The Student Room Group

I don't know if my Uni degree is for me/Difficult core module

Hi,

I have only just finished my first learning week at uni and I am really stressed and sad over one of my modules and overall I am starting to doubt whether I should have chosen this degree

To give a little background I currently am taking International Relations at a russel group uni. I have always been interest in wars and what caused them and the effects they had etc ( this mainly is due to me interest on the middle east ) so I chose Interenational Relations because I thought it would best suit my interests but after starting at my uni I have realised that the first semester is all basic politics which has really made me sad as my A-Level experience with Politics was really bad and it made me really dislike Politics in an education sense and its making me wonder if I have chosen the right course.

Everyone that does anything to do with politics needs to take this specific module ( there is no way to get out of it ). I have had two lectures for this module which is all online in which I have already found the content hard mainly due to the fact that its like I should already know this but I don't also the lecture has a very heavy european accent and its really hard to understand what he is saying.

This post is mainly because the lecturer has already given us two 15 page compulsory readings to do and I cannot understand them at all as I don't have any want to learn about theory and comparative politics which is what this module is about as I found it really hard to wrap my head around in A-Levels

Every time I try and even read the first one which is an introduction to this module I don't take anything its like i'm just reading words that don't mean anything and I don't understand the content of it at all. I have cried nearly every time that I have tried to read it because I feel so stupid as my other course mates have made it sound like it was really easy to read. It's really making me doubt myself as I have always found long reading hard and I just feel like I'm not going to get anywhere as I don't understand the reading at all.

I hope it will get better but I'm just really not in a good headspace as my A-levels made my mental health really bad and now being at uni I don't know if I can do it mainly because I feel like I know absolutely nothing as honestly I am the least politically interested people ever but I really want to learn about international politics in terms of crises and war ( stuff like that ) which I why I feel like I should have chosen a War Studies degree but I have only recently found that it is an option for me

Please help
(edited 2 years ago)
Change your degree or take a gap year and start in 2022 on the right degree. Honestly if your already doubting whether the course is for you or not I wouldn't waste anymore time because the further you wait there will be student finance issues to do another degree...

Is there an opportunity to change your degree in second year but still stay in the same University?

Speak to the University and see what your options are.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Change your degree or take a gap year and start in 2022 on the right degree. Honestly if your already doubting whether the course is for you or not I wouldn't waste anymore time because the further you wait there will be student finance issues to do another degree...

Is there an opportunity to change your degree in second year but still stay in the same University?

Speak to the University and see what your options are.

So the problem is, my university doesn't offer the degree that I think would be best for me ( War Studies ) so I can’t change courses here. I haven’t expressed my feelings to anyone as I mainly don’t want to disappoint my parents ( they are very very supportive and would totally be fine if I left/changed courses ) and also because its just my first week and I don’t know how things will go but honestly I don’t think they will get better.

I want to be at uni which is why I never considered a gap year because I felt that if I didn’t go now I wouldn’t want to go at all but I do want to be here. I have seen that I can start some places in January but I don’t know how that goes.

I also only got BBC for my A-Level results and nearly all the places with war studies as a degree require a BBB so I don't know how that will affect me
Original post by graceponcho
So the problem is, my university doesn't offer the degree that I think would be best for me ( War Studies ) so I can’t change courses here. I haven’t expressed my feelings to anyone as I mainly don’t want to disappoint my parents ( they are very very supportive and would totally be fine if I left/changed courses ) and also because its just my first week and I don’t know how things will go but honestly I don’t think they will get better.

I want to be at uni which is why I never considered a gap year because I felt that if I didn’t go now I wouldn’t want to go at all but I do want to be here. I have seen that I can start some places in January but I don’t know how that goes.

I also only got BBC for my A-Level results and nearly all the places with war studies as a degree require a BBB so I don't know how that will affect me

At this stage it might be a good idea to think what are your plans after doing the degree? What career do you envision yourself going into? Then make a decision about changing courses etc

It's good you have supportive parents so I wouldn't worry too much about making them proud etc.
Original post by graceponcho
Hi,

I have only just finished my first learning week at uni and I am really stressed and sad over one of my modules and overall I am starting to doubt whether I should have chosen this degree

To give a little background I currently am taking International Relations at a russel group uni. I have always been interest in wars and what caused them and the effects they had etc ( this mainly is due to me interest on the middle east ) so I chose Interenational Relations because I thought it would best suit my interests but after starting at my uni I have realised that the first semester is all basic politics which has really made me sad as my A-Level experience with Politics was really bad and it made me really dislike Politics in an education sense and its making me wonder if I have chosen the right course.

Everyone that does anything to do with politics needs to take this specific module ( there is no way to get out of it ). I have had two lectures for this module which is all online in which I have already found the content hard mainly due to the fact that its like I should already know this but I don't also the lecture has a very heavy european accent and its really hard to understand what he is saying.

This post is mainly because the lecturer has already given us two 15 page compulsory readings to do and I cannot understand them at all as I don't have any want to learn about theory and comparative politics which is what this module is about as I found it really hard to wrap my head around in A-Levels

Every time I try and even read the first one which is an introduction to this module I don't take anything its like i'm just reading words that don't mean anything and I don't understand the content of it at all. I have cried nearly every time that I have tried to read it because I feel so stupid as my other course mates have made it sound like it was really easy to read. It's really making me doubt myself as I have always found long reading hard and I just feel like I'm not going to get anywhere as I don't understand the reading at all.

I hope it will get better but I'm just really not in a good headspace as my A-levels made my mental health really bad and now being at uni I don't know if I can do it mainly because I feel like I know absolutely nothing as honestly I am the least politically interested people ever but I really want to learn about international politics in terms of crises and war ( stuff like that ) which I why I feel like I should have chosen a War Studies degree but I have only recently found that it is an option for me

Please help

Hi!

I am sorry to hear that you are struggling. If you really feel like International relations is not for you, then the earlier you change it the better. What I would advise though is to kind of push through. I study IR as well, and I am currently in my 2nd year. My whole first year, especially the first semester was more concentrated on politics, theory and basic political concepts. This is something you have to understand before learning all about the 'interesting' stuff, like war. This year, we have been focusing much more on discussing specific events that have happened or are likely to happen, particularly a lot of wars. Therefore, what I mean by this is once you push through this difficult part of learning politics it should definitely get better over time, at least, that is how it was at my uni. Also, don't feel like you are stupid when struggling to understand some readings. To be fair, a lot of assigned readings are just full of highly unnecessary academic language to a point where nothing makes sense. If you are really struggling, you can just look up summaries or easier definitions of things the author talks about. I would also advise talking to your professors or personal tutor about the situation, I'm sure they would be happy to help you with anything!

Hope this helped :smile:

Tereza
Coventry University
International Relations Student

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending