The Student Room Group

Is postgrad uni or undergrad uni more important?

If i went to non russel group for my undergrad but then got into cambridge for my post grad would i still look favourable in an employers eyes? As opposed to someone who only completed undergrad at oxbridge?
Original post by CANUFEELMYHEART
If i went to non russel group for my undergrad but then got into cambridge for my post grad would i still look favourable in an employers eyes? As opposed to someone who only completed undergrad at oxbridge?

Employers aren't going to give a damn for most industries. What matters is your professional experience through doing placements/internships etc.
Original post by Blue_Cow
Employers aren't going to give a damn for most industries. What matters is your professional experience through doing placements/internships etc.

i heard that for law universities are important tho
i heard that for law universities are important tho

They will look at your undergraduate uni, and the grade achieved.

It shows academic progression, which some employers will value.
Reply 5
Depends on your circumstances/ career. I’m in secondary education so there’s a bit of snobbery, especially if, like me, you’re a non native teacher of English. I did my undergraduate abroad, had my qualifications recognised by dept of education, but some employers were still suspicious regarding my academic credentials. Postgrad at Oxford shut them up.

This said, I have 12 years of relevant professional experience, great track records of performance management/ observation etc - just needed to show that an immigrant could teach English in prestigious schools, not just crappy ones. My MSc is fascinating as well and I’m already thinking of EdD. Having Oxford on my CV will allow me to do a research degree at any uni I want as well. Bath/Warwick/Bristol/ Open University have amazing EdD courses and I don’t have to worry about them being prestigious enough as I no longer have anything to prove.

My advice would be: ‘go for it.’ Maybe some employers won’t care, but you will. If you feel that you’re not good enough, it will affect how people perceive you and treat you. It’s hard to stand up for yourself at work if you don’t consider yourself an expert, and sometimes only a postgrad will help with that. Won’t work in all professions, but will work miracles in some. It’s for you to decide :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 6
I went to an RG at undergrad, now at Cam for postgrad. I have heard that it does boost your application in industry. Is an employer really going to prefer someone with less education just because their undergrad is from a better uni? I doubt it. RG undergrad + Cam postgrad is going to be better for most employers I think.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending