The Student Room Group

How hard would it be to get into Grad medicine?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Reality Check
Just from first principles, does that make sense? Why is it that a doctor has to have the finest academic qualifications to even get a foot in the door, then pass an entry test, then do a hard medical degree, then further training and still at SHO, have to be supervised in certain areas of prescribing, not to mention increasingly hard professional examinations if prescribing is as simple as being able to do a PA degree for a couple of years and be 'competent'.

It's as if the PAs have found some magic trick that generations of doctors have been entirely blind to - oh, that prescribing malarky, it's a piece of piss really...

I’m just sharing what I’m thinking, no need to get heated
Reply 81
I’m confused on why American PAs who also do 2 years postgrad study can prescribe, but the idea of uk PAs prescribing becomes shocking and absurd
Original post by GlueSniffer
Okay so this going to be quite a unique set of academics so I'm just curious.

GCSE'S = 8 D'S AND 1 C (Never cared)
BTEC = MMM in Engineering (Never cared)
Degree = 85% first in Law (top of the class) (I started to care)

I know this is going to sound quite ridiculous but how hard would it be for someone like this to get into Grad medicine?

You are more likely to make it into SAS than grad medicine :biggrin: ESA Astronaut training is about as difficult to get in :biggrin:
Original post by Ibs223
I’m just sharing what I’m thinking, no need to get heated

You seem very sensitive to things. Everything OK?
Reply 84
I was being sarcastic
Original post by Ibs223
I’m confused on why American PAs who also do 2 years postgrad study can prescribe, but the idea of uk PAs prescribing becomes shocking and absurd

It’s basically what you said about not having a regulatory body. American PA’s are monitored and regulated by the AAPS (i think) but UK ones aren’t with the GMC yet. The profession also started in the US so once it gets more popular worldwide/with the UK, prescription rights will follow :smile: PA’s are more than capable to diagnose and recommend treatment which only needs to be signed off by a doctor.
Original post by Ibs223

Just because the USA allows it, doesn't mean it's necessarily a good thing.

I've been reading around PA's in the USA and from I can gather it isn't necessarily a good thing that they're getting extra responsibilty. The lines between PA and Dr are so blurred that patients often think they're getting treatment from a Doc when they're actually being treated by a PA. You can google it and see that there's been a few cases where this has led to massive errors because the PA has missed something that would've been otherwise routine to a Dr.

Now I'm not saying all PA's are that incompetent, of course they're not, but it's important to think about these things instead of just saying that they should get prescribing rights because their colleagues overseas do. There's a reason it takes so long to train to be a Dr.
Reply 87
Original post by medicphd
Just because the USA allows it, doesn't mean it's necessarily a good thing.

I've been reading around PA's in the USA and from I can gather it isn't necessarily a good thing that they're getting extra responsibilty. The lines between PA and Dr are so blurred that patients often think they're getting treatment from a Doc when they're actually being treated by a PA. You can google it and see that there's been a few cases where this has led to massive errors because the PA has missed something that would've been otherwise routine to a Dr.

Now I'm not saying all PA's are that incompetent, of course they're not, but it's important to think about these things instead of just saying that they should get prescribing rights because their colleagues overseas do. There's a reason it takes so long to train to be a Dr.

From my research both doctors and PAs have demonstrated frustration numerous times to the fact that they cannot prescribe. Many times the PA has to get a doctors signature for a prescription when it would make more sense if they could just do it themselves to save time( obviously if they have demonstrated enough competency)
Original post by Ibs223
From my research both doctors and PAs have demonstrated frustration numerous times to the fact that they cannot prescribe. Many times the PA has to get a doctors signature for a prescription when it would make more sense if they could just do it themselves to save time( obviously if they have demonstrated enough competency)

If PA is originally a nurse can they do the independent prescriber course?
Reply 89
Original post by ElderlyMedic
If PA is originally a nurse can they do the independent prescriber course?

Currently they are not regulated so no
Original post by Ibs223

But where does that frustration from the Dr's come from? Is it because they're understaffed and are swept off their feet so they don't have to time to sign off a prescription? If so, wouldn't it be of a greater benefit to have more Dr's on staff?

I don't have the answer, I just think it's a contentious topic that needs to be discussed in detail before extra responsibilities are given.
Reply 91
But where does that frustration from the Dr's come from? Is it because they're understaffed and are swept off their feet so they don't have to time to sign off a prescription? If so, wouldn't it be of a greater benefit to have more Dr's on staff?

I don't have the answer, I just think it's a contentious topic that needs to be discussed in detail before extra responsibilities are given.

PA can provide continuity of care, so be left in a certain position for as long as they want whilst junior doctors keep rotating for training. So giving them prescription rights would mean they can provide continuity of care without having to keep chasing doctors to sign the prescriptions
Reply 92
One last question I want to ask you. How tough is a PAs role compared to a doctors? You mentioned that 100k is not enough for the work of a doctor and not worth it, so if PAs do somewhat similar role, but get paid half that, wouldn’t that mean PA is not worth it at all, from the monetary aspect.
Original post by Ibs223
One last question I want to ask you. How tough is a PAs role compared to a doctors? You mentioned that 100k is not enough for the work of a doctor and not worth it, so if PAs do somewhat similar role, but get paid half that, wouldn’t that mean PA is not worth it at all, from the monetary aspect.

It's a relatively new role, so someone in the medical council eyeballed the 50k as a starting point and over time people will see if it is where it should be. In no way it represents what you are "worth".
Original post by Ibs223
PA can provide continuity of care, so be left in a certain position for as long as they want whilst junior doctors keep rotating for training. So giving them prescription rights would mean they can provide continuity of care without having to keep chasing doctors to sign the prescriptions

True, but does continuity of care have the same value as a much longer education and training pathway?

Also need to ensure there is enough training for junior docs, I've read about it becoming increasingly common for PAs to take on particular competencies leaving no experiences for junior docs who need it.
Original post by Ibs223
You mentioned that 100k is not enough for the work of a doctor and not worth it, so if PAs do somewhat similar role, but get paid half that, wouldn’t that mean PA is not worth it at all, from the monetary aspect.

A somewhat similar role with much less responsibility. If something goes wrong, the responsibility still lies with the doc in charge.

Also bear in mind that virtually no one working in the public sector (healthcare, teaching etc), is paid what they're 'worth'. There's always more money to be made in the private sector.
Reply 95
So providing continuity of care is ‘irrelevant’ for PAs. They are not competent enough to prescribe. So what is the point of PAs then.
Reply 96
Also since doctors are so underpaid why don’t you guys do something about it. The country needs you. I’m sure you can find a way to get what you want in terms of salary. I understand the nhs is funded by the tax payer, but this government wastes money on pointless things every year, I’m sure they can afford to pay nhs staff fairly. The Netherlands or Canada have a public healthcare system as well, however they get paid fairly. Even PAs in Netherlands make 90k. I feel like something needs to be done about this from the doctors side
Original post by Ibs223

Everyone wants to prescribe. The BDA (not dentists, but dietitians) have fought for supplementary prescribing rights for years - and this is typical of most AHPs. Everyone thinks they can prescribe, but neither the law, nor the GMC, seem to agree.
Original post by Ibs223
Also since doctors are so underpaid why don’t you guys do something about it. The country needs you. I’m sure you can find a way to get what you want in terms of salary. I understand the nhs is funded by the tax payer, but this government wastes money on pointless things every year, I’m sure they can afford to pay nhs staff fairly. The Netherlands or Canada have a public healthcare system as well, however they get paid fairly. Even PAs in Netherlands make 90k. I feel like something needs to be done about this from the doctors side

Have you read any articles about GPs lately? They're not exactly the public's favourite people at the moment. When junior doctors went on strike years ago it was most definitely not backed by everyone - it's one thing to say you need a strike for better pay and conditions, it's completely different when you actually go through with one.

I do agree with you that something should be done, but can you imagine the dailymail headlines - "doctors on 100K a year go on strike in the midst of a pandemic". That'll go down well.
but can you imagine the dailymail headlines - "doctors on 100K a year go on strike in the midst of a pandemic". That'll go down well.

They would have a field day.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending