The Student Room Group

I've lost all motivation

I'm in my 3rd year of uni now and I've lost all motivation. I sometimes wonder whether it has even been worth it or a waste of time. I think I'm just done with education now and not as academic as I used t be. In my last assignment, my mark was 55 which isn't the worst grade possible but it did make me feel deflated as I thought I worked hard on that assignment and was expecting better.

Having all these assignments to do that I'm not at all interested in takes up a lot of my time with procrastination along with it as well so I'm not able to actually use my time to do things that make me happy.

I've barely made many friends, I feel depressed half the time but I'm still trying to get through it all so I can say "I did it".

Does anyone else feel the same way right now? Oh, I study Psychology as well in case you're interested.
This is how I feel in first year studying maths, think I better quit now before it gets worse...
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
This is how I feel in first year studying maths, think I better quit now before it gets worse...

Yeah, maths at uni sounds really difficult! I hope you feel better and find what truly makes you happy. Maybe another subject?
I'm in my 3rd year of uni now and I've lost all motivation. I sometimes wonder whether it has even been worth it or a waste of time. I think I'm just done with education now and not as academic as I used t be. In my last assignment, my mark was 55 which isn't the worst grade possible but it did make me feel deflated as I thought I worked hard on that assignment and was expecting better.

Having all these assignments to do that I'm not at all interested in takes up a lot of my time with procrastination along with it as well so I'm not able to actually use my time to do things that make me happy.

I've barely made many friends, I feel depressed half the time but I'm still trying to get through it all so I can say "I did it".

Does anyone else feel the same way right now? Oh, I study Psychology as well in case you're interested.

Do you think it's the uni that you chose or internal issues that has you feeling this way?
Reply 4
Original post by greenmean
Do you think it's the uni that you chose or internal issues that has you feeling this way?

I think it's more internal issues and the pressure of assignments. I've just lost my motivation to do it.
I think it's more internal issues and the pressure of assignments. I've just lost my motivation to do it.

Have you completely messed up your chances of getting an acceptable final grade yet?
Hey!

I can understand what you are going through, I've lost pretty much most of my motivation to do anything. All I can say is that I hope things get easier for you, and you are able to get your motivation back! :hugs:

Hello,

I'm sorry that you're not feeling great about university at the moment! As a fellow Psychology student, I definitely understand how difficult it can be to get through the content and do your best on the assignments when you don't have the motivation and you're not feeling great within yourself.

I think you need to applaud yourself for making it this far - that's a huge achievement in itself. Sometimes, we have to use the little things to spur us on in the moment, even if it is just the idea of being able to say 'I did it', especially when you're so close to finishing. I'd really suggest contacting your personal tutor and the wellbeing service at your uni, discussing how you're feeling and seeing what support they can offer you, things feel lighter when you're reminded you're not alone. If you're looking to develop some friendships, it's never too late to start talking to people in your lectures, join some societies or look for groups, activities or a part-time job outside of university so that you can start to meet people.

In terms of your assignment mark, do you understand the feedback or where you could've done things differently? It might be worth discussing the feedback with your lecturer if you're unsure about anything. Although it can be deflating - especially when you've put in effort - I think sometimes you have to extend yourself some grace, take it in your stride and keep moving forward as best you can. Also, if you need extensions on your assignments then don't be afraid to ask for them, your mental wellbeing is really important and most universities are understanding of that.

The last time I was in a similar position, I gave myself a day or two to just do things that bring me joy, have a little self-care and rest (whilst making a conscious effort to not feel guilty or like I was 'wasting' time). I then decided to treat university like a full time job. I only really do Uni work from 10am-6pm Monday to Friday, and occasionally on a Saturday morning. Then I spend the rest of the time doing the things that I enjoy. Although I still have my moments, this approach has really helped me find balance and procrastinate a lot less.

Hopefully this helps!

All the best on your journey :smile:
-Rebecca, 3rd Year Psychology Student
Yeah, maths at uni sounds really difficult! I hope you feel better and find what truly makes you happy. Maybe another subject?

I am thinking about applying elsewhere for history yeah. I just don't feel I can get through 3 years of this as first semester was a miserable time for me. I hope things improve for you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending