The Student Room Group

I can't land any internships/entry-level jobs

I'm struggling to break into the marketing industry. I have a relevant degree, but got stuck working in a retail management job for much longer than I intended to and then got made redundant because of the pandemic.

I cannot seem to land any internships or entry-level jobs no matter how hard I try; I can barely even get an interview. I've got friends my age who have done marketing internships at TikTok, Disney, Nestle and have great jobs. All of my friends have achieved so much in their respective industries already and I'm lagging behind... It's so disheartening, I feel like such a failure that I haven't started a career and I don't feel like I'm good enough to even work in the marketing industry anymore. I don't even feel like I'd be good enough to land another retail management role and I'm starting to worry I'll be stuck working as a supermarket assistant or something which there's nothing wrong with, but it's not what I want to do.

What can I do to improve my chances? And how do I get over feeling like i'm not good enough/ a failure?
(edited 2 years ago)
Hi

I am in exactly the same position as you

I understand its hard and difficult and what Ive read it seems you are trying really hard in getting a marketing job.

Just keep working hard. I don't know whether you need a portfolio within your chosen industry but keep improving your work...create new projects and find ways of how you can improve even more with your work.

We are also in a pandemic so maybe some companies are hiring less people.

Hope this helps
Good luck!
I'm in same boat too
Same situation
me to same situation
Original post by achieve526kk
me to same situation

I've applied to 45,000 places. still nothing
Original post by Proxenus
I've applied to 45,000 places. still nothing

yep thats me complete failure
Original post by MissRita07
I'm mid 20s and struggling to break into the marketing industry. I have a relevant degree, but got stuck working in a retail management job for much longer than I intended to and then got made redundant because of the pandemic.

I cannot seem to land any internships or entry-level jobs no matter how hard I try; I can barely even get an interview. I've got friends my age who have done marketing internships at TikTok, Disney, Nestle and have great jobs. All of my friends have achieved so much in their respective industries already and I'm lagging behind... It's so disheartening, I feel like such a failure that I haven't started a career and I don't feel like I'm good enough to even work in the marketing industry anymore. I don't even feel like I'd be good enough to land another retail management role and I'm starting to worry I'll be stuck working as a supermarket assistant or something which there's nothing wrong with, but it's not what I want to do.

What can I do to improve my chances? And how do I get over feeling like i'm not good enough/ a failure?

Hi @MissRita07,

I am sorry to hear you are struggling to get into the marketing industry. I am a final year marketing management student at Lancaster University and throughout my time here I have been recommended additional things to do to boost CVs and experience in general. Have you tried the Google Digital Garage marketing courses or any courses on LinkedIn for example?

If it is digital marketing / social media marketing you are interested in then why not find a local business and ask if you can try to improve their digital presence? This could be great experience and you could use this to evidence your skills, proactivity and interest in marketing!

Lancaster University have a podcast called 'Get that grad job' where you might also find some helpful careers tips :smile:.

Just some ideas, and some of them you might have already done. I know how hard the industry can be so I am wishing you all the best.

Best wishes,

Rebecca (Final Year BSc Hons Marketing Management Student)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending