The Student Room Group

Which US President was most significant? (Group H)

This poll is closed

Which US President was most significant? (Group H)

Herbert Hoover 0%
Franklin D. Roosevelt 75%
Harry S. Truman 21%
Dwight D. Eisenhower4%
Total votes: 24
TSR is asking the question: Which US President was the most significant?

We're holding a tournament of US Presidents and asking you to vote to determine which was the most significant in history. We are currently in the group stages of this tournament, and this is Group H.

All the other groups are linked at the bottom of this post, and there's a hub thread here if you're interested in reading more. :smile:

In Group H are:

Herbert Hoover 1929-1933 (Repub)
No relation to Dyson, Hoover was best known for serving as U.S President during the Onset of the great depression. Before becoming President he led the comission for reilf In Belgium and served as director of the U.S food administration. He also had one of the longest retirements in US Presedential History

Franklin D Roosenvelt 1933-1945 (Dem)
Roosenvelt won a record 4 Presidential Elections, he Implemented the new deal to help soften the blow of the great depression. He also took the US into WW2 after the attack at Pearl Harbour. Roosenvelt died in office in 1945

Harry S Truman 1945-1953 (Dem)
Served as a senator for the State of Missouri before becoming Presedent, Truman served as VP before becoming the President after the death of Roosenvelt but won of his own accord in 1948. Truman is perhaps known for implemting the Marshall plan and the Berlin Airlift, the rubuilding of Europe after WW2 and sumbtting the first civil rights legislation. However his intervention in the Korean war did not gain congress aprroval and his popularity fell and alleged corruption caused his polls to fall. Despirte this several landmarks occured during his tenure, such as the atomic bomb, china becoming communist and Isreal becomign a state.

Dwight D Eisenhower 1953-1961 (Repub)
Before coming President Eisenhower served as Supreme commander of Allied forces in Europe and was responsbile for Operation Torch and Operation Overlord in Ww2. As President he tried to contain communsim by supporting the French in Indochina, recognsing Taiwan over China and threatening the nuclear option in the Korean war. He also advocated and started the desgregation of armed forces, but on the flip side LGBT citizens were barred from certain professions

Once you have decided, please vote in the poll attached to the thread. This poll will close on 7th February. The top two Presidents will move through to round 2, with an extra 4 spots for the most popular votes in the remaining presidents.

If you like this idea and want to see more from the History forum. Let us know by posting in this thread.* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

P.S. Don't forget to check out the polls for the other groups here:

Group A
Group B
Group C
Group D
Group E
Group F
Group G
Group H
Group I
Group J
Group K
Strong group; Eisenhower or Truman could easily have topped most of the other polls, but I have to go for Roosevelt here.
Original post by AngryJellyfish
Strong group; Eisenhower or Truman could easily have topped most of the other polls, but I have to go for Roosevelt here.

All I can say is poor hoover
Reply 3
Rather inclined to go with Truman instead of Roosevelt. The latter being famous for his being in power during the war but it was the former who oversaw the most impressive legacy, in terms of setting the stage for the Cold War.
This one has three strong contenders! I think I will go for Truman however.
Original post by CatusStarbright
This one has three strong contenders! I think I will go for Truman however.

Unfortunately the 4th contender sucks

(See what I did there)
Original post by Andrew97
Unfortunately the 4th contender sucks

(See what I did there)

Very good :lol:
It's a shame Herbert couldn't Hoover up any votes :teehee:
I had voted FDR but I'm surprised Truman has more votes than Eisenhower actually. Then thinking about it, I think Truman's approach to the Cold War had a longer-term impact than Eisenhower's brinkmanship.
Unless there are any changes in the next hour, the results are as follows:

Results for Round 1 - Group H

:king1: Franklin Roosevelt (18)

:king2: Harry Truman (5)

:king3: Dwight Eisenhower (1)

4th Herbert Hoover (0)
:woo: We're now into Round 2 :woo:

Check out the heats here:

Heat 1
Heat 2
Heat 3
Heat 4