The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Parents of Durham University 2022 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Daughter just got rejected for law, doesn’t seem to upset and is just relieved to finally have a decision after 7 months. She’s going to firm Cambridge, but isn’t too sure whether to insure Exeter or Edinburgh. Does anyone know which of the two is better? Also, best of luck to those still waiting !!
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by Micky J
My YP knocked back for Law. I guess 8s and 9s, 3 x A* and EPQ A* and working your absolute butt off all of the time isn’t enough if your parents have scrimped, sacrificed and saved and sent you to private school… so disappointed

God forbid considering that it might be a subpar personal statement or LNAT score then...
Original post by Anonymous
Daughter just got rejected for law, doesn’t seem to upset and is just relieved to finally have a decision after 7 months. She’s going to firm Cambridge, but isn’t too sure whether to insure Exeter or Edinburgh. Does anyone know which of the two is better? Also, best of luck to those still waiting !!

I don't know about Edinburgh specifically but I'm fairly sure you want to check for law they're not teaching mostly Scottish law if she potentially wants to practice in England as that may make things more difficult later.
Original post by Micky J
My YP knocked back for Law. I guess 8s and 9s, 3 x A* and EPQ A* and working your absolute butt off all of the time isn’t enough if your parents have scrimped, sacrificed and saved and sent you to private school… so disappointed

As had been said before statistically your child being privately educated still had a far higher chance of getting into Durham than any state school applicant even with contextual offers .
Original post by Micky J

Loads of rejections for Law, with similar grades, unfortunately, so they're not alone. You'll never know if the private education was a factor as, if Durham had a choice between two candidates with the same grades and everything else similar except that one was from a state school and the other from a private school, you understand why they might choose the state school applicant... but, as I said, you'll never know if that was the case.
I wonder if all this will make parents realise that a private education is not necessary - that their children can get top grades by, as you said, 'working their butts off' at a state school, thereby saving themselves a lot of money
But it's about your YP now - they've had the education they've had (and perhaps there were other things that made it worth the money...?) - what are their options now?
Original post by Micky J

Would your YP have got those grades if you'd sent them to the local state school instead?
Would your YP have got those grades if you'd sent them to the local state school instead?

Exactly this! 👌
My son was rejected for CompSci last night - A*A*A*A plus 9999999998 - reason stated was that his grades weren't high enough - now has to grapple with A*A*A* offer from Manchester or A*AAA plus STEP 2 from Imperial (plus a A*AA from Birmingham which he'll Insure) - just seems a completely crazy year for our YP - as parents, we are struggling as to what to advise him to do for his Firm - both these offers are from great Unis but are so risky - he'd been placing everything on getting a sensible offer from DU but now he's feeling really despondent and wondering whether to just take a gap year and re-apply next year with his known grades - big sigh!
My son was rejected for CompSci last night - A*A*A*A plus 9999999998 - reason stated was that his grades weren't high enough - now has to grapple with A*A*A* offer from Manchester or A*AAA plus STEP 2 from Imperial (plus a A*AA from Birmingham which he'll Insure) - just seems a completely crazy year for our YP - as parents, we are struggling as to what to advise him to do for his Firm - both these offers are from great Unis but are so risky - he'd been placing everything on getting a sensible offer from DU but now he's feeling really despondent and wondering whether to just take a gap year and re-apply next year with his known grades - big sigh!

People who did that last year have found themselves in a worse position this year, so think about it really carefully...

So sorry to hear this and what amazing grades he has. The reason given by Durham just doesn't make sense and I understand the other offers look scary but it seems he is on course to achieve them, fingers crossed.

Our YP is definitely going for the gap year. Still not heard back from Durham but they seem ambivalent to this now as they feel sure it will be a rejection. They are young for the year and not really ready yet so it may do them a favour - 'everything happens for a reason'.

The only problem is, A*A*A and all 8/9 may continue to not be enough for entry next year so we are bracing ourselves to be in the same position 12 months from now (but without the exam stress).

It's so difficult to know what to do but I wish him (and you) well with whatever lies ahead.
So sorry to hear this and what amazing grades he has. The reason given by Durham just doesn't make sense and I understand the other offers look scary but it seems he is on course to achieve them, fingers crossed.

Our YP is definitely going for the gap year. Still not heard back from Durham but they seem ambivalent to this now as they feel sure it will be a rejection. They are young for the year and not really ready yet so it may do them a favour - 'everything happens for a reason'.

The only problem is, A*A*A and all 8/9 may continue to not be enough for entry next year so we are bracing ourselves to be in the same position 12 months from now (but without the exam stress).

It's so difficult to know what to do but I wish him (and you) well with whatever lies ahead.

It is difficult and while not in the exact same situation I can talk from a Gap year point if view. Both my YP took gap years and as they were young in the year I found this helped enormously. It gave them the chance to volunteer and experience paid work and I am convinced that their personal statements were stronger for this.My daughter got an unconditional offer from Durham in February and applying with known grades definitely helped her feel more confident. Gap years have a lot if benefits so everything as said may happen for a reason.
Hope this helps
The whole system needs an overhaul everyone should be applying with achieved grades I hope the rumours are true and that this may be coming in the future .
People who did that last year have found themselves in a worse position this year, so think about it really carefully...

Than you for replying - in what way are they in a worse position?
It is difficult and while not in the exact same situation I can talk from a Gap year point if view. Both my YP took gap years and as they were young in the year I found this helped enormously. It gave them the chance to volunteer and experience paid work and I am convinced that their personal statements were stronger for this.My daughter got an unconditional offer from Durham in February and applying with known grades definitely helped her feel more confident. Gap years have a lot if benefits so everything as said may happen for a reason.
Hope this helps

I most definately can see the benefits of a gap year - time to breath and take stock, gain some experience (both work and life!) and to re-apply without the exam pressure and knowing their grades - my son really didn't intend to take this route but as you say, everything happens for a reason and maybe its for the best - how lovely that your daughter received an unconditional from DU - I hope she has a wonderful time - its such a lovely uni - we visited only last week!

Thank you so smuch for taking the time to reply - I do feel DU has put a lot of our YP off by taking so long and being so un-engaging with them - what a crazy situation when A*s and 8/9s is not enough - really don't know what our YP are supposed to do!

I wish your YP good luck in whatever they choose to do
I most definately can see the benefits of a gap year - time to breath and take stock, gain some experience (both work and life!) and to re-apply without the exam pressure and knowing their grades - my son really didn't intend to take this route but as you say, everything happens for a reason and maybe its for the best - how lovely that your daughter received an unconditional from DU - I hope she has a wonderful time - its such a lovely uni - we visited only last week!

Thank you and best of luck to your son whatever he decides x
Than you for replying - in what way are they in a worse position?

It would seem that there's more competition. They've had rejections from unis that they had an offer from last year (having achieved the grades they were predicted), or haven't heard from unis (incl. Durham) that they had heard from by this time last year.
I would say it's worth planning to go this year - research and get excited about other choices - a place can always be declined at a later date and a gap year taken.
God forbid considering that it might be a subpar personal statement or LNAT score then...

Anything is possible, but the PS was well vetted and LNAT above other offers I’ve seen.
Grade inflation was far worse in 2021 than 2020 so I suspect there will be even more students with 8/9 applying next year.

One thing I have noticed is that so far I haven’t seen one single person rejected due to their academic references but I am sure they play a role. So students with amazing predicted grades may not have academic references that match (I know there are students at my YP’s school who are some way off their predicted grades).
Original post by Laburnum1
As had been said before statistically your child being privately educated still had a far higher chance of getting into Durham than any state school applicant even with contextual offers .

It’s probably evens out - YP had better access to online learning during the pandemic, so overall lower marks from a state school are probably the same as all A*s. But the amount of work done to stay at this level has been incredible, so feels wrong not to have your choice of university.

Quick Reply

Latest