The Student Room Group

Am I evil for not wanting my sister to attend my graduation ceremony?

I have elder sister who is in her 30s and she's very toxic and loves to create problems and play the victim. She always targets important days like my birthdays, exams and any day any friend of mine visits. She will create an argument with my mom for no reason and as my mom is a heart patient. She gets sick and I get stressed and sometimes it gets worse and I just cry. Although my sister has a nasty personality, she dresses traditionally thus is very accepted by our community and everyone overlooks her evil personality and actually always treat me like I'm cinderella's evil sister. Thus I no longer celebrate my birthdays nor invite anyone over. My graduation is next week and I told mom that I didn't want my sister to attend but then she started preaching me that's she's my family and what will people think of me. But I just want to enjoy that day without drama and crying, I'm really tired of my sister.
Original post by Anonymous
I have elder sister who is in her 30s and she's very toxic and loves to create problems and play the victim. She always targets important days like my birthdays, exams and any day any friend of mine visits. She will create an argument with my mom for no reason and as my mom is a heart patient. She gets sick and I get stressed and sometimes it gets worse and I just cry. Although my sister has a nasty personality, she dresses traditionally thus is very accepted by our community and everyone overlooks her evil personality and actually always treat me like I'm cinderella's evil sister. Thus I no longer celebrate my birthdays nor invite anyone over. My graduation is next week and I told mom that I didn't want my sister to attend but then she started preaching me that's she's my family and what will people think of me. But I just want to enjoy that day without drama and crying, I'm really tired of my sister.

Well, to answer your question, this wouldn't mean that you're evil.
I have no idea why you'd even consider inviting a 30 year old adult sister who you don't particularly get on with to your graduation. My siblings didn't come to mine and I like them!
Reply 3
Original post by sufys12
Well, to answer your question, this wouldn't mean that you're evil.

Do you think I'm being selfish for not wanting her to attend?
Original post by Anonymous
Do you think I'm being selfish for not wanting her to attend?

no. it seems reasonable that you do not wish for her to attend.
This is your moment, you don't need your sister ruining things. Do what makes you happy, if your sister throws a fit - tell her to sort out her damn attitude and put aside the negativity for a couple of days. Don't think that you are selfish, if anything I highly respect you for thinking about making that decision.
Reply 6
Original post by skylark2
I have no idea why you'd even consider inviting a 30 year old adult sister who you don't particularly get on with to your graduation. My siblings didn't come to mine and I like them!

I personally don't want to however in my country, its part of culture and family is important part of every life event. However my sister never compromises and I'm tired of her toxicity. And as you say my sister is an adult but everyone in my community is treating me like I'm some selfish awful person because as they say no matter what she's family. That's their logic 🙄😭
No, not evil. :smile:
You are being proactive and reasonable in trying to keep a toxic & unreasonably behaved individual away from your graduation.
Do bear in mind that your sister may view your decision as a challenge to her power and respond by either trying to use emotional blackmail to get an invite through your mother or come without invitation in an attempt to ruin your day.
Reply 8
I am literally going through the same thing. My sister is in her 30s and my grad is in september. We have a small family and I haven't told my mum or my aunt the date yet because I know my sister will just show up. I've been so anxious. Hope you figure out what to do
Original post by gal1234
I am literally going through the same thing. My sister is in her 30s and my grad is in september. We have a small family and I haven't told my mum or my aunt the date yet because I know my sister will just show up. I've been so anxious. Hope you figure out what to do

How will she get a ticket if you don;t give her one? She won't be allowed in ..
Pretty sure it isn't ticketed. 2 people can go to the actual ceremony per person so my mum and cousin will be going. I have booked a table for dinner for them and my aunt so 4 of us but my sister is delusional and will probably show up. I told my mum I don't want her in my life etc and my mum got mad at me.

(The damn underlined thing won't turn off)

Original post by Muttley79
Original post by gal1234
Pretty sure it isn't ticketed. 2 people can go to the actual ceremony per person so my mum and cousin will be going. I have booked a table for dinner for them and my aunt so 4 of us but my sister is delusional and will probably show up. I told my mum I don't want her in my life etc and my mum got mad at me.

I've been to a few and every one has been ticketed - two tickets max per graduate.
Original post by gal1234

It must be ticketed so that they can maintain fairness for everyone to have at least 1 or 2 guests in the venue with them? The space is limited so it doesn’t make sense for guest number not to be.

That doesn't always apply, I wish it did.

Some venues have appallingly low security and don't check. :facepalm:
Or permit tickets to be sold on the door. :banghead:
A few institutions in England & Northern Ireland have a horrifying tradition of employing multiple cruel or corrupt lecturers who are in the habit of leaking graduation dates to the relatives/former partners of estranged students who have fled abuse.

This is a serious security concern for very vulnerable estranged students who have to keep a low profile and ensure that their contact info & photos remain private.
Particularly survivors of honour abuse, sexual violence or hate crime.

I always advise them not to book graduation ceremonies & ensure that they as many people as possible at uni know that they won't be attending.
This is what I have done my entire uni life.
Alas, almost all the graduation ceremonies that I avoided were attended by the very bad apples and their clique of scumbags that I will avoid like the plague for all eternity.
I doubt that they spent any more on graduation ceremony tickets than I did.

P.S Sorry for derailing your thread OP.
Original post by londonmyst
That doesn't always apply, I wish it did.

Some venues have appallingly low security and don't check. :facepalm:
Or permit tickets to be sold on the door. :banghead:
A few institutions in England & Northern Ireland have a horrifying tradition of employing multiple cruel or corrupt lecturers who are in the habit of leaking graduation dates to the relatives/former partners of estranged students who have fled abuse.

This is a serious security concern for very vulnerable estranged students who have to keep a low profile and ensure that their contact info & photos remain private.
Particularly survivors of honour abuse, sexual violence or hate crime.

I always advise them not to book graduation ceremonies & ensure that they as many people as possible at uni know that they won't be attending.
This is what I have done my entire uni life.
Alas, almost all the graduation ceremonies that I avoided were attended by the very bad apples and their clique of scumbags that I will avoid like the plague for all eternity.
I doubt that they spent any more on graduation ceremony tickets than I did.

P.S Sorry for derailing your thread OP.

That is truly shocking - can't those lecturers be reported for breaking safeguarding rules?
That is truly shocking - can't those lecturers be reported for breaking safeguarding rules?

Yes, they can be reported.
But the unis mostly ignore.
A few with the worst reputations for this habitually threaten legal action against those who make complaints or attempt to raise the issue on behalf of the students being put at risk.
Never take positive action to stop it.
Nor try to make changes to secure the ability to obtain access to graduation ceremony info to only the relevant staff who need to know.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending