The Student Room Group

Returning to uni as a mature student

I went to uni straight from school and college at 18. It ended up not being what i wanted/expected and I struggled with my grades and mental health - this was years ago and support for such was not advertised and I didn't understand MH much myself. I ended up having to redo my 2nd year part time and due to this decided to move back home and commute. During this time I found myself in an abusive rship and suffered severe depression, anxiety and substance abuse. I was not allowed to leave the house and I ultimately missed my resit exams in the summer. Due to this I failed and could no longer return to uni, I then lost my dad shortly after so was not in a position to fight for this. I spoke to a member of SFE who said I may be eligible for 2 years of student finance. My question is, would I be able to apply for an extra year given the circumstances? I can obtain evidence via drs notes and a death certificate but would it be worth it or a waste of time? I'm 27 now and know what I want to pursue but need a degree. I am in a good mental space to work hard for this, what do you think? Any help is appreciated!!
Reply 1
Original post by xxscmv
I went to uni straight from school and college at 18. It ended up not being what i wanted/expected and I struggled with my grades and mental health - this was years ago and support for such was not advertised and I didn't understand MH much myself. I ended up having to redo my 2nd year part time and due to this decided to move back home and commute. During this time I found myself in an abusive rship and suffered severe depression, anxiety and substance abuse. I was not allowed to leave the house and I ultimately missed my resit exams in the summer. Due to this I failed and could no longer return to uni, I then lost my dad shortly after so was not in a position to fight for this. I spoke to a member of SFE who said I may be eligible for 2 years of student finance. My question is, would I be able to apply for an extra year given the circumstances? I can obtain evidence via drs notes and a death certificate but would it be worth it or a waste of time? I'm 27 now and know what I want to pursue but need a degree. I am in a good mental space to work hard for this, what do you think? Any help is appreciated!!

I say go for it! The best thing you can do is try, and unfortunately if it's just not possible then I'm sorry... but hopefully you'll be able to do it, especially if you have a particular career you want to do. Hope it all works out for you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending