The Student Room Group

some hope..

can you please please share your experiences dealing with violent parents and how did you overcome it when you grew up? also did it take too long to become financially independent when you have left your parents? I am honestly thinking of running away from them since I’m 18 I should be starting my own healthy life from zero.
Original post by Anonymous
can you please please share your experiences dealing with violent parents and how did you overcome it when you grew up? also did it take too long to become financially independent when you have left your parents? I am honestly thinking of running away from them since I’m 18 I should be starting my own healthy life from zero.

I get you and please don't run away now. I suggest standing up to your parents and apply to a university far away, ask for a grant from the university to start you off on travel and accommodation expenses. There will be jobs in your university that pay more than regular jobs so try to grab one of those so you can pay for textbooks, accommodation and basic necessities but if it's really that bad, I suggest packing your things and and maybe ask a friend if their parent has a job placement for you so you can apply for emancipation*, and if possible, ask if you could stay there until uni comes around.
I've first hand seen violence and it changes people so please get away while you can and crash at someone's house while you get your life sorted or at least until uni.

*Emancipation is when you (ideally have a job) and are estranged from your parents and you apply for your own freedom, having a job will better your chances of being accepted as an emancipated teenager.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending