The Student Room Group

Bad a level grades and future

I was predicted AAC and i ended up some how getting BDE , i have no clue how this happened. I got rejected by my firm and insurance. I spent yesterday crying my eyes out and had no clue what to do.I was aiming to do Accounting and management at Bristol but i obviously got denied. All my mates are partying with their high grades and im just depressed.I applied for stage 1 appeal but my request was denied and now im going over stage 2 but i still have no hope.I highly doubt the intendent assessors are going to give me a's or my normal levels , I dont understand have i went down a total of 8 grades within in the span of 4 months.
My dream was to do investment banking but with these grades i have no chance , the only thing that is going for me is my private internship at an asset management firm in a couple of weeks.
I somehow this morning got into a top 8 London uni by speaking to the head of business and convincing them on how i got shafted. I know i should be grateful but I had way higher protentional than this.
I have no idea on what to do next , my only hope is doing good next year and transferring to a top uni
-Im mentally drained to retake my a levels again , these past two years have been the worst years of my life

I just wanted to speak my feelings out.If anybody has any advice ill be happy to hear it
Original post by jackiejan
I was predicted AAC and i ended up some how getting BDE , i have no clue how this happened. I got rejected by my firm and insurance. I spent yesterday crying my eyes out and had no clue what to do.I was aiming to do Accounting and management at Bristol but i obviously got denied. All my mates are partying with their high grades and im just depressed.I applied for stage 1 appeal but my request was denied and now im going over stage 2 but i still have no hope.I highly doubt the intendent assessors are going to give me a's or my normal levels , I dont understand have i went down a total of 8 grades within in the span of 4 months.
My dream was to do investment banking but with these grades i have no chance , the only thing that is going for me is my private internship at an asset management firm in a couple of weeks.
I somehow this morning got into a top 8 London uni by speaking to the head of business and convincing them on how i got shafted. I know i should be grateful but I had way higher protentional than this.
I have no idea on what to do next , my only hope is doing good next year and transferring to a top uni
-Im mentally drained to retake my a levels again , these past two years have been the worst years of my life

I just wanted to speak my feelings out.If anybody has any advice ill be happy to hear it

Ok - so I know things seem bad right now, but lets take a step back and look at the bigger picture.

Realistically, your A levels are not going to define you for the rest of your life. It's really well documented that there have been issues this year and universities and employers are going to understand that.

You've also done incredibly well despite those grades to plead your case and get a top 8 place. You are going to university this year, to study what you want. There is absolutely no reason why you might not actually really enjoy being at this uni. It isn't your top choice but it will still be a big change for your and a great opportunity - and going into it with a positive mindset will help you to make the most of it.

Absolutely nothing about this situation means you can't do whatever you want in life, but equally, you're very young and don't have a great deal of experience, so your preferences might change in the future. Don't pigeonhole yourself into one career or pathway - you might actually find you have other opportunities that are also interesting and exciting.
Reply 2
1)These were my ucas predicted grades
3)Are you saying that its highly unlikely that ill be able to transfer second year because of my low grades?
Reply 3
Original post by Charlotte's Web
Ok - so I know things seem bad right now, but lets take a step back and look at the bigger picture.

Realistically, your A levels are not going to define you for the rest of your life. It's really well documented that there have been issues this year and universities and employers are going to understand that.

You've also done incredibly well despite those grades to plead your case and get a top 8 place. You are going to university this year, to study what you want. There is absolutely no reason why you might not actually really enjoy being at this uni. It isn't your top choice but it will still be a big change for your and a great opportunity - and going into it with a positive mindset will help you to make the most of it.

Absolutely nothing about this situation means you can't do whatever you want in life, but equally, you're very young and don't have a great deal of experience, so your preferences might change in the future. Don't pigeonhole yourself into one career or pathway - you might actually find you have other opportunities that are also interesting and exciting.

Its just so hard to look at the bigger picture when your surrounded by friends who have all achieved such high grades , along with the fact that this years grades were supposed to be the highest ever.I just feel like i got the short end of the stick.
Its just so hard to look at the bigger picture when your surrounded by friends who have all achieved such high grades , along with the fact that this years grades were supposed to be the highest ever.I just feel like i got the short end of the stick.

You probably have, and that will feel hard now which is absolutely fine, you have every right to feel upset/annoyed/frustrated. My A level results were nowhere near as good as I'd hoped, or as good as my friends' results and you do naturally compare yourself against others, even though you absolutely shouldn't. Take a bit of time, get your feelings out and once you've had time to process, you will be able to take that step back and see the bigger picture. There is absolutely no reason why a few letters on a piece of paper would mean you can't have a really successful and fulfilling career.

Look at this thread - there are literally hundreds of people who didn't get the place or grades they wanted, and things do work out well in the end: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7068182

Comparing yourself to others around you WILL have a negative impact on the way you approach your life. Whilst it is good to want to do better, you do have your own personal strengths and weaknesses, and your value as a human being is not determined by your grades.

However, if you are unhappy and want something to do about it, look into realistic options. What is it that YOU want to do in your life academically.

Is resiting or retaking an A level a possibility in the future?

If not, are there courses related to the area of study that you want to go into?

Have you considered a foundation year ( many university's offer these) in your subject choice, or perhaps a Access to Higher education course?

Is there a university you really want to get into but narrowly missed out... and is this a positive motivator for picking yourself up and dusting yourself up, and going back to study ?

Remember that although got a B ( fantastic btw, this shows you do have it in you to do well academically), a D and an E they are UCAS points available to you, and you CAN change them if you find it within yourself to believe that you can, or utilize them and use this time wisely to look into the options available to you.

Also think about what are the priorities that YOU personally have in your life. Do you have financial factors to think about? Physical or mental wellbeing? These are factors that can have a knock on effect on your life and ability to be productive. Is it worth taking some time out for yourself to access support, look into taking a gap year etc?

There are more options than you believe there are.

And you are doing better than you mind allows you to believe.

Hope this helps

Hi,

I'm so sorry to hear that! It's understandable that you would be feeling down. My advice is to just take some time to process everything, I would imagine that the last few days have been an emotional rollercoaster. The second piece of advice I would give would be to definitely move forward with the uni you've gotten into and your internship (which sounds awesome - congrats on landing that!). And yes, you could always transfer in second year. Work hard, and don't let this setback keep you down. Literally everyone has a story, everyone experiences setbacks in life, some worse than others. But being able to overcome them is what is important. In this moment, when you're feeling low, your character is being refined and who knows, you may be better off for it. Doesn't an arrow get pulled back before it shoots forward? Where you are today does not signify where you will be tomorrow, and I can tell that you're very driven so with that combination - who knows what will happen? You can do this. Don't dwell too much or too long on what was lost, but rather look to what you can do to achieve your dream of working in investment banking. I really wish you all the best, and I hope this helps!

Samantha, Official UoP Rep
The disappointment is going to suck for a while. But then you'll go to University (top 8 is great!), make friends, get into the course, and ultimately, get your degree. Trust me, no employer is gonna care about your A level results if you've got that degree certificate.
Reply 8
Original post by amaranthium
The disappointment is going to suck for a while. But then you'll go to University (top 8 is great!), make friends, get into the course, and ultimately, get your degree. Trust me, no employer is gonna care about your A level results if you've got that degree certificate.

Thank you !

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending