The Student Room Group

Uni grade boundaries

I go to a Russell group uni studying an essay based subject (anthropology). Our grade boundaries are 72% for a 1st, 62% for a 2:1 etc. I was just wondering why they are different to most unis - as I know its usually 70% for a 1st.

Just curious if anyone knows the reason why some unis have higher grade boundaries than others?
Original post by fii_xox
I go to a Russell group uni studying an essay based subject (anthropology). Our grade boundaries are 72% for a 1st, 62% for a 2:1 etc. I was just wondering why they are different to most unis - as I know its usually 70% for a 1st.

Just curious if anyone knows the reason why some unis have higher grade boundaries than others?

It’s up to each university to set the academic regulations how they see reasonable.

You also can’t compare boundaries arbitrarily as the change in grade structure likely affects the individual rubrics, moderation etc.

My guess is they’ve done this so they can defacto boost grades by 2% to help graduates in the job market.

What university is this?
Original post by mnot
It’s up to each university to set the academic regulations how they see reasonable.

You also can’t compare boundaries arbitrarily as the change in grade structure likely affects the individual rubrics, moderation etc.

My guess is they’ve done this so they can defacto boost grades by 2% to help graduates in the job market.

What university is this?

oh yeah I guess its something to do with how we're assessed - its mostly coursework on my course.

I go to University of Birmingham. It seems to only apply to my department as well. Friends studying psychology, law etc have the 70% for a 1st grade boundary
Original post by fii_xox
oh yeah I guess its something to do with how we're assessed - its mostly coursework on my course.

I go to University of Birmingham. It seems to only apply to my department as well. Friends studying psychology, law etc have the 70% for a 1st grade boundary

If it’s just one course or faculty then perhaps the university or accreditation body felt the boundary was required correction & it was easier to raise the boundary slightly then re-jig all the marking methodologies for every module.
For my grading then you can only get 72 or 68 etc

However when you do an exam with 3 questions then it gets weighted to give you say 71% which it a still a first.

Are you sure 72% is needed overall to get a first?
Original post by fii_xox

weird at most if not all other unis it's
70% = 1st
60% = 2:1
50% = 2:2
40% = 3rd
I don't know why yours would be diffrent.
Reply 6
Some departments at Liverpool Hope mark this way, too. it's pretty unusual, but mnot is likely right as to the reasoning
Reply 7
Step-marking, they call it.

For example, for any given answer it's either a 62% or a 65% there isn't any in-betweens. But when they give you an overall module mark, 70% should still be a first; so let's say if your modular mark is 71%, it is still a first.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending