The Student Room Group

8013's Pursuit to a First at the most stressful uni in HK (Year 1)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I did work for four modules again yesterday.
Between my sports skills class and my lecture, I used the hour in between to complete a comp1021 past midterm exam, and got 91.5%, which is a really good score. I also analysed the two mistakes I made in very great detail so that I won't get those mistakes again.
I then used another hour to revise MECH1906 after lunch and before my LANG1113P project meeting. After the meeting I edited the script as soon as I got home, and rounded off the day with some practice for MATH1014. I worked for a total of six hours yesterday outside classes.
I am storming through the past exam questions for math1014 and comp1021 so far, which makes me competent enough for the midterm. This is worth the countless nights of practice until as late as midnight!
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 41
Three midterms down, one to go.

MATH1014: I screwed up the long questions but did really well on multiple choice. I think I will get into the 50s (out of 70).

COMP1021: Bombed one question but the rest were fine. Ended up with 92%.
Reply 42
Original post by 8013
AHHHHHH!
MIDTERM INCOMING!
My mech3110 midterm is on Monday, but I have prepared well. Just same as the IAL GYG, if I failed the midterm, the following will be the result of Manchester United vs Liverpool to be played on 22/10/2021:
IMG_20211015_150905.jpg
But if I get at least 1 SD above mean, this will be the result:
IMG_20211015_150840.jpg
I am sure that losing 4-0 to a fierce rival really hurts, and beating them 4-0 on their own turf is truly amazing, so this really motivates me!

I mean considering Liverpool's result at Old Trafford I should have completely smashed the midterm!
Reply 43
The midterm results were all above the mean.
I got 83% for 3110 (mean is 78%), 81% for 1906 (mean is 77%), 74% for 1014 (mean is 48%) and 92% for 1021 (mean is 72%).

However, a bad run of form came in November, which caused me getting below mean in three assignments, one weighed 12% for 1021. I finally passed the mean again for 1906 assignment 3 by 2%, so this may be the turning point for me as I push for the final exams in December! I have finals only in 1014, 1021 and 1906, while I am working on my essay for 1113 and my report for 3110. I need to score high on my 1113 essay, as I bombed the discussion today!

As always, if I got below mean in any of the final exams, these will be Liverpool’s results over the Christmas period:
Tottenham 4-0 Liverpool
Liverpool 1-2 Leeds United
Leicester City 3-1 Liverpool
Chelsea 4-0 Liverpool

But if I get all of them at least 1 SD above mean, the results are as follows:
Tottenham 0-5 Liverpool
Liverpool 5-0 Leeds United
Leicester City 0-4 Liverpool
Chelsea 1-3 Liverpool
One thing that always boggled me is why UST is so chur and open about calculating grades with means and SDs, that just fosters really unhealthy competition between classmates who should be working together to achieve the grades they want >_>

I get it's a lot more objective than a tutor giving out letter grades, but still. Jeez.
Reply 45
Original post by That Seagull
One thing that always boggled me is why UST is so chur and open about calculating grades with means and SDs, that just fosters really unhealthy competition between classmates who should be working together to achieve the grades they want >_>

I get it's a lot more objective than a tutor giving out letter grades, but still. Jeez.

I have done practice on math1014 past midnight for 3 of the last 4 days. This is how chur it is.
Reply 46
For two of the past three days, I did work for three modules each, which is really good!
On Tuesday, I first wrote half of the code for my last COMP1021 hand in lab, I cannot bomb it again! Then I got started on my LANG1113P essay, and finally added one paragraph to my MECH3110 report.
Yesterday, I did some practice on Taylor Series for MATH1014, followed by adding 500 characters to my LANG1113P essay.
I started off today by finishing off my COMP1021 hand in lab, then completed an assignment for MATH1014, and got started on the assignment for MECH1906.
Reply 47
Hi Guys,

Hope you are well!

Maybe it will help someone - I found this yt channel with study and focus music and it helps me to distract from social media. I feel like when it is quiet in my room i got distracted easily so I found out when i have music on I am more focus on study

https://youtu.be/uaCoS7mfJfc

https://youtu.be/91kvCzlNCuc

https://youtu.be/Ftr8wVwxDfg

https://youtu.be/C8INCZpbQuM

Many thanks
Aga
Reply 48
FINAL EXAMS TOMORROW!
The only things I did over the past two days after submitting my 3110 report are 1014 and 1021 exercises and past papers. I even did some of the very hard ones for 1014, going out in full force for the 1014 final tomorrow!
If I am below mean in 1014, the following will be the result of Leicester vs Liverpool, to be played on 29th December:
IMG_20211206_185443.jpg
But if I am significantly above the mean, the following will be the result:
IMG_20211206_185526.jpg
Reply 49
It seems that the wheels kept falling off since the midterms. I barely crossed the mean in the final exam of a module I did so well in the midterm.
I am in halls in the next semester, and I need to do well to keep my scholarship going.
Reply 50
I think I am getting a low 2:1, or even a 2:2, in my first semester. My academic performance dropped off since the middle of the semester as I had a piano exam back then, and had missed tons of things. I was just relying on the notes and handouts given by professors instead, just to make work look easier.
It seems that the few updates here show that my dedication has been reduced. I am now reverting back to daily updates, doing work on at least four modules per day to pull back up to a first!
Reply 51
I am now enjoying a break until Christmas, then begin my pre study on math2011 introduction to multivariable calculus, which I am taking next semester. The Leonard videos is my tool.

There will be the same for two other modules, with old class notes from seniors.
Reply 52
I haven't decided on my 5th module for the next semester. I am now putting phys1003 into that slot but it is subject to change.
2 fellow CCC (Campus Crusade for Christ) members may also influence my decision. In case these 2 members got into math2111/mech2520, I will take that module instead, especially for mech2520 which has a group project (as the 3 of us will all be able to work together), so we can achieve a good grade together.
Reply 53
2021-22 Spring (tentative)
What modules will I be taking?

MATH2011 Introduction to Multivariable calculus
COMP2011 Programming with C++
LANG2030H Technical Communication 1 - Honours
MATH2411 Applied Statistics
PHYS1003 Energy and related environmental issues

For the winter break, lasting for 40+ days, I will be doing preparations for both 2011s and 2411. I will have a speed run on the materials for all 3 modules which makes me easier to understand the content when I take them.
In addition, I know that MATH2011 has a harder version, MATH2023. I have also downloaded some exercises and past papers from MATH2023 as challenge problems. I am hoping to get to the level of MATH2023 by myself despite I am only taking 2011, so 2011 will look like a piece of cake for me and I will get a top grade, pushing me closer to that first!
Reply 54
A roadblock came on this pursuit, as the first grade I received is:
C+.
I messed up that final exam so badly and submitted late which caused a 20 mark deduction. I am getting Bs and B+s for the others, as I scored extra credit on mech3110 and scored an extra mark for no reason in math1014 (thanks God!).

But there's still 7 more semesters to catch up!

The struggles I'm facing
The chances I'm taking
Sometimes might knock me down, but
No, I'm not breaking
I may not know it
But these are the moments, that
I'm gonna remember most, yeah
Just gotta keep going
And I, I gotta be strong
Just keep pushing on, 'cause
There's always gonna be another mountain
I'm always gonna wanna make it move
Always gonna be an uphill battle
Sometimes I'm gonna have to lose
Ain't about how fast I get there
Ain't about what's waiting on the other side
It's the climb
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 55
I have now announced that I will be starting a speed run of not just 1, but 3 modules for the next semester!
Then I can understand much better and go for harder questions. I am now pushing myself to the limits, the comeback is on!

After a season of night falls and push backs
After the heartache of wrong turns and sidetracks
Just when they think they've got you game set match
Here comes the comeback
Just cause you lay low got up slow unsteady
Don't mean you blacked out or bought out you're ready
Just when they think there's nothing left running on empty
Here comes the comeback
This is your time your moment
The fire the fight your golden
You've come so far keep going
Oh here comes the comeback
You feel the lightning the thunder you're soul shakes
Under the roar of the heaven the tide breaks
And from the ashes you will take your place
Here comes the comeback
The fire the fight you're golden
There is no mountain you can't face
There is no giant you can't take
All of your tears were not a waste
Your one step away
Just when they think they've got you game set match
The fire the fight or golden
Your comeback
Your comeback
Oh oh
Your comeback
Your comeback
Oh oh oh
Here comes the comeback
Reply 56
28-29/12/2021
I have made head starts for two modules! 2411 seemed to be easy for me, but the npr/ncr seems tough! I will be doing more practice for that. I have also completed my first exam style question for 2411, and will do more of these!
And for math2011, I have started with the Leonard 11.5 vid. I will watch 11.6 tomorrow, and do some more practice on the topics on 11.5 and 11.6.
Reply 57
30/12/2021
I watched the Leonard 11.6 video and continued my accuracy of >90% in the math2011 exercise questions I did after the video. It seems that Leonard is just as good as most people say! I watched those videos according to the spring 2018 syllabus, as I am going to be taught by the same professor as the spring 2018 class.
I also started on a third module, comp2011, by going through lesson 1 of Codecademy's C++ course.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 58
My GPA for the first semester is 2.72, translating to an average of 58 under the UK scale. This means I need a B+ average in the next semester to keep my admission scholarship going!
Can't believe that it was the highest level course which I got the highest grade, and the lowest level courses that I got the lowest grades.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 59
Over the past two weeks, bar a 3 day break due to camp, I have progressed on the following:
MATH2011: Finished the entire chapter 12 with Leonard videos. I maintained high accuracy on exercise problems, even with the harder version (MATH2023).
MATH2411: Finished Probability, now into Discrete Random Variables.
COMP2011: Finished lessons 1-4 of the Codecademy course and notes 1-2 from last year.

The Bayern Munich goal song is being played once I get a problem correct. I have already played the song countless times in the past two weeks.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending