The Student Room Group

Executive MBA - Oxbridge

I am wanting to apply to an EMBA in the next 2-3 years and particularly have a preference for Cambridge. I have 16 years experience (3 years investment banking & 13 years Investment Management) in finance operations roles with global experience and clear progression demonstrated. My problem is I went to a low standing university and achieved a 2.1. I have some professional qualifications as well but nothing overly prestigious. I was very lucky to get on the graduate scheme at goldman sachs post graduation, worked at a FTSE 100 company, an overseas central bank and now an investment management company. I am wondering what can I do at this stage to improve my chances of getting on the Cambridge EMBA ?
Original post by Herecomes40
I am wanting to apply to an EMBA in the next 2-3 years and particularly have a preference for Cambridge. I have 16 years experience (3 years investment banking & 13 years Investment Management) in finance operations roles with global experience and clear progression demonstrated. My problem is I went to a low standing university and achieved a 2.1. I have some professional qualifications as well but nothing overly prestigious. I was very lucky to get on the graduate scheme at goldman sachs post graduation, worked at a FTSE 100 company, an overseas central bank and now an investment management company. I am wondering what can I do at this stage to improve my chances of getting on the Cambridge EMBA ?

Tbh I think your professional resume will be very strong, and given the gap between your studies & the new mba I doubt they’ll be placing huge emphasis on the undergraduate result. Looks like they also take into account GMAT so you can perform strongly on that.

Can i ask (for my own curiosity) why are you doing the MBA? I thought most mid-career professionals tended to do this if they wanted to move into professional services, but id think with your CV you don’t need the MBA to be the catalyst, similarly if this about climbing the ladder would your current employer not organise it... do you just want an MBA or is their a deeper reason, sorry im just a curious person in their mid-20s.
Original post by Herecomes40

I think you have a competitive profile and the 2.1 would probably not be an issue.

Here are the requirements for the EMBA:

https://www.jbs.cam.ac.uk/programmes/executive-mba/apply/

You should have a look and check whether you meet the requirements esp the GMAT.

I understand that you are interested in the Executive MBA but have you considered the standard 1 year MBA? That would be a full focus over 1 year where you can focus and immerse yourself in your education.

Here is the link for the MBA:

https://www.jbs.cam.ac.uk/programmes/mba/apply/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending