The Student Room Group

Have you upgraded to Windows 11?

This poll is closed

Are you planning to upgrade to Windows 11?

Yes! 27%
Maybe 32%
No41%
Total votes: 56
Windows 11 was officially released yesterday - it has a new look and has had a fresh coat of paint :thumbsup:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-58795119

Are you planning to upgrade your operating system or not just yet? :banana: Why or why not? or are you planning to keep Windows 10 for a little while longer? :smile:

I'm planning to but I haven't done it just yet :nah:
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Not sure on the implications of all the software on my PC and is some of it is essential to my PhD, so ill probably hold off for a while.

Im sure ill eventually upgrade but were probably looking at 2023 before I bother.
No, Windows 10 works fine and it doesn't actually add anything new.
Original post by mnot
Not sure on the implications of all the software on my PC and is some of it is essential to my PhD, so ill probably hold off for a while.

Im sure ill eventually upgrade but were probably looking at 2023 before I bother.

Noice :smile: good idea
Reminds me i beed to check about my DSA software
I think the feature I'm most interested about is the android apps :yep:
Reply 4
I'm usually pretty keen to do this sorta stuff but I just don't really like the look of it, so will need to do a bit more digging re how far I can change things about (easily, because I'm not the 14 year old nerd with days to waste fannying about with this stuff any more)
Original post by mnot

Original post by gjd800
I'm usually pretty keen to do this sorta stuff but I just don't really like the look of it, so will need to do a bit more digging re how far I can change things about (easily, because I'm not the 14 year old nerd with days to waste fannying about with this stuff any more)

I'm with you guys here. I was going to upgrade my work PC laptop the moment it came out, and then I remembered what happened with Windows 7, where a rash update decision meant that I'd suddenly lost the ability to use two ancient, but critical programs. Never again, without doing all the checking first!
Not right now but ill be glad to change when the time comes, the boxy start menu if windows 10 has always looked awful
Not just yet :biggrin: I’m waiting to see if there’s any bug fixes needed first I recently bought a new laptop so if something goes sideways I don’t want the hassle to sort out the warranty return 😂😂
Cool!
Reply 9
No, I'm staying with Windows 10.
I'm yet to speak to anyone technically-minded who's upgraded. When they do, I probably will too. Sometimes it's better to just follow the pack.
No, windows is literal malware.
Shall we wait a year or so to find out all the things that proved to be badly wrong with it?
I'll update as late as possible. Windows 10 came with way too much bloatware and until the full implications of how ad-heavy Windows 11 is are revealed, I won't touch the thing. I have no doubt whatsoever that Microsoft will try to push as much adware as possible on W11. Further to that point, lord knows what it'd do to the delicate working environment I have set up right now.

Some day I'll install it on a spare laptop and see just how the ads fare, and whether or not I can remove every last bit of bloat. If that's not possible, I'll likely sit on W10 in perpetuity.

Oh, also that GUI needs to be customizable. They can go jump off into the abyss if they think I'll use a centred start menu like all those Apple goons.

Some changes go deeper than the interface and design.
System integrations for Microsoft Teams - replacing Skype - and the Xbox app both feature heavily in Microsoft's advertising.
The Microsoft Store - the Windows version of an app store - has been completely redesigned and will allow third-party apps to sell inside it, without taking a substantial cut.
And one new feature which raised eyebrows in the technology world was that Windows 11 would run Android smartphone apps through the Amazon app store.
Early adopters have reported that the in-built search function of the new version is significantly faster on most devices - but also that it favours Microsoft's own services, Bing and the Edge browser, when delivering web results.

Examples of stuff I'd fully remove- that god-awful App Store, Xbox-related nonsense, and Teams integration. Also OneDrive if those ******** try to bundle it again. Offense to them, but I want an OS that comes with no strings dangling off the side. I use W10 Pro atm (as anyone should) and I always ask myself why a "Pro" environment comes bundled with all sorts of nonsense related to Xbox or anything built-in like OneDrive or all that bloatware.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Callicious
I'll update as late as possible. Windows 10 came with way too much bloatware and until the full implications of how ad-heavy Windows 11 is are revealed, I won't touch the thing. I have no doubt whatsoever that Microsoft will try to push as much adware as possible on W11. Further to that point, lord knows what it'd do to the delicate working environment I have set up right now.

Some day I'll install it on a spare laptop and see just how the ads fare, and whether or not I can remove every last bit of bloat. If that's not possible, I'll likely sit on W10 in perpetuity.

Oh, also that GUI needs to be customizable. They can go jump off into the abyss if they think I'll use a centred start menu like all those Apple goons.

Some changes go deeper than the interface and design.
System integrations for Microsoft Teams - replacing Skype - and the Xbox app both feature heavily in Microsoft's advertising.
The Microsoft Store - the Windows version of an app store - has been completely redesigned and will allow third-party apps to sell inside it, without taking a substantial cut.
And one new feature which raised eyebrows in the technology world was that Windows 11 would run Android smartphone apps through the Amazon app store.
Early adopters have reported that the in-built search function of the new version is significantly faster on most devices - but also that it favours Microsoft's own services, Bing and the Edge browser, when delivering web results.

Examples of stuff I'd fully remove- that god-awful App Store, Xbox-related nonsense, and Teams integration. Also OneDrive if those ******** try to bundle it again. Offense to them, but I want an OS that comes with no strings dangling off the side. I use W10 Pro atm (as anyone should) and I always ask myself why a "Pro" environment comes bundled with all sorts of nonsense related to Xbox or anything built-in like OneDrive or all that bloatware.

I agree with this, I don't like the new Windows design, I prefer the current one or believe you should have option to choose what design you'd like to have got a surface but still nah.
But hav u upgraded to windows nikki?? Its the best version cause it was made by me
I will check out how Windows 11 works

Compare and contrast features
Ive upgraded to windows 11, barely any changes but I quite like the new UI so thought why not.
OSX currently, have used Linux though.
Windows 11 also uses more resources, the percentage change was significantly higher on ram etc. MS decided as people turn loads of stuff off, they have made sure you cannot.
Original post by random_matt
OSX currently, have used Linux though.
Windows 11 also uses more resources, the percentage change was significantly higher on ram etc. MS decided as people turn loads of stuff off, they have made sure you cannot.

This really dawns on me

I keep saying, but 100% will check it out

Quick Reply

Latest