The Student Room Group

Postgraduate in undergraduate accommodation

I applied for a room at a private student hall in London a while back, which accepted both undergraduates and postgraduates, specifying that I would prefer to be placed in a flat with other postgrads (I'm starting my first year of my PhD). After moving in, I found out I'm the only postgrad in the entire flat of 5; most people are in fact first years. I don't mind this personally, but I thought that maybe my age could be off-putting to the undergrads. Especially concerning first years, since this is your first time living completely independently, you might have preferred to share your living space with other people in the same shoes as you.

Were any of you in a similar situation and what did you think of it?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Cookiezi
I applied for a room at a private student hall in London a while back, which accepted both undergraduates and postgraduates, specifying that I would prefer to be placed in a flat with other postgrads (I'm starting my first year of my PhD). After moving in, I found out I'm the only postgrad in the entire flat of 5; most people are in fact first years. I don't mind this personally, but I thought that maybe my age could be off-putting to the undergrads. Especially concerning first years, since this is your first time living completely independently, you might have preferred to share your living space with other people in the same shoes as you.

Were any of you in a similar situation and what did you think of it?

This happened to me when I did my MA. Before I started, I could see that 3 other PGs had chosen rooms in the same flat, so I followed suit. Come moving-in day, I find out my flat was actually a complete mix (1 PGCE, 1 first year, 2 second years, and 2 third years), so 2 of the PGs must have changed their mind. I was unlucky in that some of my flatmates were messy, noisy, and did none of the chores like cleaning the kitchen or taking out the rubbish - this was more to do with them as people than their age/year though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending