The Student Room Group

Lady Macbeth Paragraph

Can someone mark my Lady Macbeth paragraph (I'm a GCSE student by the way)?

Lady Macbeth is presented as somewhat supernatural. This is evident as Lady Macbeth states “Pour my spirits in thine ear”. The dynamic verb “pour” exemplifies how she has to speak persuasively to Macbeth to make him agree to regicide and exacerbates her manipulative and strategic characteristics. Manipulation and dominance would have not been seen as archetypal attributes of a women in the time of Jacobean England so for Lady Macbeth to act beyond gender normalities and be manipulative towards Macbeth amplifies her potential supernatural behaviour. In addition, the dynamic verb “pour” is a potential allusion to creating potions and hints at Lady Macbeth’s abilities being similar to The Witches’ when making substances like “wassail”. Furthermore, Lady Macbeth states “The raven himself is hoarse”. The personification of the raven by stating “himself” is a reference to the devil and alludes to Lady Macbeth’s communications to spirits which connects her to The Witches and the supernatural or perhaps could be Lady Macbeth communicating with her familiars which she could possess. Additionally, the constricting adjective “hoarse” exemplifies Lady Macbeth's unnatural ability to tell prophecies as ravens in Jacobean England were thought to be hoarse if several deaths were going to occur.
Reply 1
Original post by l17098HP
Can someone mark my Lady Macbeth paragraph (I'm a GCSE student by the way)?

Lady Macbeth is presented as somewhat supernatural. This is evident as Lady Macbeth states “Pour my spirits in thine ear”. The dynamic verb “pour” exemplifies how she has to speak persuasively to Macbeth to make him agree to regicide and exacerbates her manipulative and strategic characteristics. Manipulation and dominance would have not been seen as archetypal attributes of a women in the time of Jacobean England so for Lady Macbeth to act beyond gender normalities and be manipulative towards Macbeth amplifies her potential supernatural behaviour. In addition, the dynamic verb “pour” is a potential allusion to creating potions and hints at Lady Macbeth’s abilities being similar to The Witches’ when making substances like “wassail”. Furthermore, Lady Macbeth states “The raven himself is hoarse”. The personification of the raven by stating “himself” is a reference to the devil and alludes to Lady Macbeth’s communications to spirits which connects her to The Witches and the supernatural or perhaps could be Lady Macbeth communicating with her familiars which she could possess. Additionally, the constricting adjective “hoarse” exemplifies Lady Macbeth's unnatural ability to tell prophecies as ravens in Jacobean England were thought to be hoarse if several deaths were going to occur.

Im in year 11 and i’m also doing Macbeth but I dont understand it bc my teacher didn’t explain it properly and I got a grade 8 for my eng lang mock so I’m hoping for a similar grade in my lit mock in January, but your paragraph is so good that I wanna cry and I really need to start revising “macbeth” properly💔 so basically to sum it up;i’m not an expert as i’m also a student, however I think that your paragraph is really good and it’s motivated me to reread Macbeth on my own and actually try understanding it bc clearly my teacher won’t help.And there’ll be ppl like you exceeding me in marks,making it harder for me to get above a 7 so yeh well done
It looks good, but I would start the paragraph a bit differently. Maybe something like ‘Shakespeare’s use of language serves to characterise Lady Macbeth in ways different to Jacobean norms’ …. And then in your analysis that’s when you bring in the bit about her being supernatural. Also when you say ‘this is evident’, I’m not sure you have given enough points for anything to be evident, I would say ‘for example Lady Macbeth states…. . Here, the dynamic verb ‘pour’….’
Also you repeat the phrase ‘dynamic verb’; choose something else or just say dynamic.
Sorry, I meant just say verb
Reply 4
Some suggestions in addition to the above:
I would say traditional gender stereotypes...instead of normalities

Exacerbates...maybe emphasises is better

Her manipulative character..

Amplifies.....could replace with draws attention to or highlights or emphasises (as long as emphasises hasn't been repeated)

Very good though!
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 5
Not sure it is a constricting adjective. Could leave out constricting.

I would take out somewhat.
Reply 6
Original post by Cote1
Some suggestions in addition to the above:
I would say traditional gender stereotypes...instead of normalities

Exacerbates...maybe emphasises is better

Her manipulative character..

Amplifies.....could replace with draws attention to or highlights or emphasises (as long as emphasises hasn't been repeated)

Very good though!

Thanks for the constructive criticism :smile:; I have my mocks starting next week so I really appreciate it
Reply 7
Original post by booklover1313
It looks good, but I would start the paragraph a bit differently. Maybe something like ‘Shakespeare’s use of language serves to characterise Lady Macbeth in ways different to Jacobean norms’ …. And then in your analysis that’s when you bring in the bit about her being supernatural. Also when you say ‘this is evident’, I’m not sure you have given enough points for anything to be evident, I would say ‘for example Lady Macbeth states…. . Here, the dynamic verb ‘pour’….’
Also you repeat the phrase ‘dynamic verb’; choose something else or just say dynamic.

Thanks for the feedback, but I did not manage to view this before doing my mocks today for English. However, I think I did pretty well for English so its fine :smile: thanks for noticing my paragraph lol
Original post by l17098HP
Thanks for the feedback, but I did not manage to view this before doing my mocks today for English. However, I think I did pretty well for English so its fine :smile: thanks for noticing my paragraph lol

I'm glad it went well; good luck for your other mocks!
Reply 9
Original post by booklover1313
I'm glad it went well; good luck for your other mocks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending