The Student Room Group

Second year Mech Eng

Does anyone have any advice for second year ? How hard is it ?
Do you have to know first year really well to do well in second year ?

What study techniques do u use ?
What was your study schedule like in terms of wake up time and go to bed time and other things ?

First year was completely online and very very hard. Everyone pretty much is very smart.
Original post by 161BMW
Does anyone have any advice for second year ? How hard is it ?
Do you have to know first year really well to do well in second year ?

What study techniques do u use ?
What was your study schedule like in terms of wake up time and go to bed time and other things ?

First year was completely online and very very hard. Everyone pretty much is very smart.

Its a significant step up.
Yes you’ll be expected to keep your understanding of first year modules, but they won’t expect you to have perfect recall.

First year sets the scene with the basics, second year adds depth and starts to really build out a deep understanding of the core areas.

It will require more hours of work, but it’s not an unreasonable jump and can be managed with good personal admin. Things like bed times are very personal. I still found time to go out drinking & play sports every week but just made sure i did something productive every day (and used my spare time wisely, hung around with similarly motivated students...).
Reply 2
Original post by mnot
Its a significant step up.
Yes you’ll be expected to keep your understanding of first year modules, but they won’t expect you to have perfect recall.

First year sets the scene with the basics, second year adds depth and starts to really build out a deep understanding of the core areas.

It will require more hours of work, but it’s not an unreasonable jump and can be managed with good personal admin. Things like bed times are very personal. I still found time to go out drinking & play sports every week but just made sure i did something productive every day (and used my spare time wisely, hung around with similarly motivated students...).

Thanks. One of my worries is I seem to have forgotten quite a lot of first year over summer.

Somehow I passed all my modules no idea how. I got a 2:1 in first year. Everyone is very smart though on my course as you would expect as is ranked highly for Mech Eng.
Original post by 161BMW
Thanks. One of my worries is I seem to have forgotten quite a lot of first year over summer.

Somehow I passed all my modules no idea how. I got a 2:1 in first year. Everyone is very smart though on my course as you would expect as is ranked highly for Mech Eng.

It will probably come back to you once lectures get under away.

Quick Reply

Latest