The Student Room Group

Failing at all interviews

Idk why but every interview I do I just don’t get it. Like all the uni first year rep roles and like analyst positions in finance societies. It’s like when they see my face they’re like nah cos I’mugly. Any help please. No to boast but I’m quite smart academically but yeah I keep failing. Is being just book smart not enough for the real world.😭😭 And this is the same for online zoom interviews for internships where I just don’t get in. I am a very shy person irl and till now this hasn’t affected me negatively but now it is😭. Idk if I can completely change my personality into a confident person after all these years.
Reply 1
Have you had any pre-interview mocks to help you explain your words clearly when asked difficult questions?
Speak to your parents, friends, staff at school.
Watch some interviews here: https://interviewing.io/recordings/

Or if you're really struggling, pay someone to have a mock interview with you, where you give them the topic, and they give you the advice you need to pass: https://www.fiverr.com/ybrinkley/conduct-video-mock-interview-in-preparation-for-new-job
Your uni/college ought to have a career service which will be able to give you advice about applying to and interviewing for jobs. They'll probably have sessions you can book for mock interviews too where they'll give you feedback and ways to improve your interview technique.
In terms of actual interviews, if you find them difficult, the key really is to just practice practice practice. Try and practice with any tutors, friends, family etc. Think about your past interviews and think about what you can improve on. Honestly, even faking confidence in an interview helps.

In terms of you general confidence, I think you need to stop thinking negative things like 'I'm ugly' and really try and put yourself out there. I know it's easier said than done, but its good you are self aware about it and can work on it now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending