The Student Room Group

I need urgent help with my A level choices :(( (maths, biology, geography atm)

hey,
I've been thinking to switch my geography A level for physics or chemistry as even though I enjoy geography it won't open many doors or high paying jobs. I really like biology, doing maths to keep my options open.

I don't enjoy chemistry but would it be a good idea to pair it with my bio A level?

I have some intrest in Physics and I'm good at it but its a worse pairing with bio....

What should I do? Is sticking with geography really a bad idea?

I don't really know what I want to do, i'm more into biology than medicine but i know chemistry is a hard course so I don't know if its worth doing when I'm probably not going to do a medicine umi course...

thanks
(starting a levels next month...)
(edited 2 years ago)
Do you have an idea of what you would like to do at uni or in the future because this may help your decision a lot
what do you want to do in the future?

There isn't any point in forcing your way through an A-Level just for a high-paying job (which you may actually never get :dontknow:)

I don't think sticking with geography is a bad idea but all depends on your answer to the first question
Original post by j_zenka
hey,
I've been thinking to switch my geography A level for physics or chemistry as even though I enjoy geography it won't open many doors or high paying jobs. I really like biology, doing maths to keep my options open.

I don't enjoy chemistry but would it be a good idea to pair it with my bio A level?

I have some intrest in Physics and I'm good at it but its a worse pairing with bio....

What should I do? Is sticking with geography really a bad idea?

thanks
(starting a levels next month...)

Put some combinations in here: https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/a-level-explorer

Are you sure there are places to allow you to change?
Reply 4
Original post by katran1220
Do you have an idea of what you would like to do at uni or in the future because this may help your decision a lot

not really man, probably something plant related or something like engineering new crop variations. something really biology related
Reply 5
Original post by Muttley79
Put some combinations in here: https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/a-level-explorer

Are you sure there are places to allow you to change?

there's definitely places for physics at least...
ive tried that website and it didnt help too much unfortunately
Reply 6
Original post by katran1220

I want to do something biology related like crop engineering, maybe researching humans or animals (organisms in general and how they work), or something plant related
A levels To get on to a biology-related degree, you will usually require at least two A levels, including biology and preferably chemistry. Entry requirements range from CCC to AAA, with the universities and colleges most commonly asking for BBB. You will also need five GCSEs (A C) including science, English, and maths.

From UCAS on biological sciences - https://www.ucas.com/explore/subjects/biological-sciences - It only says chemistry is prefered however it doesn't mean you have to take it - check the unis you are considering

Original post by j_zenka
I want to do something biology related like crop engineering, maybe researching humans or animals (organisms in general and how they work), or something plant related
Original post by j_zenka

By the sounds of it if you like it geography would be a good one to study it would definitely be relevant to what you’re interested in studying in the future
Original post by j_zenka
there's definitely places for physics at least...
ive tried that website and it didnt help too much unfortunately

Do subjects you enjoy ... geography and biology 'fit' your degree ideas.
I was in the exact same situation as you last year, I’d applied for Maths, Biology and Geography, but was having doubts about Geography. I switched for Chemistry and I’m so glad I did. Chemistry compliments Biology really well and makes a lot of aspects of Biology easier to understand. It opens more doors too. It’s your decision at the end of the day, but as someone who’s been in the same situation as you, I really recommend switching Geography for Chemistry.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest