The Student Room Group

Do you need Further Math for Chemical or Mechanical Engineering

Hi, so I am currently doing four as-levels (Math, Further Math, Chemistry and Physics) and I need you lots advice if Further Math is a required subject to get into Imperial College London as I want to drop it due to the heavy workload and how time consuming it is. Should I drop FM and do extra curricular activities over the summer or should I keep FM and do no extra curricular actives in the summer? Which one is more beneficial into getting ICL?
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
Original post by SoLoBro_17
Hi, so I am currently doing four as-levels (Math, Further Math, Chemistry and Physics) and I need you lots advice if Further Math is a required subject to get into Imperial College London as I want to drop it due to the heavy workload and how time consuming it is. Should I drop FM and do extra curricular activities over the summer or should I keep FM and do no extra curricular actives in the summer? Which one is more beneficial into getting ICL?

FM is not a requirement. But I would recommend doing it if you wish to pursue engineering. It is the most relevant subject to an engineering degree. I suspect most Imp engineering enrollees will have studied FM (but this is just a guess). https://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/ug/courses/mechanical-engineering-department/mechanical-engineering-meng/#entry-requirements
no
Reply 4
You don’t need it but it is useful. It helps you in first year if you have Further Mathematics.
Original post by SoLoBro_17

No you don't need it for many Engineering degrees. [I teach Maths] Do well at your other three and you'll get into a good university :smile:
FM would be more useful, both in admissions and when you are on the degree, than essentially any other "extracurricular activity" you could do otherwise, at Imperial and pretty much any other engineering department in the UK I can think of. So it's not required but is probably a better use of your time than pretty much any alternative.
Original post by artful_lounger
FM would be more useful, both in admissions and when you are on the degree, than essentially any other "extracurricular activity" you could do otherwise, at Imperial and pretty much any other engineering department in the UK I can think of. So it's not required but is probably a better use of your time than pretty much any alternative.

I would have to second this for sure. Further Maths modules really do give you a good grounding in the differential equations sections and integration because the maths can get difficult when you progress, so having done the FM modules beforehand would certainly benefit you.

Quick Reply

Latest