The Student Room Group

Political Correctness Gone Too Far?

I've just read an article on the BBC website about a Playstation game called 'LittleBigPlanet' being recalled and delayed due to a song which has the same lyrics as two of the phrases from the Koran (the Muslim holy book).

Then a thought hit me, hasn't this gone a bit too far? The game has had a worldwide recall and then has to be fixed before being sent back out to the shops. In my opinion, you see so many people saying sorry for this that may have caused offence and people not doing this as it may cause offence, and I'm not being racist, by all means I'm just arguing the other side of the fence - but it seems that political correctness sides with the minority groups in Britain, Muslims, African-Americans etc (from what I've seen at least) seem to get special treatment due to the possibility that they may offence.

I just think that people need to lighten up a bit, Sony obviously meant no offence by having a song with Koran phrases in it, and the chances are its a coincidence anyway. The amount of films, books, songs and games out there that insult/take the mick out of the West, white people and Christianity numbers in there thousands. Suppose I just think its time that people got over themselves, I don't endorse racism in any shape or form, but something which clearly means no harm shouldn't suffer because some extremist believes it means offence.

Thoughts?

(Lets play a game of devils advocate.)

Scroll to see replies

World wide recall - 7 copies :rolleyes:

It's in division 3 of games. To be honest i dont think many gamers could care less whether a game insults Allah, Jesus or Peter Griffin - As long as the contents good we'll have it. In this case it's not so no one cares! :smile:

Seriously though - Muslim gamers must make up about 0.002% of gamers world wide. Who cares if a few lines of the Koran are in a video game! :confused:
I don't think it's anything about being PC here.

I think its just a business move to ensure no crowd is alienated, widening their market as much as possible.

Further to this, no-one has actually protested about it. It was Sony's decision, without any outer persuasion, to take it off the shelves. Muslims probably no full well there's no offence intende, especially seeing as the song was one written by a Muslim INSPIRED by the Koran. So, don't go blaming minorities for its recall.
Reply 3
This is definitely PC gone bad. Why is the Mac version of this game being released a month later? This country's going to the dogs.
ffs like people would've noticed... :rolleyes: but someone did i guess...

i agree with allieRAWR though, not much to do with PC here....more like sensitive times, sensitive measures
Reply 5
How many Muslims do you think would have read a minor comic in a Danish newspaper [that was never actually published]?

Some Muslims just live in a victim culture and I guarantee if nothing had been done they'd have started complaining about it.

Couldn't agree more that it's OTT, silly, etc etc... But Sony are just doing what they think makes business sense.
Reply 6
Amy_J
This is definitely PC gone bad. Why is the Mac version of this game being released a month later? This country's going to the dogs.

Worldwide Delay.

It's pathetic but I wasn't going to buy it anyway, so I don't really care. :nah:

:biggrin:
Reply 7
Yay, another let's bash the muslims thread!

Let's just remember folks that not all 1 bn muslims asked for this to happen, most muslims probably don't give a ****. But yeah, the media will warp the hell out of this story, just you see.

Why didn't anyone make a "PC GONE MAD O NOEZ" thread when the CofE was having a go about Manchester cathedral being used in a game? And this was an official complaint from the actual church, not just one beta tester ffs. I'll tell you why, cause it's fashionable to bash muslims.

http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/news/news.phtml/8253/9277/sony-apologise-manchester-cathedral-story.phtml

This has **** all to do with "PC" and everything to do with the fact that people's attitudes have gone to the ****.
Reply 8

Seriously though - Muslim gamers must make up about 0.002% of gamers world wide. Who cares if a few lines of the Koran are in a video game!

I'm pretty sure they make much more of the gamers worldwide. Muslim is the second biggest religion!
Anwyays I'm not bothered if the game had the two verses from the Quran (and Im a muslim) but they probably recalled all the copies so they made sure they didnt offend anyone atall or else ift could create barriers when trying to get into wider markets.
Computer games are set in churches and cathedrals all the time... I'm pretty sure if one featured a mosque there'd be an uproar.
Reply 10
For a start, the media hype up all cases of PC because they make for good reading, so much is over-exaggerated and the Daily Mail are only printing today because of PC with their heart-warming blend of racism. :rolleyes:

Concerning the Muslim community, people need to realise the importance of the Middle-East and even Indonesia and India in today's business world, countries with a significant population of Muslims which are heavily involved in business.

Should Muslims in Britain become offended and openly show their anger towards Sony for example, they will inevitably face some difficulties in future business and it's just good business sense not to offend as far as possible.
EssexDan86
Computer games are set in churches and cathedrals all the time... I'm pretty sure if one featured a mosque there'd be an uproar.

Yeah, and there was an uproar when they were set in a church. Read my post.
If religions in general want to be 'integrated' into society then we'll damn well put part of their religion in a game when we damn well want to! Yeah! That's right! :hmmm:
Reply 13
Personally, I'm thinking publicity stunt. This game has the potential to be MASSIVE, they're gonna want as many people to know about it as possible. So they kick up a giant fuss so that the world knows this game exists.
generally PC has gone too far. yes, it is going too far. also same about the situation clarkson brought up about a bill board outside a mosque taken down because of 2 ppl complaining, whereas 200 complaints for other things don't have any effect. theres always ppl who complain. if its valid then can be implemented
Reply 15
Amy_J

Yes, because this decision, as well as every other action driven by political correctness, originated in the UK. *Sarcasm intended* :rolleyes:
Reply 16
I think we should have more political correctness, just because it seems to annoy every type of person that I tend not to get on with.
Reply 17
Personally, I'm thinking publicity stunt. This game has the potential to be MASSIVE, they're gonna want as many people to know about it as possible. So they kick up a giant fuss so that the world knows this game exists.

never thought of that from that angle - good point :smile:
jabed786
I'm pretty sure they make much more of the gamers worldwide. Muslim is the second biggest religion!
Anwyays I'm not bothered if the game had the two verses from the Quran (and Im a muslim) but they probably recalled all the copies so they made sure they didnt offend anyone atall or else ift could create barriers when trying to get into wider markets.

A lot of muslim countries frown upon gaming like they frown upon alcohol. In my 7 years of playing games i've never met a muslim, seen a muslim gamer, of even heard mention of. Games are primarily played in Europe, America and Far Asia, christians make up the biggest chunk of religous gamers, then i'd say jews and hindus.
Reply 19
Yeah even as a Muslim I think this is a bit extreme.

Latest

Trending

Trending