in 6 months in my gap year but had an accident which left me hospitalised for weeks and I missed the exams. If I were to guess, I think I could've got a B grade from those 6 months of learning, but I guess I'll never know. Is there any chance you could maybe give me some information about just how hard the exams actually are to pass and what kind of marks you need, and any information on what the coursework actually entails (I'm guessing some lab reports but I don't know much about those yet either). If you could share your experiences I'd be really grateful!

Hi! Yes the foundation is hard, and I was surprised I had to do it just because i come from Turkey (I was way above the entry requirements). The exams are hard but you have a lot of time to go over the subjects etc. It being online was also harder but certainly doable. You need 60% from maths, 45 from the rest of the subjects and 40% from coursework if i'm not mistaken. Coursework is very easy just I had very unfortunate events unfold at the most inconvenient times. If you take it seriously you should be fine!
Original post by Kml02

Although I didn't do the engineering foundation year (I did the science foundation year, but looked into swapping to the engineering one at one point), my understanding from when I was there was that it is a fairly intensive course - I think at the time I was there they had pretty much solid lectures all morning and then lab work in the afternoons, every day (except Wednesday afternoons which are free for all students in the uni normally to do extracurricular things and study). They do also have to cover a fair volume of material in the course to prepare for the degrees that continue from that, as the Southampton engineering courses have relatively high entry criteria for direct entry students and the purpose of the foundation year is to try and make sure foundation students are on the same footing as those who applied to direct entry (who probably mostly got As and A*s in science and maths subjects at A-level).

Of course it's certainly doable in principle, but you will probably need to be quite disciplined in your studies because it is a relatively intensive one year course (albeit not a standalone course but in some respects it helps to think of it separately to the main degree).
Reply 7
Original post by userinuniversity
Hi! Yes the foundation is hard, and I was surprised I had to do it just because i come from Turkey (I was way above the entry requirements). The exams are hard but you have a lot of time to go over the subjects etc. It being online was also harder but certainly doable. You need 60% from maths, 45 from the rest of the subjects and 40% from coursework if i'm not mistaken. Coursework is very easy just I had very unfortunate events unfold at the most inconvenient times. If you take it seriously you should be fine!

Thanks for letting me know, hopefully I don't screw the maths paper up... Is the maths part really really different from A-Level maths? I'd have a slight advantage if not since I've already done the subject I guess... And since it seems quite difficult, is it true that a lot of people just fail and never make it on to their course?
Reply 8
Original post by artful_lounger
Although I didn't do the engineering foundation year (I did the science foundation year, but looked into swapping to the engineering one at one point), my understanding from when I was there was that it is a fairly intensive course - I think at the time I was there they had pretty much solid lectures all morning and then lab work in the afternoons, every day (except Wednesday afternoons which are free for all students in the uni normally to do extracurricular things and study). They do also have to cover a fair volume of material in the course to prepare for the degrees that continue from that, as the Southampton engineering courses have relatively high entry criteria for direct entry students and the purpose of the foundation year is to try and make sure foundation students are on the same footing as those who applied to direct entry (who probably mostly got As and A*s in science and maths subjects at A-level).

Of course it's certainly doable in principle, but you will probably need to be quite disciplined in your studies because it is a relatively intensive one year course (albeit not a standalone course but in some respects it helps to think of it separately to the main degree).

Well that's quite an intense schedule haha I hope there's time left to study the content that's being thrown at me... I don't have any experience with labs so I'm a bit nervous about that. By every day do you mean including weekends? I'd hope to use those days to either study or just see my family occasionally since I'll be far from home... I really hope I don't fail this I'm really quite afraid but I guess I just have to pray for things to go well
Original post by Kml02
Well that's quite an intense schedule haha I hope there's time left to study the content that's being thrown at me... I don't have any experience with labs so I'm a bit nervous about that. By every day do you mean including weekends? I'd hope to use those days to either study or just see my family occasionally since I'll be far from home... I really hope I don't fail this I'm really quite afraid but I guess I just have to pray for things to go well

No sorry I meant weekdays - the only UK uni I know of which has teaching on weekends regularly is Cambridge (and only for a few courses and only on Saturday morning!)
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 10
No sorry I meant weekdays - the only UK uni I know of which has teaching on weekends regularly is Cambridge (and only for a few courses and only on Saturday morning!)

Oh thank you at least that is a little bit of a relief haha I could use that to fit in as much study as I physically can and at least go home once I month I hope... I saw online on their website that there is an electronics section and heard that it's quite hard; did you cover that when you did it? May I ask what kind of things they were actually teaching under that part?
Original post by Kml02
Oh thank you at least that is a little bit of a relief haha I could use that to fit in as much study as I physically can and at least go home once I month I hope... I saw online on their website that there is an electronics section and heard that it's quite hard; did you cover that when you did it? May I ask what kind of things they were actually teaching under that part?

As before I didn't do the engineering foundation year, I did the science Foundation year :redface:

That said I do recall seeing some of their worksheets at one point when we were using one of the engineering foundation year students' rooms, I think it's largely the electricity and magnetism and electronics topics from A-level physics, but unlike A-level they do it in a calculus based way.
Reply 12
As before I didn't do the engineering foundation year, I did the science Foundation year :redface:

That said I do recall seeing some of their worksheets at one point when we were using one of the engineering foundation year students' rooms, I think it's largely the electricity and magnetism and electronics topics from A-level physics, but unlike A-level they do it in a calculus based way.

Wow that's terrifying hahahaha calculus-based electricity and magnetism..... I'm doing all of this to proceed on to the computer science course so it feels crazy to be studying those things haha I guess computer architecture would involve some of that maybe...... Thank you for the help though, I should consider starting to study now maybe and pray I actually make it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending