The Student Room Group

Share your experience at university.

Hello everyone, can you share your experience at university with foundation year or a placement year it would interesting to read. Because I'm applying to university myself and I'm very stressful that I will have to start with foundation year. Also what about your loan? How much loan do you have and did you pay it back?
I can't advise properly because unsure what course you are planning to do.

Also what about your loan? How much loan do you have and did you pay it back? You don't pay it back until you earn over the threshold
See this website:
https://www.gov.uk/repaying-your-student-loan/when-you-start-repaying

can you share your experience at university with foundation year or a placement year it would interesting to read.- I didn't do either but if the foundation year gets you onto the course what's the harm. I would definitely opt for a placement year 100%. It gives you the experience + skills and you get exposure to a field or industry so you know whether after graduating to apply for a job in that industry. It really does help but then on another note it's not the end of the world if you didn't do it too. Many graduates do 3 years and just apply for competitive grad schemes or jobs non relating to the degree. It's just a choice.
From my University friends who did do a placement year they ended up going into degree related jobs post graduating so it must work in their favour the experience but then one didn't too.

Have you thought about going through clearing to avoid doing a Foundation Year? That could be an option for you too.

Don't worry and make sure you consider degree apprenticeships or apprenticeships as they are so widely publicised and invested in by the govt these days. You could get to your career that way instead of the University debt route.
Original post by ThomasTrain
Hello everyone, can you share your experience at university with foundation year or a placement year it would interesting to read. Because I'm applying to university myself and I'm very stressful that I will have to start with foundation year. Also what about your loan? How much loan do you have and did you pay it back?

Hi @ThomasTrain :smile:

I did a humanities foundation year before moving onto my Film and Television studies degree here at UEA and I have to say I personally found it really beneficial. Like you, I had my worries with doing a foundation year but now I can't imagine having not done it. It really helped me to get used to the format of university and all it entails. Things like the academic readings, essay writing, referencing etc. Becoming familiar with the campus, lecturers and making friends during the foundation year are all great benefits too. It means that when you then transfer into your 1st year that you'll know what you're doing and have a level of familiarity with how it all works. That extra year of getting feedback on your work and how you can improve it as well is really valuable. Based on my own personal experience with the foundation year that I did, I'd reccomend them to anyone. Good luck with your applications and I hope you have a brilliant time!

Best wishes,
Danielle
Film and Television Studies

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending