The Student Room Group

Should I change my direction of application?

I was planning to apply to Biotechnology but for some reason, I didn't take biology. I am not sure if this would affect my chances of being accepted. Plus, I noticed though some universities don't ask biology as an entry requirement their year 1 units for this subject are all bio-related; I'm afraid I cannot follow.

Or I can try to switch to Mathematics and Statistics or Accounting. I have math background so I guess I can at least handle my year 1 study.

I got A*A*A*A in A-level mathematic、further mathematic、chemistry and physics and I've participated in two biological research programs (honestly they made me less willing to engage with academic research). However, I have barely any understanding of the mathematic or accounting field.

I am not sure if it is wise to change my direction at this critical time, especially switch to an unfamiliar field. Any advice will be really useful for me.

Thanks!
Look at Foundation courses that are designed for people who took the 'wrong' A levels but want to do a STEM degree.
Examples - Southampton : https://www.southampton.ac.uk/courses/foundation-years/science.page and Nottingham : https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/life-sciences/study-with-us/sciencewithfoundationyear/index.aspx
Original post by show some mercy
I was planning to apply to Biotechnology but for some reason, I didn't take biology. I am not sure if this would affect my chances of being accepted. Plus, I noticed though some universities don't ask biology as an entry requirement their year 1 units for this subject are all bio-related; I'm afraid I cannot follow.

Or I can try to switch to Mathematics and Statistics or Accounting. I have math background so I guess I can at least handle my year 1 study.

I got A*A*A*A in A-level mathematic、further mathematic、chemistry and physics and I've participated in two biological research programs (honestly they made me less willing to engage with academic research). However, I have barely any understanding of the mathematic or accounting field.

I am not sure if it is wise to change my direction at this critical time, especially switch to an unfamiliar field. Any advice will be really useful for me.

Thanks!

If biology is not an entry requirement, then the course will have been designed for people without a-level biology to follow. I do not agree with the recommendation of the foundation program, it would be significantly cheaper and easier to do a distance a-level in biology if this is what you have decided.
If the entry requirements don't say you need bio then you should in theory be able to get in. Without the bio requirement the bio modules will also be very unlikely to assume too much prior knowledge, they should go over the basics you'll need to understand the rest of the course.

You have excellent grades too, you'll possibly just be able to self study some background bio knowledge to get you started before you go.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending