The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL Contexual/Resits

I’m hoping to apply to UCL for Computer Science with received grades AAC, resitting the C which is in maths. I am eligible for a contextual offer in this course, which makes the entry requirements A*AB with an A* in maths. Is it likely that I’ll be made an offer?
Original post by adzzinho
I’m hoping to apply to UCL for Computer Science with received grades AAC, resitting the C which is in maths. I am eligible for a contextual offer in this course, which makes the entry requirements A*AB with an A* in maths. Is it likely that I’ll be made an offer?

It is not very likely seeing that they will have lots of people applying with better grades in Maths which is the subject they most care about for this course.

To go from a C to an A* isn't statistically very likely, but if you are one of the few who can achieve it the best thing would be to take another gap year if you do get A* AB and only want to attend UCL. For this cycle of UCAS however, I would concentrate on unis asking for AAA/AAB like Queen Marys, where you are far more likely to get offers.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by harrysbar
It is not very likely seeing that they will have lots of people applying with better grades in Maths which is the subject they most care about for this course.

To go from a C to an A* isn't statistically very likely, but if you are one of the few who can achieve it the best thing would be to take another gap year if you do get A* AB and only want to attend UCL. For this cycle of UCAS however, I would concentrate on unis asking for AAA/AAB like Queen Marys, where you are far more likely to get offers.

I think I will be able to achieve an A* as I didn’t put much effort into maths since my offer only required a B. If I’m predicted an A*, do you think it’s still worth putting it as one of my choices?
I think I will be able to achieve an A* as I didn’t put much effort into maths since my offer only required a B. If I’m predicted an A*, do you think it’s still worth putting it as one of my choices?

I think the admissions team at UCL will be very unlikely to make you an offer but as long as you are prepared for a likely rejection it doesn't hurt to apply as one of your 5 choices as long as the other 4 are more realistic.
Reply 4
Original post by harrysbar
I think the admissions team at UCL will be very unlikely to make you an offer but as long as you are prepared for a likely rejection it doesn't hurt to apply as one of your 5 choices as long as the other 4 are more realistic.

Do you think it’s worth calling and asking whether or not they’ll consider resits as the first taking of exams this year? I’ve heard that other unis are
Do you think it’s worth calling and asking whether or not they’ll consider resits as the first taking of exams this year? I’ve heard that other unis are

No I don't because that is not the issue.

The issue is the statistical unliklihood of you improving from an C to an A*. I'm not saying it's impossible but UCL will have better applicants to put it bluntly, so I would be surprised if they gave you that chance.

Then again, you have nothing much to lose by trying so as you are determined you could do that and hopefully I will be proved wrong.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending