The Student Room Group

Epq help

So I started my epq in February during lockdown and have had literally 1 lesson about the types of sources. Then my teacher left so I’ve had no supervisor meetings or any of the lesson time we are supposed to have done. Have been basing all my tasks off of the things my friend in a another school has done but honestly really have no idea what I’m doing and need to hand it in by Christmas.

How am I supposed to fill out the supervisor comments/feedback of the production log? Also does anyone have any general tips because I’m struggling a lot 😂
Original post by TheSuckUpStudent
So I started my epq in February during lockdown and have had literally 1 lesson about the types of sources. Then my teacher left so I’ve had no supervisor meetings or any of the lesson time we are supposed to have done. Have been basing all my tasks off of the things my friend in a another school has done but honestly really have no idea what I’m doing and need to hand it in by Christmas.

How am I supposed to fill out the supervisor comments/feedback of the production log? Also does anyone have any general tips because I’m struggling a lot 😂

You would need to meet with your supervisor or whoever coordinates the EPQ at your school, to discuss your project and where you're at with it. If you can meet in person you could always ask if they can add some comment to your document or in an email. Then you can interpret them yourself and add them to your production log. For mine I made a gantt chart, but you could just make spreadsheet of goals and the dates you are planning to start and finish them by. Then make a column for recording the actual dates you completed them. It okay if you have overrun on timescales as you can mention it in your reflection afterwards. You could also looking into the CRAAP test for testing the reviewing how reliable your resources are, this could be particularly useful when you are reviewing your project for your final presentation. I found looking through the spec really useful to make sure I haven't missed anything, and making sure all of the documents are complete. MAKE SURE TO REFERENCE EVERYTHING IN TEXT AND IN YOUR BIBLIOGRAPHY TO AVOID PLAGIARISM! With my EPQ, I'm currently finishing my essay and checking all my references and bibliography, them I'm gunna start my presentation that I will be presenting after Christmas. My biggest piece of advise is to just to start doing a little bit everyday. I had 2400 words on monday and now today I have 4700, it helps to do a little bit here and there so you don't burn yourself out and end up not touching it for a month... totally not something that happened to me... lmao XD

Good Luck with your project!! I hope some of this might have helped! :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by instantn00dles
You would need to meet with your supervisor or whoever coordinates the EPQ at your school, to discuss your project and where you're at with it. If you can meet in person you could always ask if they can add some comment to your document or in an email. Then you can interpret them yourself and add them to your production log. For mine I made a gantt chart, but you could just make spreadsheet of goals and the dates you are planning to start and finish them by. Then make a column for recording the actual dates you completed them. It okay if you have overrun on timescales as you can mention it in your reflection afterwards. You could also looking into the CRAAP test for testing the reviewing how reliable your resources are, this could be particularly useful when you are reviewing your project for your final presentation. I found looking through the spec really useful to make sure I haven't missed anything, and making sure all of the documents are complete. MAKE SURE TO REFERENCE EVERYTHING IN TEXT AND IN YOUR BIBLIOGRAPHY TO AVOID PLAGIARISM! With my EPQ, I'm currently finishing my essay and checking all my references and bibliography, them I'm gunna start my presentation that I will be presenting after Christmas. My biggest piece of advise is to just to start doing a little bit everyday. I had 2400 words on monday and now today I have 4700, it helps to do a little bit here and there so you don't burn yourself out and end up not touching it for a month... totally not something that happened to me... lmao XD

You seem to know your stuff, do you think I could ask a few EPQ questions too?
I'm a Photography student and I want my EPQ to focus on a portfolio of themed photos which I'll then write a detailed analysis and explanation of which will answer a certain question regarding photography. Is this possible? I'm not a big writer. I haven't met with any supervisors as of yet because I'm still in Y12, so I'm mostly brainstorming ATM
Original post by daedia
You seem to know your stuff, do you think I could ask a few EPQ questions too?
I'm a Photography student and I want my EPQ to focus on a portfolio of themed photos which I'll then write a detailed analysis and explanation of which will answer a certain question regarding photography. Is this possible? I'm not a big writer. I haven't met with any supervisors as of yet because I'm still in Y12, so I'm mostly brainstorming ATM

This seems like you wanna take more of an artifact route with your project. So you make or produce something meaning your word count can be lower, so like 2500 words as opposed to 5000. If you are going to take your own photos and create a portfolio or artwork, then I reckon this could be possible. You would just wanna be a bit careful and make sure you are going to have enough to write about and analyse. You would need to develop a question regarding the themed photos, like for example how powerful photography can be and how different photographs can make people feel. You could even create your own surveys about the images to get peoples responses, you would be great for including some stats in your essay and showing that you can carry out your own research. Idk too much about how you would do this as mine is biochemistry based lol XD But I would definitely speak to your photography teacher to see if they can help you think of some ideas, then if/when your start it make sure that your project is approved by your supervisor, just so you know you're not going be wasting your time. But I do think this is a cool idea and completely possible, you'll just have to navigate the project in the right way.

I hope some of this might help!! :smile:
Original post by instantn00dles

This was incredibly helpful, thank you so much!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending