The Student Room Group

Can i join architecture university in uk after year 10?

Can i join architecture university in uk after year 10?All the uk architect courses are like only 3 years but some are saying that it took 5-7 years to be an architect,is that true?i am 17 and i just passed year 10 so i am thinking that my age is old for the average.is there any way that i can go to university quickly?
Original post by shinthantlwin
Can i join architecture university in uk after year 10?All the uk architect courses are like only 3 years but some are saying that it took 5-7 years to be an architect,is that true?i am 17 and i just passed year 10 so i am thinking that my age is old for the average.is there any way that i can go to university quickly?

only if you've taken a levels or the IB (or any equivalent level qualifications)
I'm pretty sure you need some kind of level 3 qualification
You will need A levels or Level 3 BTECs to enter a degree course.
Careers info about How to Become an Architect here : https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-profiles/architect
Original post by shinthantlwin

I’m guessing that you are not a UK student? So there are a few things that need to be unpicked in your question.

Historically, in Scotland, some people did go to University at 17 (I have no idea if this is still possible, or how common that is now) but generally in England and Wales, people start University at 18 or above - there are safeguarding issues for under 18s (occasionally there is some child prodigy in pure maths or similar who goes to Cambridge or Oxford when they are 10 with their parents, but I cannot imagine what their lives must be like!)

You will need A’levels or equivalent qualifications. Architecture is competitive to get into which means you need high results (but also competitive as a job, so that suppresses wages…)

You can study architecture as an undergraduate arts degree, which will be 3 or 4 years, without going on to become an architect. But if you want to become an architect, then it takes at least 7 years… and often more.

This comprises of:

BA or BSc of BArch undergraduate degree (providing an exemption from the RIBA Part 1 examination)

A year (or more) work as an a Part 1 Architectural Assistant (this is a job, not an internship or placement)

DipArch or MArch degrees (2 years full time or 3 years part-time, providing an exemption from the RIBA Part 2 examination)

A year (or more) work as a Part 2 Architectural Assistant while undertaking a part time RIBA Part 3 course. You must have a minimum of 24 months practice experience to take the Part 3 exam.

Total = min. 5 years study + 2 years practice experience = 7 years minimum to qualify as an architect.
Although there are also slight variations by university (e.g. Cardiff, the London School of Architecture) and the RIBA Studio (administered by Oxford Brookes) and Degree Apprenticeships for in-work study.

However, it is a truism that a young architect is in their 40s (the “40 under 40” list are truly exceptional high achievers!) simply because there is a lot to learn and - being entirely honest - architecture is still a profession that has a lot of privilege.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending