The Student Room Group

A level target grades

I got seven grade 9s, one grade 8 and one grade 7 at gcse. Can anyone tell me if my a level target grades will be A’s or A*s? I want to go to oxbridge and I’m worried that my grade 7 will mean that my target grades at a level won’t be A*s (I need at least 1 A* for the course/college I want to go to), even though I got a 9 in all of the subjects I will study at a level. Thanks for any replies x
It all depends on the work you put through for your A levels.

And oxbridge haven't specified the entry requirements for GCSE's. I doubt the 7 would be seen as negative. I know a student who got average 4 C's 2 A's and 3B's at GCSE's but, did a lot of volunteering and made his personal statement flawless.

So don't worry.
(edited 2 years ago)
Moving past the absurdity of most of this post, I would point out that your "target grades" will not be your predicted grades and your predicted grades will depend on your performance in your A-level subjects. So your GCSEs may well not even factor into that.
Original post by Anonymous
I got seven grade 9s, one grade 8 and one grade 7 at gcse. Can anyone tell me if my a level target grades will be A’s or A*s? I want to go to oxbridge and I’m worried that my grade 7 will mean that my target grades at a level won’t be A*s (I need at least 1 A* for the course/college I want to go to), even though I got a 9 in all of the subjects I will study at a level. Thanks for any replies x

Target grades and predictions are two completely different things. Your predictions will be based on your work in Year 12 not your GCSEs. You do need to check you have enough 8/9s for the degree you are interested in.
Why would one grade 7 mess up your A Levels? It obviously won’t? People get only As and Bs at GCSE and can come out of A Level with 3 A*s.

Your target grades at A Level will be set by you and/or your teacher and then your predicted grades will be set after a year of education when the teachers actually know your ability level. And lots of courses at Oxford only ask for AAA, so don’t worry about it anyway.

Sorry I seem frustrated, but of COURSE one grade that’s not the best possible won’t ruin your life! I know people with Bs here at Oxford because of the COVID situation. Some Cs. One of my classmates has about two As at GCSE and a string of mostly Cs, he even failed some of the exams. It’s honestly not that big a deal - don’t let this website convince you that anything below a 9 or an A* is bad, because it’s so unrealistic. The students I’ve met at Oxford prove that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending